X-Com RPG

hassanisabbah said:
What are those two UFO games like. They look very X-COM

Extra-Terrestrials isnt released yet so no idea but it looks okay from the screen shots on the website,

The latests from Cenega/Altar is UFO:Aftershock and it is a very good game, very reminiscent of the X-Com games.. you have the geosphere, base building, tactical missions and experience for troops..heaps of research options etc.. however it does seem to have a lot of hardware conflict issues atm so a lot of people are getting CTD's and the like. Definitely worth buying but i'd wait until it has been patched personally (end of this month). Check out the demo in the meantime.

Cheers Neo

Ah sheffield, my old uni city, and probably one of the greatest places ever built for entertainment to person ratio.

Though if there was a terror site attack on the Roxy, I wouldn't fancy the aliens chances of getting out unmolested!

Has anyone else played the GameBoy Advance game, Rebelstar: Tactical Command? It's a great little game from the guys who designed all the XCom games, and much more, and it plays quite a bit like the first two XCom games.

Anyway, it's the first GBA game that has me really hooked. Imagine combining UFO: Enemy Unknown with Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

Arabin

A possible setting could be in the future timeline. I mean you could have quite a few factions really.....perhaps some of the alien servitor species break free and become a new faction trying to gain power. There were sectoid/human hybrids in apocalypse so another faction. humans themselves, the aliens and some new race could be introduced.

Also it might interest some people that there was going to be a game called x-com alliance which had humans from earth have an alien race called recticulans as allies and in the new ufo games namely aftershock the alien race are called recticulans.

http://www.abandonia.com/genre.php?search=x-com

x-com terror from the deep and apocalypse is available free from this site :D

and other old games

i haven't seen it for free - UFO defense. I picked up a dos copy 2-3 years ago at best buy in the discount rack for $2.50. PC gamer put out a windows version several years ago on a cd that came with the magazine. Doesn't work on XP though. Though runs fine on my Mom's windows 98 PC. :D

I downloaded the DosBox program in order to run TFTD on my comp and it's working fine...You might try that for UFO Defence...

UFO is actually available on the same site. It had two names though. On one side of the Atlantic, it was called UFO Defense, and the other called it UFO: Enemy Unknown. They are the same game though.

Here is the link:
http://www.abandonia.com/games/en/38/UFOEnemyUnknown.htm

Also, if I don't get this for Christmas, I'm planning on picking up the recently released UFO: Aftershock, a very simular game. The game is developed by different people, and they did release the problematic UFO:Aftermath a couple of years back, but from what I've heard, UFO Aftershock fixes all the complaints and added plenty of good stuff. Here is a link for more info:

http://www.ufo-aftershock.com/pages/hq.html

Arabin

I know I would gladly buy this series. Loved the orignal game UFO enemy unknown, and the sequel X-COM Terror from the Deep. Also Actually loved Aftermath but was disappointed with aftershock.

BUt i digress, Mongoose PLEASE PLEASE try and get this and produce it. I know you will do a great job on it.

I've been playing Aftershock and whilst its not a patch on X-Com/Terror/Apocolypse (it has much more in common with the later) its pretty much the next best thing.

Though I am not very far in, and a huge UFO is headed my way....

For the other x-com fans out there look at: http://ufo.myexp.de/?id=about
It is quite amazing what they did with the quake2 engine. Moreover it is freeware!

I do not need an x-com rpg but more a x-com like rpg. Frankly, even if the story of x-com is good I do not think there is enough to make an rpg about it. Also it means aquiring the right for a licence. I agree that X-Com name is quite magic and have a some potential. However, I will more appreciate a rpg based of x-com style than one based on x-com only. Something more in the line of generic setting from Mongoose OGL line: tactical squad actions, struggle and research to fight overhelming aliens forces. I think that such a book could be used to make a bridge between rpg games and miniatures games. For instance between SST rpg and SST minis or Babylon 5 rpg and skirmish gropos set during dilgar or minbari war.

There IS an XCom table top game out there. I have no idea of a link or anything but Ive seen it played ages ago. Looked pretty fun too :)

Edit: Found it :D (think its the same one anyway) http://babylon.alphacomplex.org/~xcom/

Well I liked from X-Com games and they had little RPG element in it so why not full blooded X-Com RPG? I see no reason why it could not work.

On a vagueley related note, Ive since picked up UFO Aftershock and can confirm that it is both an excellent game and a HUGE improvement on Aftermath. Its still not as good as UFO Enemy Unknown or Terror From the Deep but thats like saying a McLaren F1 isnt as fast as the Space Shuttle. Some things are just in a legue of their own :p

Locutus9956 said:
On a vagueley related note, Ive since picked up UFO Aftershock and can confirm that it is both an excellent game and a HUGE improvement on Aftermath. Its still not as good as UFO Enemy Unknown or Terror From the Deep but thats like saying a McLaren F1 isnt as fast as the Space Shuttle. Some things are just in a legue of their own :p

Afterlight the next one to come out sounds like it will be interesting if streamlined feasturewise, though Altar keep removing RPG elements, which is beginning to annoy..they dont seemt o listen to the very people that made the Xcom games a success that much (i.e the people who BOUGHT them). I guess they need to eventually fall flat on thier faces before they start paying attention again.

Still a nice non CRPG X-Com RPG would be good, genre is ripe for adventure.

Back