Age of Conan - Hyborian Adventures - Maps?

ryhopewood

Mongoose
Hi all

Just checked out the ads at www.conan.com for a new series of novels. I'm sure they are using the map artwork from Conan RPG.

Is this an official thing? Are Mongoose getting in on story publishing?

Just interested.

Ian

Evidently there's some kind of agreement for other Conan licensees to use Mongoose maps. I recall someone saying it was the 'official' Conan map now, but that doesn't entirely make sense as it contains pastiche elements, from the name 'Arenjun' to the tier of black kingdoms below Stygia, which the comic doesn't follow and the Age of Conan novels probably won't. The map is also used on the endpapers of the first Dark Horse Conan hardcover, although the comics aren't using the de Camp/Carter interpretation of the world.

I think I remember them saying that Mongooses map is "canon" now. There were too many different interperatations and arguments over the years about what is where, and about a million different maps of Hyboria so whats on Mongooses maps is "official" now. Thats if im remembering right...

I think its a good idea, I swear every second day someone argues over the placement of some weird village that was mentioned once by Howard or something, the easiest answer is "Whats on the map is official"!

If you look on the background of the cardstock that the new Conan toys come on, you will also see the Mongoose map. I think that is kind of cool.

That is nice to have a standard across all Conan products.

AFAIK, all of the various entities that have a Conan license are supposed to work together. That means, the same font, Mongoose's map, etc. I wouldn't be at all suprised if Conan: The Road of Kings isn't required reading for some people who might be working on other conan projects. :)

Fyrestryke said:
I wouldn't be at all suprised if Conan: The Road of Kings isn't required reading for some people who might be working on other conan projects. :)
While not required, it is encouraged.
Whoops, said too much. :roll:

VincentDarlage said:
There is. If you buy the GM's screen, you get a poster-sized map.
Is this the map you are talking about:
http://www.conan.com/aoc/hyboriamapsmall.jpg
This is different than the one in my Conan book (admittedly not AE).

If this is it, I guess I'd better get the Screen. This map is really nice.

Khristus anahgrecum!
Raphael

Atlantean Edition- the second and current version of core Conan rules.

Raven, who just got the pocket version instead. Much obliged for Mongoose not toting out that 'needing to buy the whole rulebook over again' scam Wizards and others have done. I just had to rebuy 40% of it. 8)

Back