Why isn't there a knight core class in Conan?

First, has as been said, PrC's are supposed to be special

Exactly. There is nothing that makes 'knight' more special than 'mercenary crossbowman' or 'captain of a ship' (soldier and pirate respectively).

The qualifications to be considered are rendered in terms of the game mechanic

The knight concept does not require the types of requirements that a PrC does, however. I'll point out that in most settings the majority of people are not PC-Classed. Most of Hyboria's Knights should be 1st-3rd level Warriors, or possibly 1st-3rd level PC-classed characters.

What a generic "Knight" PrC class says is that every knight in Hyboria is at least 6th level. That's silly.

I would ask "why a Knight?" as in what do you hope for your character to gain from the class?

A set of abilities consistent with your character concept. You know, the exact same thing that prompts the Barbarian class, or the Scholar class.

As far as Knight being a base class, bad idea. It is MUCH harder for a GM to prevent players from taking a level in a base class (especially a creation) than it is to say NO to them taking a PrC.

That doesn't make a bit of sense to me. Why would you -need- to stop your players from taking a class? Why do you think you'd be MORE inclined to stop a player from playing a knight than you would be to stop them from playing a thief or a borderer?

Seems more like an issue of "I don't want knights in my game" than "knights would make a bad class" or "knights don't fit the needs of the setting."

Edit: Castel: Regardless of how many times you state your opinions, they aren't going to magicaly become correct. Knights did not relieve themselves in their armour just because they didn't feel like unlacing their fauld. Medieval people bathed with some regularity. Period. If you're really interest in the subject, I suggest reading about it rather than continually espousing the same opinion over and over.

I don´t know why this thread is still going on and on... we have seen that multiclass does it fine, starting as Noble or soldier is more of a choice of what kind of knight you whant to be...
Probably a "knight class" in S&P would be good for the ones who really want a class for the Knight...

To me it is simple, a knight is an elite soldier having noble blood, you want it more specific... do some variant rules yourself, or use the existing ones.

If anyone as any really good sugestion about the knight, post them...

To damien:
(Look damien, i´m trying to get you to understand why i have this opinion, not why I am right or wrong...

Did Knights do "it" in armour on a regular basis? NO.
Did it happen that they could not do it on an other place, cuz the time or situation was inopurtune? YES... just like F1 racers, they´re not going to stop the race so you can go to the bathroom...

Actually i can be wrong, it´s a human thing... but from what i read, (and books also can be wrong), the tradition of regular bathing was lost in europe after the barbaric invasions of the "roman empire", a more barbaric bathing tradition was implemented, only bathing once or twice per month...

So i can be wrong, but don´t you compare the dark ages higiene with the one today.
One good example... do you know why the spices were so important in mediavel and post-mediavel times? They covered up the flavor of rottness from the food...

I think this particular subject can be defined as "ended" or you can start a new thread just for talking about the knights and their "problems" in armour)

I don´t know why this thread is still going on and on... we have seen that multiclass does it fine, starting as Noble or soldier is more of a choice of what kind of knight you whant to be...

I like the idea of a variant multiclass option. I've said that quite a few times. The discussion past that point waas largely about whether or not the knight, as a concept, deserves a base class. I think that, lacking a variant multiclass, it does, some say it doesn't.

Look damien, i´m trying to get you to understand why i have this opinion, not why I am right or wrong...

The problem is entitlement: Everyone thinks they're "entitled to their opinion" even if their opinion is factually incorrect. I don't believe in that. If you are incorrect, you should revise your opinion. I don't have the opinion that the ground is made of spun sugar, because that would be factually incorrect. Wouldn't you think it was a bit silly if you pointed out that the ground is clearly rock and soil, yet I kept saying that "it is just my opinion that the ground is spun sugar?"

You are incorrect. You can state your opinions until you're blue in the face - but they will still be utterly wrong. It's not even a matter of different opinions; it's a matter of fact and fiction. I'm just suggesting that you do some actual research on the topic if the topic interests you, and in doing you will become educated as to -why- and -how- you are wrong.

Did it happen that they could not do it on an other place, cuz the time or situation was inopurtune? YES... just like F1 racers, they´re not going to stop the race so you can go to the bathroom...

I don't know about F1 racers crapping themselves during a race. I do know that there is NO documentation of knights crapping themselves. Unless you can provide PROOF of your statements, then you're just being pig-headed over something really stupid, refusing to accept that you are wrong.

Actually i can be wrong, it´s a human thing... but from what i read, (and books also can be wrong), the tradition of regular bathing was lost in europe after the barbaric invasions of the "roman empire", a more barbaric bathing tradition was implemented, only bathing once or twice per month...

And as I have consistently pointed out: These types of beliefs about medieval and pre-medieval hygiene are out-dated and have been proven to be ill-founded. You are wrong, and as I suggested - you should look into more current material on the subject.

So i can be wrong, but don´t you compare the dark ages higiene with the one today.

There is no such time period as 'The Dark Ages.' The term is a misnomer and should never be used.

One good example... do you know why the spices were so important in mediavel and post-mediavel times? They covered up the flavor of rottness from the food...

Myth.

The fact is that most medieval people would have almost no access to spices anyway. Spices add flavour to food. That hasn't changed in 1000 years.

Did spices help to cover up the taste of food that has gone bad? Sure. That's even done in restaurants today. Was it the norm? Nope, and there's no evidence that it was.

The fact seems to be that both yourself and Dunderm have read one or two out-dated post-Victorian books on medieval life and are basing your opinions on those. I'm merely suggesting you both look into more recent dissertations so you will know, for a fact, that your "opinions" are wrong. And it seems like you're both getting offended at the mere suggestion that your information is terribly out-dated. I make the suggestion that you read more recent publications not to be snide, but because it will help you to learn.

This will be my last post to this thread. Here is a link for Damien to read. It's about the job of the "Arming Squire" which is lower class of squire.

http://www.discoverychannel.co.uk/history/worst_jobs/middle_ages/index.shtml

Scroll down a bit for the story. You can email those ignorant fellows at Discovery Channel if you want, I'm sure they would be interested in your opinion.

I, for one, have already taken stock of your opinions about our opinions, and I realize you do not know the meaning of the word opinion.

Scroll down a bit for the story. You can email those ignorant fellows at Discovery Channel if you want, I'm sure they would be interested in your opinion.

Oh gee, the Discovery Channel. Do you have a History Channel link while you're at it.

Here's an idea: read books. Do not watch TV and expect to learn anything. The Discovery Channel and the History Channel, despite their names, are widely regarded in the historical communities as fonts of misinformation. Take the entire "Conquest" series, for example, which is just a regurgitation of every myth that's been disproven since 1960.

So do you have any quotes or sources that aren't 80 years old or televised? Something from an actual historian?

I didn't think so.

Raven Blackwell said:
Considerig most GMs don't even require characters to use the bathroom it seems like one of those small details that aren't going to come up in game.

Oh. I see. I guess I am the only one that make my players roll for this.

Well anyway the DC is usually pretty low and most of the players take 10 anyway. :p

Unless you start quoting reputable sources, I fail to see what right you think you hold in shooting down his opinions. I mean, unless all you happened to be accomplished at is trolling other people's posts of course.

I figured I would get the snide remark in at the front end, since I usually forget by the end of the post. That said, I'm sure all parties could find information to back up their statements, I've no doubt your information might be newer but I've heard some great revisionist history in my time and unless the entire academic world for some reason started to agree on everything for some reason or another the argument is never going to ascend higher than two people yelling yes/no back and forth - which is kind of cool if you like arguing for the sake of arguing, I know I do, but it is otherwise kind of pointless.

As far as I can tell, your originally statement was similar to that the knight was both unique and entrenched enough in hyborean fantasy to merit a unique class, well at least entrenched as much as range..borderers and pirates (*Mutter*). You also touched on that they were superior fighting men, although I'm not entirely sure if you meant classical medieval knights in history or if you meant as a guideline for the class. There's a few reasons I disagree with you;

1: Hyboria is not medieval europe. I don't pretend to be a scholar, but as far as I'm concerned the classical knight had a great deal more free time to train for war than the peasants that worked for him - this time, and his relatively great wealth allowed him to ride into battle in heavier armour and have with a better skill at arms purely because serfs had 'jobs' that required their daily attention. In hyboria, this simply doesn't translate; Sure, you have peasants being conscripted, but at the same time you have large professional armies made up of professional soldiers who spend every bit as much time fighting (possibly more, in the case of mercenaries who travel to the different realms to wage war) and have no reason to be not every bit as good warriors as knights.

2: The current system makes it redundant. Soldier + mounted/weapon feats easily make a fair depiction of a Knight, in the exact same fashion that Soldier + bow feats make a respectable trained bowman. Thats of course assuming you use the noble blood feat (Personally, I'm not planning on using that book anytime soon) I still maintain that a true classical knight is poorly represented by a level 1 anything except in a true low level campaign - In which case noble cuts it fine, they have all the right starter feats and the slight bab differance is entirely insignificant compared to the massive starting funds of the noble, which allow him to start with the equivalent of heavy armour.

Ideally, a knight would at least be level 2, noble1/soldier1, as is recommended within the Aquilonian Military section in the Atlantean ed. Their superiority on the battlefield stemming from better armour and more experience in direct fighting - which is clearly seen when you compare the levels of the knights to the men at arms (level 1). Now, a level 2 "knight" in fullplate, large shield, lance with an arming sword vs a level 1 soldier in quilted armour, steel cap, and wielding a pike, who wins? As far as I'm concerned the book itself clearly show how knights manage to be a holy terror on the battlefield with a reasonable explanation (more experienced) without the benefit of some odd class that in the end doesn't depict them any better that the tools that were originally used.

Now, all of the above applies to npc's largely - pc and npc noble/solders hack down soldiers because of better gear and more experience, between players character "knight" characters and soldiers there's not one respectable reason that the knight should be the soldiers equal in combat regardless of using some unique class or sticking with a noble/soldier build, assuming both are of the same level. The knight spends a portion of his youth not learning to fight, instead learning other things important to his station (first as a page, then to a lesser degree as a squire) while the soldier class by it's nature is -solely- specialized in fighting skills; Unless the knight has more hours in his day or is automatically assumed to have some gifted background superior to every other class, that directly translates out to "the soldier character spends more time learning to fight".

Is a knight class a cool idea? Whatever does it for you. Is it necessary or does it fill some gap in the current ruleset? Hardly.

P.S.
I now plan to make potty rolls mid combat. DC12 Save vs Bowel Movement, any suggestions for some sort of critical failure? ;p

Unless you start quoting reputable sources, I fail to see what right you think you hold in shooting down his opinions. I mean, unless all you happened to be accomplished at is trolling other people's posts of course.

I've often felt that one shouldn't -have- to scrounge through a library of books to find exact quotes to refute a ridiculous claim. I think it's enough to suggest that the two people clearly in the wrong simply do more research. If they bother to read some books on the subject that aren't dated 1895 and still hold the opinions that they do - then a more scholarly debate is necessary.

And, in my opinion, it's the person -making- the silly assertion that needs to provide evidence that they are correct. Neither poster has done that except for a link to the Discovery Channel. :roll:

and unless the entire academic world for some reason started to agree on everything for some reason or another the argument is never going to ascend higher than two people yelling yes/no back and forth

Well that's the thing. . . the stuff Castel and Dunderm are saying are things that virtually every historian now disagrees with, but may have been believed by -some- historians 40 years ago.

both unique and entrenched enough in hyborean fantasy to merit a unique class, well at least entrenched as much as range..borderers and pirates

We see a few examples of knights in Howard's stories. The issue, of course, is that we don't get much detail on them. We have to extrapolate; we can assume, due to what Howard did write, that the 'knights' in his setting are similar to real-world knights, for lack of any differing statements on Howard's part. The same way we infer that horses in Hyboria are no different from horses in the real world - no contrary statement is made, so it's a safe assumption to make.

You also touched on that they were superior fighting men, although I'm not entirely sure if you meant classical medieval knights in history or if you meant as a guideline for the class.

Both, but more of the former than the latter. The statement was meant to demonstrate that they have different 'baggage' as a theme than a typical soldier.

In hyboria, this simply doesn't translate; Sure, you have peasants being conscripted, but at the same time you have large professional armies made up of professional soldiers who spend every bit as much time fighting (possibly more, in the case of mercenaries who travel to the different realms to wage war) and have no reason to be not every bit as good warriors as knights.

You say Hyboria isn't medieval Europe, and I'm assuming this is supposed to be the difference; but it's really not. Medieval Europe had a large amount of mercenaries, especially in Italy where the mercenary company was a mainstay. Despite the existance, in real life, of professional fighting men, the knight remained a dominant warrior - at least as capable, thew for thew, with other professional soldiers.

I'm not saying that a knight should be -better- than the Soldier. The issue is that a Noble/Soldier multiclass will actually be less of a warrior than a Soldier of the same level. Of course, this could be compensated with a variant multiclass rule - something I'm wholly in favour of.

The current system makes it redundant. Soldier + mounted/weapon feats easily make a fair depiction of a Knight

And, in theory, Soldier + Survival skill makes for a fair depiction of a ranger. But we still get the Borderer class. A Scholar who uses all of his feats on martial and social abilities, and uses all of his skill points on things like Diplomacy, is a fine depiction of a nobleman - but we still have the Noble class.

The fact that you can make a knightly-type character with the existing classes doesn't devalue the possibility of creating its own class. I can make a pirate with the Soldier and Thief, and even with the Borderer and Thief, but we still have a Pirate. Know what I mean?

without the benefit of some odd class that in the end doesn't depict them any better that the tools that were originally used.

See - you've already made up your mind. You feel that no matter WHAT, any class someone makes would not fulfill the concept any better than what we have now. What's the point of even discussing it if you're totally against the idea to begin with?

I think that a knightly class (as I demonstrated with my breakdown of the Poitainian Knight PrC a couple pages back which no one bothered to look at - instead wanting to discuss the idiocy of knights crapping themselves during combat) can -better- fill the role of a knight than the Core solution of noble + soldier. (NOTE: I do not, however, feel that a class is MORE necessary than a variant multiclass option.)

The knight spends a portion of his youth not learning to fight, instead learning other things important to his station (first as a page, then to a lesser degree as a squire) while the soldier class by it's nature is -solely- specialized in fighting skills

The knight actually spends most of his time learning to fight. Other studies were not nearly as important. Down-time is spent learning to read, theology, philosophy, etc. The knight also began his martial training as a very small boy - perhaps 7 or 8 years old.

The soldier, on the other hand, represents a large variety of warriors. At best it represents someone from the middle-classes that has decided to take up the career of soldiering full time. Okay... he has to do whatever his parents do until he's old enough to fight. This is usually 16-20, depending on the city-state/city/society/etc. So, best case scenario for the Soldier, the knight has already been training for 8 years by the time the soldier starts his training in earnest.

After that point, the training of each warrior would be pretty much the same. The only difference is that the soldier would have less of it before he was actually expected to fight in real war. He'd also recieve less professional training, as his seasoned compatriots would spend most 'downtime' drunk or attending to their own equipment and the division of booty.

Even in the best case scenario - the soldier has far less going for him, militarily, than the knight.

Now, I don't suggest that this plays out as BAB. Making the knight wholly better than the Soldier would be unbalanced. I'm saying that this quality should be shown where it would be most likely to actually show up:

The knight would find it easier to wear armour, would know how to strike better (Improvied Critical or a bonus to combat maneuvers or something), and would know best how to charge a horse. This is all broken down in the post I made about the Poitainian Knight PrC. All those abilities would make fine knightly class abilities. The end result: The knight and soldier would be on par power-wise, but even a soldier focused on mounted combat would still be an entirely different beast from the knight.

Of course, in the end, I still prefer a variant multiclass idea to a new class. But I'm sure I've said that enough times in this thread that everyone knows that, right?

1: Hyboria is not medieval europe. I don't pretend to be a scholar, but as far as I'm concerned the classical knight had a great deal more free time to train for war than the peasants that worked for him - this time, and his relatively great wealth allowed him to ride into battle in heavier armour and have with a better skill at arms purely because serfs had 'jobs' that required their daily attention.
Actually, it could just mean that the knight's greater time to focus on martial skill would result in him having a higher soldier level than the average peasant (who would be commoner x/ soldier 1 or 2)?

In hyboria, this simply doesn't translate; Sure, you have peasants being conscripted, but at the same time you have large professional armies made up of professional soldiers who spend every bit as much time fighting (possibly more, in the case of mercenaries who travel to the different realms to wage war) and have no reason to be not every bit as good warriors as knights
Excellent point. Aside from having superior equipment, a knight shouldn't be a better fighter than a commoner with equal experience and abilities (ie similar stats and levels in soldier). Being born into knighthood didn't make a man a better fighter in history, and certainly not in Howard's works.

Damien:

We can agree to disagree on how stated information should be treated then; balmy weather, medieval (especially french) diet, and a layer of musty padding under 45 lbs of armour might all impede a man's ability to go to the bathroom - probably not, it will probably just give him heat stroke, but it might. It seems a reasonable opinion, and in my mind "read a book!" isn't anything except voicing that you have a different opinion stated in a rather arrogant, and generally impolite, manner.

Another thing to keep in mind, is that the knights of Hyboria are based on Howard's concepts of what a knight was - not the most modern versions (even if you happen to believe because something is newer, it's somehow more accurate) which lends weight to the argument that knights should reflect texts written earlier every bit as much as your updated histories.

As to the knight itself, I indeed did look over the pointaine knight prc and I look at it the same way as I do all prc's. It doesn't add anything to the game that can't be do better with the core book;

Born to the Saddle: Not my cup of tea. Just because you can ride a horse doesn't mean your an expert about the beasts. Fine maybe for a regional knight, but doesn't make complete sense to me as a generic ability associated to all knights.

Horsemanship: Eh. Better horsemen than nomads? I find that hard to swallow. This is one of those traits forced in that hardly applies to all knights - some knights might be good on horseback, but popular culture tells us that -all- nomads were. If anything, this perk belongs to nomads (assuming the base nomad class is intended to reflect eurasian nomads - which seems a fair conclusion considered their two favoured terrain options)

Armour Tolerance: Not one reason a soldier on campaign couldn't grab this as a feat. It's hardly reasonable to assume that knights would be the only class/variant that trained extensively in heavy armour.

Lance charge: Is a lance even the prime weapon of a knight? Honestly, you charge with it, you hit something, and then you have a weighty spear thats ineffectual in melee, or it breaks, in either case your better off with either a sword or a heavy blunt weapon to break the armour of your opponents. Lances are passe', of questionable use after a charge and off the jousting field. And it's limiting; Why can't my knight be better with a sword? A sword is a classical knightly weapon. Again, a class ability better suited to knights of a specific region than all knights.

Improved Heavy Calvary: Eh. Questionable. An experienced footsoldier in a pike regiment has about as much right to a Heavy Infantry mastery at a lower level too, and i wouldn't think that merits a fresh class/variant either.

I also couldn't help but notice your assumption that knights for some reason would begin training at an earlier age compared to other classes. I personally find that to be questionable, since the son of a campaigning mercenary, a marine captains cabin boy, a pioneer's son thats learning of frontier skills like tracking and hunting, not to mention countless other possible backgrounds can assume the same starting age. Not all soldiers done their armour for the first time at 16, fresh out of a corn field; and by trying to support that the knight is the equal at arms as a soldier, your forcing a background on another class just to better suit the knight.

As for mercenary companies of the genuine (late) medieval age, like the Free Companies and the Condotta, I'll grant you that they represent an era where mercenaries were more abundant, but at the same time I would argue that most of them wouldn't be level 1 in game terms - since their ranks were largely made up of experienced men at arms and other soldiers than held weapon skills (welsh bow) or battlefield skills (engineering perhaps) well beyond the range of the novice; Which again, ties into my belief that the knight is best represent by a at the least a level 2 combination of soldier/noble (although noble 2 works well at this point because of regional perks), and suits it rather well. A level 1noble/1soldier in plate, shield, lance and sword vs a level 1 soldier in a leather jerkin and with a pike is little contest (The level 1 soldier assumes that the character recieved enough martial training to qualify as a soldier class as opposed to being a commoner, a commoner, even more squishy) the same knight charging the equivalent of veteran pikeman in slightly better armour, and more experience than the novice pikeman above, is going to face a challenge - the pikeman has actual experience, the knight (assuming noble1/soldier1) maybe has a slightly lesser aptitude in combat (because he's a generic knight, not a veteran one. With 1 level of noble to represent the bulk of his youth and 1 level soldier to represent his emphasis on martial training after playing page) but he also has vastly better gear because of his wealth. Really, I think it all ties an inability to represent knights well at level 1 with any class - theres simply too much to being a knight.

Really, as far as I can tell we disagree based around some of your assumptions about the soldier class; You assume they're less dedicated than knights in learning their trade, you assume they start training at an older age, and largely you assume that character player soldiers are solely limited to the role of grimy footsoldiers. Really, from where I'm standing you assume too much based on the class name "soldier" and significantly less based on the abilities of the actual class itself.

As you can pretty much guess, I saw no real need, or even purpose for the prc/variant/core class of knight. And, yes, I did notice you stated that you thought a variant class was a fair substitution (previously you also stated it was deserving of a core class, then you changed your stance) and, yeah, most of the arguments for the last half of the topic have been just been parties expressing their opinions, and of course I already have my opinion on the matter, just like you do, and I very much doubt either of us will be swayed by the eithers arguments; As far as I'm concerned we're debating for the sake of debating at this point, we both know how we're going to treat knights really. Basically, anyone still posting here is posting for the argument ;p but you know, I like arguing, and it's not like I get worked up over the interweb, so I consider it a fair diversion from the rest of the day's activities - I assume you treat it the same.

Ps: What hair colour do you have? I need to know for the voodoo doll ;p

Taylor:

Thats pretty much how I see it, a knight is generally higher level because he fights more regularly than men-at-arms or peasants. A man-at-arms in formation might actually cross blades in melee with enemies far less often than a knight charging head on, in a smaller formation. A peasant, assuming they fight in rows, might not fight at all in a battle - and to me it seems natural that the amount of fighting one does translates into the experience they earn if they are a martially themed class.

To be honest, in my homebrew I use base level 2 for everything. A peasant levy might be a commoner2 (peasant levy really don't qualify as soldiers to me personally, too many feats they simply shouldn't learn in short order), a novice Knight would generally be either a noble2 or Noble1/Soldier1, a man-at-arms would range between commoner1/soldier1 to soldier2 depending on experience and skill. But thats a purely homebrew ruling with no support within the rules really.

We can agree to disagree on how stated information should be treated then; balmy weather, medieval (especially french) diet, and a layer of musty padding under 45 lbs of armour might all impede a man's ability to go to the bathroom

Not really, since the only thing covering his little tushy would be a pair of breeches and maybe a fauld.

http://www.beautifuliron.com/images/DiagramArmour4.jpg

Like so.

. It seems a reasonable opinion, and in my mind "read a book!" isn't anything except voicing that you have a different opinion stated in a rather arrogant, and generally impolite, manner.

I didn't say "read a book" I said "study." There's a difference. And as I've said many times over - any tone you put to words on a website are generally put there by you. We should be careful not to assign tone to someone else's words unless we can be reasonably sure we're correct.

Another thing to keep in mind, is that the knights of Hyboria are based on Howard's concepts of what a knight was - not the most modern versions (even if you happen to believe because something is newer, it's somehow more accurate) which lends weight to the argument that knights should reflect texts written earlier every bit as much as your updated histories.

I would agree with you where the contradiction is in something Howard actually wrote. His words are the most important factor. He has nothing to say on the subject, however, so we cannot know which belief he ascribed to during his life. So we use the most recent information to fill in the gaps.

And I never said newer information is always better. I said that the newer information reflects discoveries made and more period information found. That means that the new information in this case is the better information.

Born to the Saddle: Not my cup of tea. Just because you can ride a horse doesn't mean your an expert about the beasts. Fine maybe for a regional knight, but doesn't make complete sense to me as a generic ability associated to all knights.

Couldn't that just as easily be said about any class? Aren't class abilities approximations of what the -majority- of people in a certain vocation would be like?

Most knights would have a very keen understanding of husbandry because they spend a large portion of their personal funds on maintaining proper horses. Horses were one of the most expensive things a knight was -required- to own. You didn't simply buy based on a guess. You learned how to tell what the best horses were.

Would -ALL- knights bother to learn this? Probably not. Do all thieves jam daggers in people's spines? Are all sea-dogs highly mobile expert navigators? Are all nomads (an entire sect of human beings) expert horsemen? Do all nobles have a keen ability to command respect and loyalty?

Approximations. I don't think anyone is silly enough to assume that a class represents 100% of the population of people in that vocation. Not even every character in Howard's stories fits perfectly within the given classes.

We have to approximate the majority. And the majority of knights would be well-versed in judging the quality of a horse. At least as well as most nomads could. In the end, both nomads and knights spend a large portion of their lives around horses, and learn about them as a means of survival.

Nomads, I'll point out again, actually get a better version of the Born to the Saddle ability.

Horsemanship: Eh. Better horsemen than nomads? I find that hard to swallow. This is one of those traits forced in that hardly applies to all knights - some knights might be good on horseback, but popular culture tells us that -all- nomads were. If anything, this perk belongs to nomads (assuming the base nomad class is intended to reflect eurasian nomads - which seems a fair conclusion considered their two favoured terrain options)

The Nomads don't really seem to be designed specifically around being mounted. They only have a few abilities tied directly to mounts. That says to me that the Core assumption isn't that nomads are the best horsemen around, by default.

Although with the right feats, and a bow, you could still make the Nomad into a Mongol-esque horse-archer capable of taking on a Knight, regardless of his 'Horsemanship' ability.

Armour Tolerance: Not one reason a soldier on campaign couldn't grab this as a feat. It's hardly reasonable to assume that knights would be the only class/variant that trained extensively in heavy armour.

But it's not a feat. It's an ability that gets better as you go. And there is a reason why it should be unique to knights: A knight starts wearing armour as a child. He conditions himself from an extremely young age to get used to it. It absolutely makes sense that he'd find it much easier to wear than anyone else.

Is a lance even the prime weapon of a knight? Honestly, you charge with it, you hit something, and then you have a weighty spear thats ineffectual in melee, or it breaks

Yes it is. And actually, the 'Frankish Charge' (what you're referring to) was not simply done once. Knights would charge, retreat back to the lines to get fresh lances (if they needed new ones) and charge again. So this ability does make perfect sense.

And it's limiting; Why can't my knight be better with a sword?

He can - be devoting more feats to his sword than to his lance. But part of the knight's training is in the lance. That's even true of non-European knights in real history - the Mongols, the Persians, the Saracens, the Mamluks - all used lances to some degree. The Western European knights, those that Howard's are presumably based on, specifically trained to be part of a cohesive group of lancers. That was their primary function.

A sword is a classical knightly weapon.

Yes it is. And it was the most popular knightly side-arm. But it was never the principal weapon.

Again, a class ability better suited to knights of a specific region than all knights.

Not considering all knights share the training that required the use of the lance.

Improved Heavy Calvary: Eh. Questionable. An experienced footsoldier in a pike regiment has about as much right to a Heavy Infantry mastery at a lower level too, and i wouldn't think that merits a fresh class/variant either.

So give it to him.
Alone it doesn't merit its own class or variant. But when combined with a slew of other things that make the idea unique (or unique -enough- to consider its own niche) it makes a good additional ability.

I also couldn't help but notice your assumption that knights for some reason would begin training at an earlier age compared to other classes.

Because they would.

I personally find that to be questionable, since the son of a campaigning mercenary, a marine captains cabin boy, a pioneer's son thats learning of frontier skills like tracking and hunting, not to mention countless other possible backgrounds can assume the same starting age.

The marine captain's cabin boy is not a soldier, nor is a pioneer's son.

We're talking about the relation between knight and soldier. A -soldier's- training, that which makes him a soldier, would not start until he was virtually an adult. Not so the knight. Different training methods create entirely different people with different intrinsic abilities.

If the soldier boy started training really young (an extreme rarity), conditioned himself to wear heavy armour from a young age, and was taught to act as part of a cavalry formation - we'd be talking about a character that isn't a straight Soldier, but rather a variant Knight without the nobility baggage.

Not all soldiers done their armour for the first time at 16, fresh out of a corn field; and by trying to support that the knight is the equal at arms as a soldier, your forcing a background on another class just to better suit the knight.

Most soldiers DO don their armour for the first time at around 16. Most societies before that wouldn't even allow soldiers younger than that. In real life, that is. Of course, can you come up with a quote from Howard about trained soldiers under 16?

Can you name any soldiers from the real world who started training before 16? Besides the Mamluks - as they are basically knights.

It's not forcing a background, it's reinforcing it. Soldiers are not raised to be soldiers, they become soldiers. Knights are raised to be knights in the same way that nomads are raised as nomads (in most cases).

Really, I think it all ties an inability to represent knights well at level 1 with any class - theres simply too much to being a knight.

My issue isn't one of comparison. I'm not looking at what a Noble or Soldier can do against another Noble or Soldier. I'm looking at the Knight solely as its own concept. In my opinion it has nothing to do with how it measures up, as a multiclass option, with other classes, but rather how well any class or class combination approximates how I view a knight.

In my opinion a knight has enough about him that makes him unique that he'd be best served by a variant multiclass option. Obviously the likes of Vincent Darlage and Mongoose agree - hence the 'Cavalier' in Hyboria's Finest (which I'm still waiting for).

You assume they're less dedicated than knights in learning their trade

No, I assume their skillset and life experience would be vastly different from that of a knight. History seems to agree.

you assume they start training at an older age

Because, as a general rule, they do.

and largely you assume that character player soldiers are solely limited to the role of grimy footsoldiers.

Never said that. Never implied it. Never even considered it.

Really, from where I'm standing you assume too much based on the class name "soldier" and significantly less based on the abilities of the actual class itself.

From where I'm standing, you're doing most of the assuming.

And, yes, I did notice you stated that you thought a variant class was a fair substitution (previously you also stated it was deserving of a core class, then you changed your stance)

I changed my stance because, prior to this topic's creation, I didn't actually know about the variant multiclass rules. I only owned three books (and still do) - Core, Aquilonia, and Road of Kings - none of which have the variant multiclasses in them.

As far as I'm concerned we're debating for the sake of debating at this point, we both know how we're going to treat knights really. Basically, anyone still posting here is posting for the argument ;

I think that's an accurate assessment.

I assume you treat it the same.

Quite so. At least as long as we argue the subject matter and not each other's personal religious values or mothers' maiden names.

Ps: What hair colour do you have? I need to know for the voodoo doll ;p

Light brown with natural red and light brown/blonde highlights. Since I went into detail about my hair colour, I expect that voodoo doll to look exactly like me.

8)

Line-by-line quoting is the best way to respond to individual points made by the poster. If you don't like it - don't read it.

Line-by-line quoting is amateurish, narcissistic, internet bad-ass masturbatory bull****. there's no need to respond to every third vowel in someone's post.

Line-by-line quoting is amateurish, narcissistic, internet bad-ass masturbatory bull****. there's no need to respond to every third vowel in someone's post.

How else are you going to answer each question in context ? I find it hard to follow 2 large monolithic blocks of text, one from the original poster, one from the response.

Mad Dog

MadDog said:
How else are you going to answer each question in context ?

He-- and most people who abuse line-by-line --aren't even replying to any questions in their quoting. It mostly consists of delivering one-line zingers that the poster thinks sounds clever, or anally responding to even the most insignificant portions of the original text.

I find it hard to follow 2 large monolithic blocks of text, one from the original poster, one from the response.

Hey, line-by-line has it's uses; but at a certain point it just gets ridiculous and does more to self-servingly draw out a conversation than it does making things concise and legible. Someone who actually wants to communicate can usually do so effectively by condensing the gist of thier replies into something short and sweet.

dourdeadlypuritan

iltharanos said:
What would be obnoxious

Oh crap, I sense sarcasm coming.

is correcting another person's grammar.

Ouch.

DourDeadlyPuritan said:
line-by-line quoting and replying is obnoxious.

Hey, that's me. :)

[L]ine-by-line quoting and replying is obnoxious.

Oh I see what you did there.

Hey, I know I'm coming off as a big a-hole, like I'm the self-appointed arbiter of Good Internet Habits, but really-- this guy's whole constant line-by-line s**t going on for 20-odd, broken-up quotes per post is a complete exercise in pretension and egotism. It's all about being in love with what he types; so I'm sure there's room for another swelled head over here (me). Looking forward to every other word in my post getting it's own unique, specially-crafted, clipped reply.

So what exactly is worse:

Responding to a person (who has made no objections) by quoting various portions of their post in order to respond to the points made on their own merit.

Or

Joining a thread for the singular purpose of insulting another poster because you don't like the way they debate with another poster?

I'll let the community decide, because frankly I think the insinuation that there's something wrong with quoting individual points is absurd.

Here’s a basic profile I use for a ‘average’ squire just out of training

Hyborian Male First Level Noble
Hit Dice 1d8+2
Initiative: +0
Movement: 30 feet [25 feet in armor]
Defense Value: Dodge 10; Parry 12 [+4 with Shield]
Damage Reduction: 7 [Brigandine Coat and Steel Cap]
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/+2
Attack: Heavy Lance +2 melee [1d10+2; x3 critical; 5 AP; Double Damage and +2 AP when charging on horseback] or Shortsword +2 melee [1d8+2; 19-20 x2 critical; 5 AP] or Hunting Bow +0 ranged [1d8; x2 critical; 1 AP; 50 feet range increment]
Special Abilities: Weapon Familiarity [Greatsword]
Special Qualities: Adaptability [Knowledge (nobility); Ride]; Faith [Mitran]; Rank; Title; Wealth
Saves: Fort +2; Ref +0; Will +7 (1)
Abilities: Str 15; Dex 10; Con 14; Int 10; Wis 10; Cha 12
Skills: Diplomacy +3; Handle Animal +3; Knowledge [history] +2; Knowledge [local] +2; Knowledge [nobility] +4 (2); Knowledge [religion] +2; Perform [poetry or any musical] +3; Perform [ritual] +3 (3); Ride +6 (2); Spot +2; Survival +2
Feats: Mounted Combat; Ride-By-Attack
Code of Honour: Civilized
Allegiances: Feudal Lord; Mitran religion; King

Equipment: War trained Riding Horse, Bit and Bridle, Riding Saddle; Brigandine Coat, Large Shield; Heavy Lance, Shortsword, Hunting Bow with quiver of 20 arrows, Dagger; Doublet and Hose, Riding Boots, Shirt and Braes, Cloak, Costrel, Belt Pouch, Knight’s Belt

(1) Includes Faith and Civilized Code of Honour. A Squire also gains an additional +3 bonus against Corruption saving throws
(2) Includes Adaptability Bonus
(3) Used for the civic and religious rituals of knighthood, not sorcerous rituals

And after his first campaign-

Hyborian Male First Level Noble/First Level Soldier
Hit Dice 1d10 + 1d8 +4
Initiative: +4 [Improved Initative]
Defense Value: Dodge 10; Parry 12 [+4 with Shield]
Damage Reduction: 8 [Brigandine Coat, Mail Shirt and Steel Cap]
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+3
Attack: Heavy Lance +3 melee [1d10+2; x3 critical; 5 AP; Double Damage and +2 AP when charging on horseback] or Broadsword +3 melee [1d10+2; 19-20 x2 critical; 5 AP] or Hunting Bow +1 ranged [1d8; x2 critical; 1 AP; 50 feet range increment]
Special Attacks: Weapon Familiarity [Greatsword]
Special Qualities: Adaptability [Knowledge (nobility); Ride]; Faith [Mitran] (4); Rank; Title; Wealth
Saves: Fort +4; Ref +0; Will +7 (1)
Abilities: Str 15; Dex 10; Con 14; Int 10; Wis 10; Cha 12
Skills: Diplomacy +3; Handle Animal +3; Intimidate +2; Knowledge [history] +2; Knowledge [local] +2; Knowledge [nobility] +4 (2); Knowledge [religion] +2; Perform [poetry or any musical] +3; Perform [ritual] +3 (3); Ride +7 (2); Spot +2; Survival +2
Feats: Improved Initiative; Mounted Combat; Ride-By-Attack
Code of Honour: Civilized (4)
Allegiances: Feudal Lord; Mitran religion; King

Equipment: War trained Riding Horse, Bit and Bridle, Riding Saddle; Brigandine Coat, Mail Shirt, Large Shield; Heavy Lance, Broadsword, Hunting Bow with quiver of 20 arrows, Poinard; Doublet and Hose, Riding Boots, Shirt and Braes, Cloak, Costrel, Belt Pouch, Knight’s Belt

(1) Includes Faith and Civilized Code of Honour. A Squire also gains an additional +3 bonus against Corruption saving throws. Also see Note 4 below
(2) Includes Adaptability Bonus
(3) Used for the civic and religious rituals of knighthood, not sorcerous rituals
(4) Some Knights may lose their Code of Honour and Faith and all the advantages they entail by improper behavior by their actions in battle

The only common exception to a Hyborian is a Zingaran Knight which is quite different.

Zingaran Male First Level Noble
Hit Dice: 1d8 +1
Initiative: +1 [+1 Dex]
Movement: 30 Feet
Defense Value: Dodge 11; Parry 12 [+4 with Shield]
Damage Reduction: 6 [Mail Shirt and Steel Cap]
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/+2
Attack: Broadsword +3 melee (1) [1d10+2; 19-20 x2 critical; 5 AP] or Heavy Lance +2 melee [1d10+2; x3 critical; 5 AP; Double Damage and +2 AP when charging on horseback] or Crossbow +1 ranged [2d6; x2 critical; 4 AP; 80 feet range increment]
Full Attack: Broadsword and Poinard +3/+2 melee [1d10+2; 19-20 x2 critical; 5 AP and 1d6+1; 19-20 x2 critical; 3 AP]
Special Attacks: +1d6 Sneak Attack; +1 to attack rolls with Arming Sword and Broadsword; Weapon Familiarity [Greatsword]
Special Qualities: Rank; Title; Wealth
Saves: Fort +1; Ref +1; Will +2
Abilities: Str 14; Dex 12; Con 12; Int 10; Wis 10; Cha 14
Skills: Diplomacy +3 (1); Balance +4 (1); Handle Animal +4; Knowledge [nobility] + 4; Perform [poetry or musical] +4; Profession [sailor] +3 (1); Ride +5; Sense Motive +3 (1); Use Rope +4 (3)
Feats: Mounted Combat
Code of Honour: Usually None
Alligences: Variable

Equipment: War trained Riding Horse, Bit and Bridle, Riding Saddle; Mail Shirt, Steel Cap, Shield; Broadsword, Heavy Lance, Poinard, Crossbow with quiver of 20 bolts; Merchant class Hose and Doublet, Riding Boots, Shirt and Braes, Cloak and Knight’s Belt; Drinking Jack

(1) Includes racial bonus or penalty

And should the Zingaran Squire survive his first civil war-

Zingaran Male First Level Noble/First Level Soldier
Hit Dice: 1d8 + 1d10 +2
Initiative: +5 [Improved Initiative and +1 Dex]
Defense Value: Dodge 11; Parry 12
Damage Reduction: 8 [Brigandine Coat, Mail Shirt and Steel Cap]
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+3
Attack: Broadsword +4 melee (1) [1d10+2; 19-20 x2 critical; 5 AP] or Heavy Lance +3 melee [1d10+2; x3 critical; 5 AP; Double Damage and +2 AP while charging on horseback] or Crossbow +2 ranged [2d6; x2 critical; 4 AP; 80 feet range increment]
Full Attack: Broadsword and Poinard +4/+3 melee [1d10+2; 19-20 x2 critical, 5 AP and 1d6+1; 19-20 x2 critical; 3 AP]
Special Attacks: +1d6 Sneak Attack; +1 to hit with Broadsword and Arming Sword; Weapon Familiarity [Greatsword]
Special Qualities: Rank; Title; Wealth
Saves: Fort +3; Ref +1; Will +2
Abilities: Str 14; Dex 12; Con 12; Int 10; Wis 10; Cha 14
Skills: Diplomacy +3 (1); Balance +4 (1); Handle Animal + 4; Intimidate +3; Knowledge [nobility] +4; Perform [poetry or musical] +4; Profession [sailor] +3 (1); Ride +6; Sense Motive +3 (1); Use Rope +4 (1)
Feats: Improved Initiative; Mounted Combat; Ride-By-Attack
Code of Honour: Usually None
Alligences: Variable

Equipment: War trained Riding Horse, Bit and Bridle, Riding Saddle; Brigandine Coat; Mail Shirt, Steel Cap, Shield; Broadsword, Heavy Lance, Poinard, Crossbow with quiver of 20 bolts; Merchant class Hose and Doublet, Riding Boots, Shirt and Braes, Cloak and Knight’s Belt; Wineskin

(1) Includes racial bonus or penalty

Back