Age of Treason - Updated Preview and map for download

Simulacrum

Mongoose
Those nice chaps at Mongoose found time to put a new preview of Age of Treason on the site, with all new pages taken from the Legend-badged final version - and revealing one of the lovely full page illustrations by Mark Stacey.

A high res version of the main setting map by Jared Blando is also there for you to download. You can find both links at the bottom of this page:

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/rpgs/legend/age-of-treason/age-of-treason-core-book.html

Simulacrum said:
Those nice chaps at Mongoose found time to put a new preview of Age of Treason on the site, with all new pages taken from the Legend-badged final version - and revealing one of the lovely full page illustrations by Mark Stacey. A high res version of the main setting map by Jared Blando is also there for you to download.
It looks unbelievable. No time for more comments... I must go buy it now.

It looks a very nicely layout and excellent artwork. I haven't noticed a single typo yet (may be a record for a Mongoose preview!)

One question from looking at the map. Does the book have details about roads, trails, routes, etc. e.g., what's the main way through the Forest of Sard; straight through the middle or around it to the East?

Stainless said:
One question from looking at the map. Does the book have details about roads, trails, routes, etc. e.g., what's the main way through the Forest of Sard; straight through the middle or around it to the East?

In the "Exploring the Empire" chapter you'll find plenty on getting around by sea, river and road, with information on ships and sailing times between the main ports, the imperial road system, weather, hazards, inns and waystations and likely encounters on the road.

The following chapter "Beyond the Frontiers" describes each of the main regions bordering the Empire, and each description includes a "getting there" section that outlines the usual and alternative routes and means of travel, and a "relations" section that tells you what sort of reception a Taskan citizen is likely to recieve when they arrive.

The Adventures section focuses on the korazoon desert and includes more detailed information on travel in that particular region.

In the middle of reading the "Beyond the frontier" chapter in AoT.

This is a great setting sort of reminds me of the first few Thieves World books.

I like the way you altered the magic systems to fit in the setting. I just wish for more examples in the Sorcery chapter for Alchemy and Enchanting.

Where did you get the idea for Funeral Clubs?

I also like your ideas for the Vampire Cults and that they are a new cult in the world.

Ok when you get your copy Simulacrum, who are the soldiers fighting in the full page picture
on page 108.

Thanks again for a great setting.

Fiddler said:
This is a great setting sort of reminds me of the first few Thieves World books.

If you have the Thieves' World setting material (I have the Chasium boxed set from way back) it can be quite comfortably dropped in, perhaps as one of the cities of Djesmirket or Morkesh on the South coast. With more work, it could be used for the Jekkarene port of Lyortha. I can provide some guidance notes on that if anyone is interested.

Fiddler said:
I like the way you altered the magic systems to fit in the setting. I just wish for more examples in the Sorcery chapter for Alchemy and Enchanting.

You will find further examples in the Adventures section. If you look at the stats for unit commander Timor Tarasin on page 145, he has two enchanted items created using the rules in the book - The Sword of the Tarasids and Otek's Dead Hand. I fully statted these items to show the rules at work, but there are more shorthand ways of describing their powers and effects (just as for spirits).

Simulacrum said:
Ok when you get your copy Simulacrum, who are the soldiers fighting in the full page picture on page 108.

I have my copy! The soldiers are modelled on the pregen PCs given in the appendix - Arakis Marank and Farsha Kitarang are recongniseable. Arakis also provides the model for the warrior in the full page illo on page 182. Likewise the nomad attackers include NPC foes from the Adventures section - you would Notice Pashut (stats on page 149) and Pancha and Tothet (stats on page 160), with active Jackal, Crow and Armadillo spirits respectively. Their active spirits affect their appearance. This is a visible magical effect, not a shapeshift.

Fiddler said:
Thanks again for a great setting.

And thanks for the feedback - I really hope you enjoy it.

I'd second the call for any notes on integrating AoT with Thieves World. It's a great setting and I've set it beside the old Runequest Questworld/Gateway setting in the past so any thoughts/notes would be appreciated. Cheers.

Stainless said:
Another question for you Jonathan. In creating the AoT setting, what novels inspired you?

At risk of sounding like a Philistine, I have to admit I don't really read novels, let alone fantasy novels. There's only one that is really in the DNA of the setting - and that is The Golden Ass of Lucius Apuleius. It's a Roman comic novel, based on an earlier Greek story. I liked it enough to write my master's thesis on it. I do read a shed load of historical non-fiction (mostly ancient history), and I make substantial use of that to help inform the basic social and economic structures of the setting as well as inspiration for colour.

Richard said:
I'd second the call for any notes on integrating AoT with Thieves World. It's a great setting and I've set it beside the old Runequest Questworld/Gateway setting in the past so any thoughts/notes would be appreciated. Cheers.

If I can work out how to wiki I'll do that. If I can't I'll make a thread on the forum.

Simulacrum said:
At risk of sounding like a Philistine, I have to admit I don't really read novels, let alone fantasy novels. There's only one that is really in the DNA of the setting - and that is The Golden Ass of Lucius Apuleius. It's a Roman comic novel, based on an earlier Greek story. I liked it enough to write my master's thesis on it. I do read a shed load of historical non-fiction (mostly ancient history), and I make substantial use of that to help inform the basic social and economic structures of the setting as well as inspiration for colour.

Not philistinic at all. I have a house groaning under the weight of non-fiction books ranging from science (I'm a scientist) through history (lotsa), philosophy, visual arts, education theory, and other various. It also groans under a lot of fiction and poetry. I assumed you'd been greatly inspired by history but I limited my query to fiction for that would inform one best on the types of adventures possible in the AoT setting. I've never read The Golden Ass, but at 86 pence on Amazon for the Kindle version, it's on my (very long) reading list.

AoT is now listed at Leisure Games and mine is on its way!

Can I ask about the world of AoT, how 'complete' or all-inclusive is the setting? Ie. does the setting cover the entire world? The reason I ask is that I am wondering how easy would it be to insert this Empire within my homebrew world which contains two (mainly) human empires: one that has recently fallen and is experiencing a civil war, and another that's still surviving but is rather decadent. These two used to be a single twin empire. Think of Western and Eastern Rome kind of deal?

Verderer said:
Can I ask about the world of AoT, how 'complete' or all-inclusive is the setting? Ie. does the setting cover the entire world? The reason I ask is that I am wondering how easy would it be to insert this Empire within my homebrew world which contains two (mainly) human empires: one that has recently fallen and is experiencing a civil war, and another that's still surviving but is rather decadent. These two used to be a single twin empire. Think of Western and Eastern Rome kind of deal?

If you look at the main map - which can be downloaded from the product page - it extends a bit over a thousand miles. This is the area covered in some detail. The rest of the world is shown in a map showing the position of the continents - which are only briefly described - the world being about 7,000 miles across. You could of course ignore that, and drop the Taskan Empire into your world map. The main thing is whether its neighbouring lands can also fit in, as the presence of these affects the given history and cultural notes. If not bound by existing Geography, the Korantine Empire could be adapted to your existing broken human Empires. The Taskan Empire would be their new, dangerously energetic rival. To use the adventures more or less as written you simply need to maintain the desert frontier region in the south.

The overall feel is quite Late Roman/Byzantine/Persian, which may or may not work for you

It's a human world - there are no "non-human" species such as Elves and Dwarves (Dwarfs?).

Sounds like it might work with a bit of effort, then. Thanks for the info Simulacrum. Byzantine feel would work with my campaign. At the very least I can poach some ideas characters etc. from it.

Another question occurred to me: it seems that the Emperor is a (semi-?) divine being, judging from the cult of the Emperor? How does he relate to the the other Gods, from what I read it seems there's a large pantheon? Or is this GM secret stuff? :wink:

Verderer said:
Another question occurred to me: it seems that the Emperor is a (semi-?) divine being, judging from the cult of the Emperor? How does he relate to the the other Gods, from what I read it seems there's a large pantheon? Or is this GM secret stuff?

He's on his way. He already possesses the "Deity" trait that allows him to recieve POW dedications and grant magic and gifts. Because he is still corporeal, his capacity for miracles is limited. He is in the process of accumulating enough dedicated POW to discorporate (permanently) and ascend to full godhood without being consigned to the Many Hells. The date of that event - whether 2 years or 20 years in the future - is one the GM can play with as suits. The knowledge in higher circles that this is going to happen at some point lays behind many of the major plots and conspiracies, as the Empire's factions jockey for their place in the anticipated aftermath.

On the point of the Emperor's present corporeal status, his withdrawal into his palace at Taskay, the side-effects he suffers, etc. I noted that you placed this information up front at the beginning of the book where it's likely to be read by players. Should this information be something the average citizen knows nothing about (and so preferably kept away from players), or is it common knowledge to intelligent/educated citizens?

Stainless said:
On the point of the Emperor's present corporeal status, his withdrawal into his palace at Taskay, the side-effects he suffers, etc. I noted that you placed this information up front at the beginning of the book where it's likely to be read by players. Should this information be something the average citizen knows nothing about (and so preferably kept away from players), or is it common knowledge to intelligent/educated citizens?

I would say that it is stuff that is known in higher circles, and at least rumoured among the chattering classes etc. Some might say "how he suffers for us", others might be to afraid to express private worries that "the Emperor is a monster, who has appointed a monster to rule over us".

But it's a GM-style question here. Personally I think if you keep too many of the campaign secrets completely hidden from players until some later revelation, a game world can seem a bit bland. Better, like a TV show or movie, to have a pre-title opener or teaser that hints at what's going on and why it should be a fun ride, just not reveal how the drama is going to play out, as that's where the players get to be part of it. The reveal later is more about what the relevance is to their characters as it impacts them in unexpected (preferably dangerous) ways.

Ok, what I have read about the book here and in the previews convinced me, so I ordered it (and Wraith Recon) from Mongoose. :)

This whole Emperor setup inevitably reminds me (in a good way, I might add) of GW's Warhammer 40k universe's Emperor. Kinda like a fantasy version of that, of course without the 'goths iiinn spaaace' dimension? :wink:

Good decision Verderer. I'm loving AoT at the moment. It gives me a very Conan/Hyboria + Arabian Nights + Tekumel feel. The writing is very good and intelligent (although I feel there is too little use of commas and occasionally there's an awkward sentence). A few topics could have been written slightly clearer (although they're nowhere near as impenetrable as many other RPG products). So far I've not spotted a single typo so I think that's a record for a Mongoose product! The artwork is relatively sparse but the layout is based on a good system; a couple of full page and excellent pieces of art from which sections are snipped out and duplicated elsewhere in the book. It's a very economical use of art and works well because the parental art pieces are of excellent quality. I so hope I can convince my group to play a campaign with AoT but if not, it's the best general RPG read, just for the sake of reading it, that I've come across in a long time.

Back