Age of Treason WOW!!!!!!!

Fiddler

Mongoose
The Age of Treason book arrived at my doorstep and it looks great.

Love the Emperors cult write up in the first chapter.

The interior art by Mark Stacy is fantastic. ( Hope he gets more art work for future Legend titles.)

AThanks to all involved for making a great looking book.

( Now I have to find a group to play it with.)

Fiddler said:

The interior art by Mark Stacy is fantastic. ( Hope he gets more art work for future Legend titles.)

AThanks to all involved for making a great looking book.

When can i buy it online!!!??

I'm interested in this setting, but would like to hear some more about it first. Be sure to post a review here once you have had time to give it a read through.

Fiddler said:

Thanks to all involved for making a great looking book.

Thanks for the appreciation! You are also blessed with so good an order fulfilment system you got a copy before the author did. I'm on holiday for a couple of days so I hope to see mine when I get back. Until then I look forward to comments from you and others who have bought it.

I am honestly wowed by this book. You can't have just written this up in a couple of months. It feels like it might be your own campaign world with the new rules written into it for good measure.

The new rules are really why I got this book but I'm interested in the world itself now. Never been much of a pre-generated world person, prefer to make my own but this is actually interesting.

Age of Treason - Lots of Cool Stuff

A friend picked up Age of Treason for me at Gencon and I have been perusing it for the last couple of weeks.

I like this setting. There are a lot of very nice applications of and/or tweaks to the "Legend" core rules. Lots of cool stuff to borrow if you don't run your game the Age of Treason setting.

Examples of Magical Cool Stuff:
The religion of the Taskan Empire is a pantheon of gods which have some relevance to the peoples lives. The typical RQ cults don't control worship. Worship is an individual thing. Most people aren't initiated to a god, but attend the Holy Festivals and worship them. A person can establish a pact with a diety at special services, sacred sites, or even in the presence of a "Holy Man". A person can have pacts with several of the deities in the pantheon (requires at least one dedicated POW as usual), but they have one skill which applies to worshipping all of the gods in the pantheon. That skill is effectively Lore (pantheon). You can get divine magic from any of the gods you have a pact with, limited by the POW you have dedicated to that god. The gods only offer a few divine spells each.

Official religious worship is performed using various sorcery rituals to establish worship.

Cults of the gods do exist and there may be several rival cults worshipping a god. Cults may require that a person have a pact with the god as a prerequisite to joining.

Common magic is not common in the Taskan Empire. In fact, it is rare. Some special cults may offer magic that is essentially like common magic spells.

Sorcery is common. There are sorcery spells that are in the "public domain" and published for all who can read and understand them to use. These are mostly worship spells. Wealthy families may have a Family Grimoire with possibly more adventurer friendly spells. However, generally only people trained as a sorcerer's apprentice will have the Manipulation skill. So lots of sorcery at minimum levels. One NPC in the intro adventure has a family grimoire with 9 spells: Abjure Grief, Abjure Love, Restoration, Sanctify, Sense Honour, Worship Thesh, Worship Samanse, Worship Tethis, Worship Tarsen. I think this was intended to show a typical family grimoire. The Sanctify and Worship spells allow him to perform worship services where people can ask the gods for blessings.

Blessings are a new minor magic available. They are essentially one time benefits granted by a god. They can be acquired at properly sanctified worship services, usually performed by a professional priest. In game terms, they typically grant a 10% bonus one or more skills for a short duration. A carpenter might get a blessing from Hoonvel which gives him a 10% bonus to his Craft (Carpentry) skill for a skill test or an extended task. A warrior might ask Machank for a blessing to make his weapon true, which may grant a 10% bonus to his attacks for the duration of a combat. A typical character would be able to have 3 blessings available at time.

Spirit Walking is rare (a heroic ability or special divine magic).
Spirits are called to the shaman, or sought out at places where they are known to frequent.
Spirits can manifest into the physical world. Spirits may be able to force a person into Spectral Combat.
Spectral combat takes place in the physical world. (No getting jerked out of your body.)
You can do other things while being attacked by a spirit, if you need to.
You use your full Persistence skill or Spirit Binding skill (whichever is greater) to battle the spirit.
Several spirit Traditions are described.

Sorcery Duration (see the table in the preview) is extended over the core rules. Those of us who liked the long durations of AHRQ3 will like this. Two caveats: the maximum length of time for a spell is A Year & A Day (or POW X 1 month if you prefer); and the sorcerer can not begin to recover the magic points in the spell until it ends.

Alchemy is a form of sorcery. Manipulations include doses and shelf-life.

Enchanting is a form of sorcery. It generally involves permanent investment of characteristic points, not just POW. Characteristic points yielded are spent to add abilities to enchanted items. The amount of return on investment depends on the Grimoire skill. At 40%, a sorcerer could sacrifice up to 1/4 of a characteristic and receive 1D4 per point sacrificed to be spent on the enchantment.
Basic enchantments are generally available in standard sorcery grimoires. They include Create Familiar, Write Grimoire (sort of extra memory for spells), and Create Magic Source (object with MPs that regenerate).
Advanced enchants require the Enchanting Ritual and Craft(Enchanter) skill. These let you create enchantments with virutes and conditions. Virtues are grouped by the characteristic sacrificed for them. Some of the virtues are Armouring, Life Supporting, Anticipation, Magic Damage, Wand, Haste, and Fetish.

Non-Magic related Cool Stuff:
Extended tasks - this applies the Extended tasks rules introduced in Arms and Equipment to tasks other than crafting, engineering and mechanisms. Persuasion (influence, seduction, etc) and Education (a new skill) are given rules and examples for extended tasks. This opens up a lot of other possibilities for using extended tasks. Lockpicking and searching an area come to mind. There is a several page section devoted to the arts of persuasion and oratory and bribery.

Brawl skill replaces Unarmed as a common skill. Improvised and street weapons increase damage and may allow certain Combat Manoeuvres. For example, a broken bottle adds does a D3+1 damage and allows Bleed and Slash combat manoeuvres. Slash is a new combat manoeuvre.
The Brawl skill can be used by a person using a long weapon when their opponent has closed on them.

Drive is a common skill, Ride is not. You can sit on a horse while it walks and use Drive for steering and simple problems. Difficult terrain or problems require ride skill, or get off the horse and walk. To fight from horseback requires the Ride skill. To fight effectively from horseback requires Mounted Combat skill.

The Funeral Clubs are an interesting concept. Sort of social clubs whose members guarantee that they will provide a proper cremation and funeral for its members, they will be remembered on the proper Holy Days. This is very important in the Taskan Empire. Some have become much more than that and provide other services.

Some interesting tweaks to the combat rules regarding weapon styles and shield use.

The intro adventure is very interesting. The designer used it to good affect to introduce the setting and to demonstrate some of the concepts in the game, including some magic items and spirit traditionalists for the main opponents.

Essentially, the player characters are starting youngsters out to perform their mandatory two year militia service for the Emperor. They all end up in the same half-file of a company. (assuming that you have 6 or fewer PCs) I am going the have to sit down and tinker with this because it seems that it may be very deadly for the relative novice characters. The pre-generated characters mostly have low combat scores. They do get a little training, but it seems inadequate. But it looks fun none the less. I think a solo run through is in order.

The setting itself is interesting and has potential for lots of different styles of game.

Did I mention that every citizen of the Taskan Empire has a Pact(Emperor) skill and one POW devoted to it? The benefit is citizenship in the empire.

mwsasser said:
I am honestly wowed by this book. You can't have just written this up in a couple of months.

Guilty as charged :wink: . This one has been maturing for some 25 years. It took a full year to collate, revise, convert to latest ruleset and tyre-kick - but that is at least in part because it is not a day job. On the plus side there is a lot more material in the pipeline that won't take a year to get to press.

Simulacrum said:
Guilty as charged :wink: . This one has been maturing for some 25 years. It took a full year to collate, revise, convert to latest ruleset and tyre-kick - but that is at least in part because it is not a day job. On the plus side there is a lot more material in the pipeline that won't take a year to get to press.

Well if it's as meaty as Age of Treason then I'll be in line to buy a copy. Thanks for taking the time to write it up for us.

Glorantha was a setting I often loved but which vanished up its own posterior from time to time with utterly gigantic NPCs and magical effects that spoiled the gritty atmosphere of the classic Rubble/Borderlands settings and made players seem like insects. Non-human races that belittled their abilities were also a bit of a pain - although easily balanced with some negative traits. As I have a God/Emperor cult in my own ancient (Yup another 25+ years of misspent youth/middle age campaign writing) setting and some long term sorcerous enchantments AoT looks like a great fit. Like the idea of a social standing stat too. I'm certainly eager for more AoT.

It's got to the stage where social factors mean I can't get the old huge involved campaigns going anymore and I've starting buying up well written stuff just to read (If there are lots of eager RQ gamers out there in Dundee I don't know about reading this - PM me now!). I think the big appeal of the RQ6 material may well be the quality of the writers, Pete Nash and Lawrence Whitaker have written some spectacularly good stuff (Rush song puns and all). I look back on the Griffin Mountain, Borderlands and Pavis books (Especially the sheer 'bang for your buck' of the Moon Design re-eleases) as a kind of gold standard to judge fantsy rpg releases (And my own writing) by. AoT looks like it might be heading for that standard and Whitaker and Nash have already shown they can hit the bullseye. Expensive days ahead...

Must pop off and mug an investment banker for the required spondoolicks!

Well I live in Edinburgh and my in-laws in Dundee and I've been running a RQ campaign set in Second Age Glorantha for about 3 years now. It doesn't take that long to come down by train or car and you're welcome to a game or two.

I tend to agree that Glorantha went down a track I wasn't interested in with the clan and community and myth re-enactment stuff. Glorantha has always had "nuclear" magic, right from the days of Griffin Mountain so I don't think much changed there. Anyway, this is getting off-topic. I'm looking forwards to picking up Age of Treason before too long. I've enjoyed what I've seen so far.

I'll put in an order for a future AoT supplement; It would be nice to have floor plan, description and some art for a typical Zagas Taga temple plus some examples of the 'staff' and their daily routines. If treason is a mainstay of adventures in AoT and the Emperor cult is so central, then I expect intrigues in and around temples will often feature.

Ta Deleriad. PMed you regarding Dundonians.

Happily second call for an Age of treason follow up. Like the full page art. More maps and plans would certainly have helped although I imagine this is a cost issue. Damn good stuff though. Well done Simulacrum.

Agree to the wow. I picked up the pdf version and have to say this is the best campaign setting I have ever seen, period. I very much like the ancient world/sword-and-sorcery feel. Plus the map is yards better than any I have ever looked at, Glorantha and Greyhawk included. This is my campaign world now. Also, many annoying problems in MRQII are fixed by the variant rules in AoT. This is just a magnificent piece of work.

However--- any chance someone could put the character sheet up on the forum? There is somehow an error in the char sheet in my pdf and I cannot print it out!

However--- any chance someone could put the character sheet up on the forum? There is somehow an error in the char sheet in my pdf and I cannot print it out!
The last page (202) of the PDF seems to have a glitch. I was able to print out the character sheet by going directly to page 200 which is the first page of the character sheet. I printed it and then advanced one page to 201 and printed it. If I advance one more to page 202 or if I click the last page button, I get an error message from Adobe Reader. "There was an error processing a page. Wrong operand type."

It would still be nice if the character sheet was available as a separate document.

dbhoward said:
Plus the map is yards better than any I have ever looked at, Glorantha and Greyhawk included.

Thanks dbh. I forwarded your comment on to Jared, the cartographer, who I'm sure will be chuffed to read it - if Americans do "chuffed", I'm not sure.

dbhoward said:

When I saw this I dropped a note to Mongoose yesterday. I don't know if they'll find a glitch in the pdf, but in any event it would be a good idea to get the character sheet up on the site for dl as a separate file.

AoT background said:
Actors mostly make their living by reciting poetry and if they cannot get that sort of work, as clowns.

AoT background said:
Here are those of perfectly good family and comfortable means who utterly fail to make anything but a nuisance of themselves.

Excellent! I'm really enjoying the erudition and dry humour in this book.

PDF problem is fixed. I spoke with the good folks at Drivethru RPG and got a new one, works fine now.

Still it would be good to be able to get the sheet separately, as we can the map.

Speaking of the map: no, I don't think Americans ever get "chuffed." :)

I also downloaded a new copy of the Age of Treason PDF and it appears to be fine.

The filesize of the corrupted version was about 42MB and the good file's size is about 17MB. When I downloaded the first file from DriveThruRPG.com on 9/2 I was also downloading a bunch of other items and they were packaged together into a ZIP. This time I downloaded the AoT PDF by itself and it was fine. There is a "-O" tacked on to the name of the file. I don't know if that means it is a new file made available for download, or if it indicated that it is a redownload of a file I previously bought and downloaded.

Back