ACTA - New Victory: Lightning Cannon and Adaptive Armour

Burger

Cosmic Mongoose
When the Lightning Cannon fires, it states (quite emphatically) that the ship can do nothing whatsoever except drift. Does Adaptive Armour go offline?

I guess it boils down to, is AA controlled by a computer which powers down along with the rest of the ship, or is it a passive hull plating?

I would think it still works, since th Victory's hull is psuedo-crystaline-techo-babble-alloy or some such, rather than strictly adaptive.

doesnt overly matter now anyway cos no one in their right mind will fire the lightning canon now, boresighted, shorter range and less firepower than all the other weapons in one round, let alone the round you miss out on

katadder said:
doesnt overly matter now anyway cos no one in their right mind will fire the lightning canon now, boresighted, shorter range and less firepower than all the other weapons in one round, let alone the round you miss out on
Rulesmasters is for clearing up rules queries, not debating their usefulness... :wink:

My take on this is that the Victory's controlling player cannot choose to do anything active. It does not specifically say that the ship loses special traits, merely that it cannot do anything.

Although I would say that the VCD could not fire (doing something) its interceptors, the Adaptive Armour is a passive trait that simply modifies damage automatically.

That's what I would rule in any tourney I was running. Matthew? Any ideas?

-Bry

Mongoose Steele said:
It does not specifically say that the ship loses special traits, merely that it cannot do anything.

Although I would say that the VCD could not fire (doing something) its interceptors, the Adaptive Armour is a passive trait that simply modifies damage automatically.
But surely loss of Interceptors IS a loss of a Trait? It's not as though Interceptors are voluntary.

This does need more clarification.

Wulf

well if you go by the SFOS versio nit specifically says no interceptors there so that may give you an idea as to wether they can or not. as for AA, its just the armour, nothing to do with anybody, it absorbs the hits etc

Lets have an official ruling please. Like I said in my OP, is AA controlled by a computer which powers down along with the rest of the ship, or is it a passive hull plating which doesn't go offline?

Yes in the absence of a Matt ruling, I'd take Bry's as official. But in this case, Bry has called for a Matt ruling.

Back