ACTA - SF Errata

Digger

Mongoose
I have today received the hardback ACTA - SF Manual and I have some questions:

1. Page 7, Attacking - It states "Each weapon system may only fire at one target at a time - you may not split Attack Dice up between different targets". However, on 18, Splitting Fire it states "If a weapon other than a plasma torpedo has more than one Attack Die, a player may choose to split his fire, allocating different Attack Dice to different targets that are within range and fire arc". Which of these statements is correct?

2. Page 8, Critical Hits - Reading the example given with a Federation Heavy Cruiser it says "So, for example, a Federation Heavy Cruiser receives a critical hit to its impulse drive from a phaser. It gains a critical score of 1 on the impulse drive, causing and extra point of damage and is reduced to a maximum speed of 10". However, when you look at the table for the impulse drive, under Critical Score 1 it shows extra damage of 0. Later in the same paragraph it states that a Critical Score of 2 on the Dilithium Chamber table gives 4 extra points of damage, whereas the table states only 1 point of damage. Which is correct.

I am pretty sure there are more examples, which I will attempt to post when I come across them. So far though, it's looking good, nice one guys! :D

Digger said:
1. Page 7, Attacking - It states "Each weapon system may only fire at one target at a time - you may not split Attack Dice up between different targets". However, on 18, Splitting Fire it states "If a weapon other than a plasma torpedo has more than one Attack Die, a player may choose to split his fire, allocating different Attack Dice to different targets that are within range and fire arc". Which of these statements is correct?

Not contradictory - Page 7 is correct unless you start using the Advanced Rules which then supercedes them.

Digger said:
2. Page 8, Critical Hits - Reading the example given with a Federation Heavy Cruiser it says "So, for example, a Federation Heavy Cruiser receives a critical hit to its impulse drive from a phaser. It gains a critical score of 1 on the impulse drive, causing and extra point of damage and is reduced to a maximum speed of 10". However, when you look at the table for the impulse drive, under Critical Score 1 it shows extra damage of 0. Later in the same paragraph it states that a Critical Score of 2 on the Dilithium Chamber table gives 4 extra points of damage, whereas the table states only 1 point of damage. Which is correct.

The table is correct.

lastbesthope said:
So after some time for any others to be spotted, can we get a downloadable errata.

LBH

If needed, of course - at the moment, I am mildly optimistic, as we have already had more eyes go over this book, by far, than any other before release. I won't use the term bullet proof, I won;t say things won't need explaining now and again... but it is a good 'un!

Steve Cole has officially stated today that Romulans shouldn't be able to use carronades. What say you Matt?

http://www.starfleetgames.com/discus/. Look under Joint Venture with Mongoose/A Call to Arms/ General Discussions.

Btw, LimeyDragon. Is the cheat sheet you created for Star Fleet up to date? There's stuff on there that I haven't seen before.

Garydee said:
Btw, LimeyDragon. Is the cheat sheet you created for Star Fleet up to date? There's stuff on there that I haven't seen before.

To my Knowledge, yes.. With that being said, some things may have change in the final release of the rules book. Which I can't confirm until the New Fancy SF books in in my hot little hands...

But if you find mistakes or things that need correcting please feel free to let me know. :D

P17, Plasma Carronades - the blurb states that carronades may be fired every turn, but the weapon has the 'Reload' trait.

P103, the Kzinti frigate gets a range 24 disruptor. I love it, but surely it should be range 15? Also the Orion LR on P110 - should it's disruptor option not be noted as range 15?

P111, the Salvage Cruiser's drones are described as 'Guided' rather than 'Seeking', and lack the 'D6' following 'Multihit'.

Tholian webs are mentioned, but I can't find any rules for them. EDIT - yes, I can. P108.

Otherwise...this looks like a really good port of SFB/FC onto the ACTA game engine. Kudos.

Carronades on Roms: Yep, in the SFU Romulans didn't refit their ships to use carronades. Only the Gorns, Federation, and Orions had carronades (and in the case of the Feds and Pirates, only on those few ships which mounted plasma-F torpedoes).

Carronade reloading is ambiguous... in Federation Commander, a carronade can be fired every turn, it's firing it as a torpedo that requires reloading. My intuition is that you have to reload it if you want to fire a torpedo.

Kzinti disruptor: Federation commander ship card shows range 15 disruptor; so probably should be limited range in ACTA as well.

LimeyDragon said:
Garydee said:

To my Knowledge, yes.. With that being said, some things may have change in the final release of the rules book. Which I can't confirm until the New Fancy SF books in in my hot little hands...

But if you find mistakes or things that need correcting please feel free to let me know. :D

For one thing, I don't think the Bring Battle Shields Online special action exists, unless it's been added to the game at the last minute. :)

Garydee said:

Can you point me at this cheat sheet please? I was just about to start working one up for myself.

msprange said:
Garydee said:
Steve Cole has officially stated today that Romulans shouldn't be able to use carronades. What say you Matt?

Nothing is official unless you see it _here_!

Is that a : Romulans can use them or we are in discussions? :wink:

A few Clarifications if you have a moment please :)

Plasma Bolts: I assume from the text they do not need to be reloaded?
Plasma Carronade: Still needs official clarification if needs to be reloaded?
Asteroid Fields: Previous editions of ACTA had that once your had entered the field (or started within it) you were safe - is this still the case or do you make your CQ check every turn you are within the field - or perhaps just when you move?
Dust Clouds: A ship fired on by a ship inside a dust cloud which already has Stealth would gain a +2 bonus rather than a revised Stealth 5+ trait?
Suicide Shuttle: I assume these explosions (unlike those from Seeking weapons) can leak through shields?
Moons: Do they actually move during the game around their parent planet and if so at what speed.
Will we see rules for ramming in later updates - lets face its very Star Trek ?

thanks

Da Boss said:
Dust Clouds: A ship fired on by a ship inside a dust cloud which already has Stealth would gain a +2 bonus rather than a revised Stealth 5+ trait?

Yes, the stealth roll is made by the ships owner, not by the person shooting. Thus a stealth of 3 add to 2 it is now a 5 stealth. So to avoid being seen/shot at, the ships owner has to roll a 5 or 6 to not be seen.

Thats how I read it but the rules don't actually spell it out as they do when the ship is attacked within a dust cloud and you know someone is going to argue that as it does not say........... :) and laugh manically as they shoot up the cloaked Romulans ;)

Ships ramming ships is prohibited in the SFU. The only exception is Suicide Freighters attacking a base and Suicide Shuttles. Note also Fighters can not ram in SFU either.

Moons and Bases in orbit usually orbit so slow as to not move during a game but, bases can be set to rotate in a game in the SFU.

Back