Zuagirs and Kozaks

Zuagirs are a tribe of desert Shemites known for clashing with the Turanians, whereas Kozaks are tribesmen from 'I forget which' mountain range. Sorry, at work ATM.

Zuagirs are a Shemite nomad tribe hell-bent on raiding caravans and Turanian cities, outposts and forts.

Kozaks are a hodgepodge of escaped Hyrkanian and Turanian slaves, outlaws and criminals turned nomad, also hell-bent on raiding caravans and Turanian cities, outposts and forts.

Zuagirs operate primarily in the desert, and Kozaks operate primarily on the steppe.

urdinaran said:
whereas Kozaks are tribesmen from 'I forget which' mountain range. Sorry, at work ATM.

You might be thinking of the Kezankians, who are tribesmen of the Kezankian mountains. Kozaks are steppe raiders. A good definition of the kozaks can be found in The Devil in Iron.

Robert E. Howard said:
On the broad steppes between the Sea of Vilayet and the borders of the easternmost Hyborian kingdoms, a new race had sprung up in the past half-century, formed originally of fleeing criminals, escaped slaves, and deserting soldiers. They were men of many crimes and countries, some born on the steppes, some fleeing from the kingdoms in the west. They were called Kozak, which means wastrel.

Dwelling on the wild, open steppes, owning no law but their own peculiar code, they had become a people capable even of defying the Grand Monarch. Ceaselessly they raided the Turanian frontier, retiring in the steppes when defeated.

Thanks for the information. That helped alot. I think that the other tribe you are thinking of is the Khozgari, hillmen that dwell in the Khozgari hills. Anotehr warlike tribe that raids Turan.

Back