Aliens of Charted Space Vol. 1 - It Is Here!

A bit off-topic, but when I googled “K’Kree food” the first image suggested was “21 foods that starts with K” ...

A bit funny, if slightly macabre :D

Is there any word on when in December Aliens of Charted Space Vol. 2 will be out? I notice it's first on the list for December, which implies soon. I'm eagerly awaiting for it and The Solomani Front.

heron61 said:
Is there any word on when in December Aliens of Charted Space Vol. 2 will be out? I notice it's first on the list for December, which implies soon. I'm eagerly awaiting for it and The Solomani Front.

We are aiming for the week of the 14th for Volume 2. We will have the last of the art in this week, all going well, and so it will just be a case of final layout, deck plans, and the like.

Solomani Front will be coming next year now, and Glorious Empire will appear beforehand. On the other hand, the first Solomani Adventure (written by Seth Skorkowsky) will appear very quickly after Solomani Front.

MongooseMatt said:
heron61 said:

We are aiming for the week of the 14th for Volume 2. We will have the last of the art in this week, all going well, and so it will just be a case of final layout, deck plans, and the like.
Is Aliens of Charted Space Vol. 2 still coming out this week?

Lurking Grue said:
Excellent news! Been really waiting for this book.

However, looking at the preview on DrivethruRPG, it would seem that the third Aslan word generation table, 'Final Consonants', is wrong. The last column (pronunciation aid) is off by one row. E.g. KH should be "loch", L should be "all", LR should be "all right" and so on. (I attached a screen capture to illustrate my point. -- EDIT: Which doesn't seem to work, it's not showing.)

So I brought this issue up back when it appeared in the First Edition of Aslan. You know, I never thought to check if it happened to get fixed in the Drinax box set.

Well, I finally got a chance to start a first-pass read, and this kinda jumped out at me.

On page 44 (Aslan section, Mustering Out, Other Benefits, in the entry for Clan Shares), under Corporation the text says "The Traveller owns an operating corporation. It has MCr500000 in assets per Clan Share spent and produces gross profits equal to 1D-5% of its assets per year." This seems a trifle... excessive. Since some of the careers offer benefits of up to 5 Clan shares at a time, if taken that way, the RAW would be giving such a Traveller two and a half trillion credits at a time. (And to think that there used to be worries about the potential for min-max abuse of the Dillatante rules!)

Galadrion said:
Well, I finally got a chance to start a first-pass read, and this kinda jumped out at me.

On page 44 (Aslan section, Mustering Out, Other Benefits, in the entry for Clan Shares), under Corporation the text says "The Traveller owns an operating corporation. It has MCr500000 in assets per Clan Share spent and produces gross profits equal to 1D-5% of its assets per year." This seems a trifle... excessive. Since some of the careers offer benefits of up to 5 Clan shares at a time, if taken that way, the RAW would be giving such a Traveller two and a half trillion credits at a time. (And to think that there used to be worries about the potential for min-max abuse of the Dillatante rules!)

Where is JMISBEST when we need him?

It's the same as Travellers' Aid Society membership?

The clan could file for Chapter Eleven.

Only a dangerous gambit can save them, and your stake, from extinction.

I just bought Aliens vol 1 and while, overall it’s great and I’m looking forward to including them into my campaign, I am disappointed by the typos still in there four years after publication.
For example, the Asian Ceremonial career has a corporate row on the advancement / survival table and has swapped ranks/bonuses with the Management career.
I know that Mongoose has a bad reputation for proofreading but I thought that the situation was improving.
Why are these errors still uncorrected?

It has MCr500000 in assets per Clan Share spent and produces gross profits equal to 1D-5% of its assets per year." This seems a trifle... excessive
Also, while I presume that Cr we’re meant rather than MCr, 1D-5% means that you only get a 1% payout every six years (on average) and nothing the other 5. That is not a good return rate!

We have some revised rules for the Aslan benefits here:

Let me look into that career today...
I also note that the Aslan word generator list don’t add up (page 12). While there are 87 initial consonants, the vowels and final consonants are both under by 3.
The text also refers to the frequency of “h” as a final consonant as 10, but it does not appear in the list. There is “kh” at 10…

You are right about the vowel list (being off by 3), but to my calculations there are actually 47 final consonant occurrences on that list like it says. However, there is another problem with that Final Consonant table, which I reported way back in 2020. The pronunciation column is still off by one row.

it would seem that the third Aslan word generation table, 'Final Consonants', is wrong. The last column (pronunciation aid) is off by one row. E.g. KH should be "loch", L should be "all", LR should be "all right" and so on.

Looking at the original CT Alien Module 1: Aslan, where this very same table is, the first row should read "H | 10 | like how".

You are right about the vowel list (being off by 3), but to my calculations there are actually 47 final consonant occurrences on that list like it says. However, there is another problem with that Final Consonant table, which I reported way back in 2020. The pronunciation column is still off by one row.

Looking at the original CT Alien Module 1: Aslan, where this very same table is, the first row should read "H | 10 | like how".
1714424204400.png

I’ve put all the elements into a spreadsheet, so that I can use Vlookup with a random number between 1 and the maximum (set to TRUE to select between the values) and you can see the totals of each in the middle columns.

On the plus side, my hard copy of the pronunciation looks right .
1714424546385.png

Back