ACTA:SF - Alternative Universe Project Timeline and thoughts

It's an interesting excercise, but it does rather hit a rock and roll over when I try to imagine vegetarian Kzinti.

Maybe the Kzinti and the Gorns swap cultures?

The Kzin become omnivores who buy their meat shrink-wrapped at Kzesco's whist the Gorns are still down with the whole dinosaur deal and will eat you raw (and yes, they are very partial to a little lawyer, as in Jurassic Park).

Well with the advance of technology and the ability to clone meat the Kzinti could have adopted a Hippy/tree hugger ideal of protecting life and nature and sparing the fluffy animals harm while maintaining a meat diet.

The Gorn on the other hand having evolved from pack hunters (raptors being the most likely sort of Dino to have evolved into an intelligent organised species) stick with the chase it, kill it, eat it attitude. Gorn rations are kept in a pen and released to be chased down the corridors at meal times. :lol:

Also why the Gorn just love boarding and being boarded. Starve the marines a few days before combat and transport them onto the enemy ship. In the case of being boarded an all hands message goes out "DINNER TIME" :twisted:

I seem to remember we talked about this before on the Traveller/SFB topic.

Nomad said:
It's an interesting excercise, but it does rather hit a rock and roll over when I try to imagine vegetarian Kzinti.

Maybe the Kzinti and the Gorns swap cultures?

The Kzin become omnivores who buy their meat shrink-wrapped at Kzesco's whist the Gorns are still down with the whole dinosaur deal and will eat you raw (and yes, they are very partial to a little lawyer, as in Jurassic Park).

Thanks for the thoughts guys:

Initial thoughts on more specific aspects of the proposed universe

Universe "Breaking Point"
Surak fails to become the force that he does in the Primary Universe and although some of his teaching survive, few Vulcans pay much attention to them. The departure of the fleet under the Merchant L'Vor takes with him most of those who are against the continuing and devastating wars. My thought is that the Suraks teachings are kept alive by L'Vors wife and some aspects are adopted as an indulgence by her husband. The Vulcans continue to feud and war until contacted and the subject of bloody conquest by the Celestial Empire. They are now quite rare but make superb warriors and dangerous lovers in the right households.

Celestial Empire

Named for the first human Empress, Celestia, the Empire has roots in the structure of the ancient Chinese equivalent in the Han Dynasty. The Emperor (or Empress) is the commander-in-chief of the armed forces and supreme judge and lawgiver, and perhaps more importantly the only person who can award top posts in central and local administrations. Below the Emperor are his cabinet members known as the Three Instruments of State. These were the Chancellor, Imperial Commander of Works, and Grand Marshal. Numerous Ministries and Functionaries then actually run the majority of Empire, with the Imperial Fleet under the Grand Marshall remaining somewhat independent - which can cause tensions.

Humanity is very much the ruling race, with only humans being allowed to be full citizens of the Empire. The exact treatment of subject races has varied considerably from Emperor to Emperor, depending on his or her tastes. Slavery is fully legal in the Empire and both humans and Aliens suffering in this state.

Klingons
They remain much as they are in the Primary Universe

Romulans
Unlike the Primary Universe, the Romulan's are explorers and traders, at least in their initial centuries and only fight when they have to. Whilst not quite the Vulcans of the Primary universe they do have good control of their emotions. Their technology is extremely advanced and whilst not focussed on warfare is very powerful - I see them as closer to the Culture (Ian Banks Novels) but not at that level of tech obviously! They remain little known in the Universe with only infrequent encounters in the last century - a bit like the Minbari in B5, almost a Myth. Their cloaking technology is both extremely effective and dangerous to non Romulans.

The Gorn
Much more dangerous and belligerent when encountered but happy to keep to their own space. They remain firmly carnivores and will quite happily eat their enemies.

The Kzinti
Again much the same - although I would actually rather the drone weapon system was actually limited to their military............

Other bits and pieces -

Cool idea form the ADb board

In the 160s the Terran Empire is feeling increasingly paranoid, being surrounded by the hostile (i.e. liberal and democratic) Romulans, Klingons and Kzinti. Those empires in turn realise the threat, but leave it too late to re-arm or organise anything beyond a loose defensive alliance. The Terrans decide on a 'Lightning War' strategy to cripple each of their opponents in turn. They smash the Romulans with a swift and devastating assault, but as their fleet sweeps westward to attack the Klingon Republic, the unimaginable happens... The Tholians arrive, and deposit a Dyson sphere smack in the Terran fleet's path. The delay and confusion slows the Terran juggernaut just long enough for the Klingons to avoid being overwhelmed and Terra's momentum is lost. The Kzinti stir into action, and Romulan survivors rally. The Lightning War turns into the Long Slog..

This I all like :).

Some early ideas on Romulan Ships

Snipe Scout Ship 130pts
First designed and constructed centuries ago, the Snipe Scout was used by the early Romulans as an exploration ship used to investigate both interesting celestial phenomena and alien races that could provide trade or other resources. It was not designed to fight but rather use the Cloaking Device to flee any enemies but did carry enough weapons to protect itself in the meantime.

Turn: 3, Shields: 20, Damage: 6/2, Marines: 1, Craft: 1 Shuttle
Traits: Agile, Cloak, Fast, Lab 1, Probe 2, Scout, Tractor Beam 2, Transporter 1,

Phaser 1..........18..........F........2.........Accurate +2, Kill Zone 8, Precise,
Phaser 3...........6...........PH......2........Accurate+1, Kill Zone 2, Precise
Phaser 3...........6...........SH......2........Accurate+1, Kill Zone 2, Precise

SparrowHawk Advanced Exploration Cruiser 300pts
The second generation of Romulan ships were full of highly advanced technology and designed to be able explore the galaxy in secrecy, comfort and safety. The SparrowHawk was not designed for combat, but should it find itself with no other alternative it can easily match any other races cruiser long enough to escape.

Turn: 3, Shields: 30, Damage: 25/6, Marines: 3, Craft: 2 Shuttles,
Traits: Agile, Cloak, Enhanced Bridge, Labs 6, Probe 3, Quick Launch, Scout, Tractor Beam 3, Transporter 2

Phaser 1..........18..........FH......4.........Accurate +2, Kill Zone 8, Precise,
Phaser 1..........18..........AH......2.........Accurate +2, Kill Zone 8, Precise,
Plasma Torp R....16........F.........7.........Devastating, Energy Bleed, Multihit D6, Reload, Seeking,
Plasma Torp R....16........A.........7.........Devastating, Energy Bleed, Multihit D6, Reload, Seeking,
Phaser 3...........6...........PH......4........Accurate+1, Kill Zone 2, Precise
Phaser 3...........6...........SH......4........Accurate+1, Kill Zone 2, Precise

I'd keep R-Type Torp's as Centerline mounts, as they are quite devistating weapon systems. Have you thought that as they are exporing the galaxy, the option of defensive systems would go up (if you can defend and run, it makes more sense for an observer). In that case D-racks (plasma ADD) would seem a very sensible addition to Romulan vessels.

That does make sense - I nearly dropped plasma entirely as not sure it fits but Ii do like the idea of it orginally being a defensive system that also has offensive possibilities...........

Wouldn't drop Plasma, though limit them to around S-type Max for ships that are 'explorers' - you tend to get what i call the 'Puma' factor if you give stuff you don't want to fight big weapons. (Puma was a WWII German Recce AC that had a really good 50mm gun. Good gun, but AC body ment whilst it could punch at above its weight it couldn't take it, so tended to die is straight up fights - far better i'shot and scoot' role). Also, smaller Torp's can have better arcs - rear firing Plasma's are nasty, as you close on them as they close on you (not that effective in ActA, but the psychological effect of running at a Plasma can be quite good. I'd look at the option for lots of smaller torps covering 360*, with a large overlap in it' offensive arc (say F's covering F/P, F/S, A/P, A/S and an S on FH - allows 2 F's in any arc, with the S up front). It is a survey crusier after all.

Plasma D-Racks are kind of a late development in the original timeline, not that they have to be here. I am not at home and can't give you the year, unfortunately. :roll:

On the Plasma-Rs, one forward and one aft makes sense, they can attack offensively, say to defend a colony from a monster, or can fire one defensively then cloak and run away.

Over on the ADB BBS, this topic has been moved to its own thread, aside from that already found for the pre-existing Reflection Universe project; in light of that, I might request that this topic be re-named, so as not to confuse this concept with the RU as ADB consider it.

Background stuff for your Scouts. Snipe is to small and cramped really for Survey missions the Pioneer Eagle based of the War Eagle was the early Survey Ship. The Sparrow Hawks are a modular design so you armament on those would be almost identical to the standard Sparrow Hawk (1-S, 2-F, and Phasers) The actual Scout/Survey variant is the Sph-C "Owl" I think its called. It had 4 Special Sensors and some extra labs and hull space for storage.

Sidenote: in the SFU you would never see a type R torpedo on a light cruiser. The War Eagle is a odd duck because it was built around a R launcher. And is the only exception known. Technically the Romulans called it a heavy cruiser but that is stretching things a bit.

Background stuff for your Scouts. Snipe is to small and cramped really for Survey missions the Pioneer Eagle based of the War Eagle was the early Survey Ship.

Does this capability depend on the tech level and crew size at all do you think? My idea is that the Romulans are just well better - having steadily advanced over the centuries and with their 2nd generation "Hawks" nearer to the X Ships I have heard mention of - does that make any sense?

I wanted to use some of the SFU ships but with a twist (alt universe :wink: ) so the alt Snipe is faster than normal ships (better higher tech engines), only a couple of crew (what is the crew compliment of the normal ship?) and light defences...... If you take out all the gubbins related to generating and firing Plamsa torps does that leave a lot of room?

The Sparrow Hawks are a modular design so you armament on those would be almost identical to the standard Sparrow Hawk (1-S, 2-F, and Phasers) The actual Scout/Survey variant is the Sph-C "Owl" I think its called. It had 4 Special Sensors and some extra labs and hull space for storage. Sidenote: in the SFU you would never see a type R torpedo on a light cruiser. The War Eagle is a odd duck because it was built around a R launcher. And is the only exception known. Technically the Romulans called it a heavy cruiser but that is stretching things a bit

Again my thought was that the Alt Universe ship may resemble the Primary Universe ship in appaearance but is intended to be different beast - hence the upgraded stats and capabilities - the Plasma R's may be a step too far - I take that point - buu its worth a discussion regarding what tech advances make possible on a hull?

Also the Light Cruiser aspect - given that is higher tech, and apparently as big (it at least has more damage than a Klingon of Federation Heavy Cruiser) would that not mean it can carry the Plasma R's

I am not sure what the advances "X Ships" have over normal SFU ships and how that would be modeled in ACTA - except for obvious things like possibly Scout and likely Enhanced Bridge traits?

X-ships, as far as i know, haven't made it to FC yet. From my feightly remembered SFB days, an X-Frigate could give a Cruiser a very bad day, all X-ships had more power availible (no power drain effect :?: ) and where generally a real pain.

Ok - but is it just they cna generate more pwoer - so better engines? or do they have other superior abilities in SFB?

By their name I am assuming advances across the board or was it only in certain areaas of technology? Again the idea is not to make up Romulan X-Warships as such but to have the Romulans with Explorer ships that due to technology are equal to dedicated warships of the younger races?

X-ships were improved technology vessels, nasty in a fight, big power reserves. These gave them the abilty to fix themselves/shields and use 'overloads' as they wished. As i said eariler, not really that up on them, but remember a game of SFB when a Klingon X-F5 type ship gave my Gorn Battlecruiser something to think about.

It would be something along the lines of an IS BattleMech from around 3030 fighting a Clan Mech of equal tonnage (as BT equivalents have been used in this site before)

X-ships are upgraded across the board, not just in terms of power generation. As Finlos said, they don't need to Reload and can fire photons or hellbores every turn. They could probably Overload with a full 12" move. They have different types of plasma torpedoes that I'm not too familiar with.

Disruptor X-ships have more of them - a Klingon D7X would have 6AD.

Drones IIRC don't change, but X-drone ships can launch and control more of them at the same time.

Stronger shields and phasers capable of being overloaded or firing in rapid-pulse point defence mode are the easier things to port to ACtA. All X-ship phasers are ph-1s with those abilities, and they tend to have about 50% more of them than their older siblings.

They have improved command facilities, giving better initiative. That could be reflected by a +2 Command bonus, and the 'Enhanced Bridge' or whatever it's called that the Fed NCL and NCA get.

They have greater Electronic Warfare capability and can out jam and/or burn through non - X-ships EW. Their much greater reserve battery power helps with this, too. Perhaps in ACtA they could choose each turn to either gain 6+ Stealth, or reduce enemy Stealth by one level.

All that reserve power gives them a big advantage in tractor auctions, too.

The faster acceleration and Positron Flywheel (seriously. Don't ask) they can probably survive without in ACtA. Their higher strategic speeds may have an effect in campaigns.

You could try allowing them to make two SAs per turn, as well, reflecting the improved command
systems and abundant power.

Needless to say, they are *very* expensive.

Ah yeah the thing that made me stand up and take notice of X-ships when I was reading that module. :lol:

"All kinda of fancy sensors? Neat. :|
Better Power generation? Cool. :)
Fastload photons? Awesome. :D

OVERLOADING PHASERS? :shock: "

Back