ACTA SF

True but the howling mob out here is getting savage.

Someone needs to throw some meat (or news) to the gamers before they start cutting down trees and making battering rams :lol:

ADB's Facebook page is showing us lots of pretty pictures. The War Eagle with the eagle sculpted into the underside makes me very happy.

There not. check this link http://www.starfleetgames.com/discus/ find the starline 2500 and see it being hashed out. the final approval is with ADB.

Poi said:
ADB's Facebook page is showing us lots of pretty pictures. The War Eagle with the eagle sculpted into the underside makes me very happy.
Not me. I'd prefer a smooth underside onto which a decal eagle can be placed.

The TOS Bird of Prey had a smooth underside with a painted eagle. The Klingon Bird of Prey in the films and later versions of Trek, originally meant to be Romulan, had sculpted feather detail. So did the Romulan cruiser in TNG. Given how concerned ADB are about anything which makes a ship look as though it could violate the licence (e.g. the grille on one of Mongoose's proposals for the Klingon D-7 which apparently made it look like the film version), I'm a little surprised that sculpted feathers on a Romulan ship are being allowed...

Here I come in my unofficial opinion but couple of things,

Poi – I think Sagan hit the nail on the head. Mongoose is waiting for ADB to sign off on the models before they show or say anything. The other thing I am noticing is Mongoose plays things a lot closer to the chest than ADB. Different marketing philosophy at work neither is wrong they are just different. I know SVC has said Mongoose is pushing for a bunch of approvals to be sent actually, today, but with the holiday they will be sent tomorrow.

Adrian – The Eagle being etched into the Warbird models is not even in thee same class as submitting a TOSified Katang class ship. The new Fed CA is getting a Ridge-back that is not in the TOS ship and a few other tweaks. The biggest objection the D7 (which is now the D6 and a new D7 is being worked up) had was the exact same wall the proposed Fed Command Cruiser (Which is getting reworked into a CB Heavy Command Cruiser) ran into. Both of them flew in the face of a 30 year of design and art history. Both were extremely cool models but neither felt or looked like what they were being built to represent. I am sure the ridge panels will return whenever Mongoose gets around to making a D7W (Heavy Command Cruiser) or a DX (Advanced Technology Cruiser). The bottom line on the Eagle was the ADBs community was split on wither or not to have it or not and so SVC decided to let it stay since no one was going to riot over it.

The thing that people need to remember is these ship designs are 30 years old. The ADB community feels toward them much the way the Mongoose community feels to the ACTA rules set when SFBers started adding in their thoughts. Given time everything seems to be balancing out on both sides.

Just a quick note -- ADB posts the pictures so that we can get the widest distribution to our fans and customers who might note that something is more "movie-ish" than we are aware it is. That way neither Mongoose nor ADB ends up in hot water.

Do feel free to like our page on FB so you can get the pictures fed to you. :) And for those of you who have done so and are providing feedback, we do appreciate it. While SVC isn't allowed to post on FB (he needs to be designing stuff!), he does take the time to read the comments and they do factor into his feedback to Mongoose.

Jean

Speaking for myself, I like the Eagle/Falcon on the ventral surface of the ship - so much so, I'd be happy to pay for the romulan version of the D6 and D7 (the KR and the K7R if memory serves) and the rest of the Kestrel family if they had the appropriate markings on their hulls.

One question though - if you're doing that on the Romulan ship, any chance of doing it faintly on the others so we can place the decals or paint them in by hand easier? I'm thinking the Fed ships in particular...

On the other hand, I seriously dislike engraved insignia, to the extent that if the final Mongoose War Eagle has an engraved bird then I'll get someone else's model, perhaps the Starline 2400 one. If all Mongoose ships get engraved insignia then I'll either get all Starline 2400 ships or just not play ACTA:SF at all.

Im of the same opinion. Actually it depends on how cool the Romulans are whether i get the game at all.

If it were my choice, I'd forgo the engraved insignia on the War Eagle also as I prefer to paint the birds myself.
Now, will I let that stop me from getting a few and filling in the bird with putty and painting my own... no. I'll still get either 3 or 6.
Now, if all the ships suddenly develop engraved insignia, I'll not get any of them.

Just my two Quatloos worth. YMMV.

Well, I just remember what it was like trying to get decals from the US - a nightmare, pretty much - the prices when I looked into it were such that you could only get one sheet per order or be slapped with import VAT and fees which added a tenner onto the cost of the sheet - so if I was able to see exactly where the nacelle flashes and the saucer rings were going, it would be a lot easier to paint in. The names and NCC numbers, I can make my own decals for, but I'd like to be able to paint as much as possible onto the miniature.

It's OK for the guys in the US - they've been able to order from ADB and from the US decal makers without limits - but it's a pain having to import into the UK all the time for the smaller bits you need for some projects. I had the same thing with Battletech - all the custom decal makers were based stateside, so importing became an issue...

I would ask that *any* engraved detail be as fine and shallow as you can get it while actually still seeing it though... not gouged out too deeply...

BFalcon said:
Well, I just remember what it was like trying to get decals from the US - a nightmare, pretty much - the prices when I looked into it were such that you could only get one sheet per order or be slapped with import VAT and fees which added a tenner onto the cost of the sheet - so if I was able to see exactly where the nacelle flashes and the saucer rings were going, it would be a lot easier to paint in. The names and NCC numbers, I can make my own decals for, but I'd like to be able to paint as much as possible onto the miniature.

It's OK for the guys in the US - they've been able to order from ADB and from the US decal makers without limits - but it's a pain having to import into the UK all the time for the smaller bits you need for some projects. I had the same thing with Battletech - all the custom decal makers were based stateside, so importing became an issue...

I would ask that *any* engraved detail be as fine and shallow as you can get it while actually still seeing it though... not gouged out too deeply...

Could always ask a US guy to buy some then send them to you, as a gift.

AdrianH: went one better... I... erm... managed to convince myself that the business needed a colour laser... not sure I should have paid out that much, but it's done now...

REALLY not looking forward to replacing multiple toner cartridges though - not at 50 quid a time (4 colours, one per cartridge) - and using non-Brother carts will invalidate the 3-year warranty... so that'll get expensive when that happens... :)

Wouldn't put it past them to put chips in there either, so they can keep tabs on what you're using...

Back on topic, it was just a suggestion I thought might make things easier, guess if people are that opposed to it, it was a bad idea...

And yeah, the BT decals weren't too bad, until the exchange rate tanked... I used to buy from the US all the time, but stopped when it dropped too low... it's getting there though...

Sagan771 said:
There not. check this link http://www.starfleetgames.com/discus/ find the starline 2500 and see it being hashed out. the final approval is with ADB.

I really want to encourage all you guys to get involved in the discussion over at the SFU website that Sagan linked to. Someone posted that it seems to be mainly the SFU guys disparaging the current DNG design. I want to make sure you guys get the chance to be involved over there too and have your say.

Mongoose were looking into doing decals last I heard, so it shouldn't be a problem getting them over here. Know what BFalcon's saying about buying from the US, there's a limit of £18/$28 just now before you risk getting mugged by Customs (and that's being reduced in November :evil: ) so you have to make several smaller orders which bumps up the postage (about $14 a time unless you fancy risking UPS standard mail).

(I'll have to give a mention to Pomroy Productions' SFB decals: $2 per ship for Feds and if Bob can reduce them to 1/7000 scale for a bunch of mine I expect he can scale them up for the Mongoose ships).

As far as the engraved eagles go, I'd be surprised if it's etched deep enough that you couldn't just slap a decal over the top if you liked. Quick splash of Micro Sol and bob's yer pointy-eared uncle.

I'd like to second billclo's request. Many of the posters on the ADB forum do not visit this site and do not hear the opinions of anyone else re: the "tampering with" of thier sacred cow!11 :lol:

It would be nice to see what the ACTA fans think of the new minis.
The direct link to the ADB discussion board thread on STarline 2500 minis is:

STarline 2500 discussions

Back