Why I won't be buying MRQ

Dead Blue Clown said:
There are cups of tea more intimidating than me.

Well, yeah, but that's Tea. I mean, you can burn your tongue on hot tea. THen the cirtus from the lemon can get into the wound--ohh agony. pain and suffering, no more biscuits.

Tea...scary stuff. :D

Well, im not a troll, but will be vanishing into the ether once the new version of RQ is out. :)

I know there are lots of lurkers here among my boardgaming group....some of us tend to buy RPG stuff even though we dont play RPGs at all. Since its Glorantha, we will be buying just to read the material, so how well written things are is VERY important to us. Whether the combat system works well or other game mechanics mesh are very secondary.

Wonder if publishers like Mongoose know non-players are a market, however small. I think its great they are remaking RQ :)

wargamer66 said:
Wonder if publishers like Mongoose know non-players are a market, however small.

I hope they do... back in the days before I did this for a living and could afford to blow stacks of disposable income, I spent somewhere in the region of £3-400 a month on adding books to my RPG collection. The majority I only ever read the background sections in, maybe 10% actually got played. I'd happily buy a nice thick hardback just so I could sit and read it in bed.

atgxtg said:
Dead Blue Clown said:
There are cups of tea more intimidating than me.

Well, yeah, but that's Tea. I mean, you can burn your tongue on hot tea. THen the cirtus from the lemon can get into the wound--ohh agony. pain and suffering, no more biscuits.

Tea...scary stuff. :D

You have issues!

I mean lemon in tea... ugh...

mthomason said:
I hope they do... back in the days before I did this for a living and could afford to blow stacks of disposable income, I spent somewhere in the region of £3-400 a month on adding books to my RPG collection. The majority I only ever read the background sections in, maybe 10% actually got played. I'd happily buy a nice thick hardback just so I could sit and read it in bed.

We estimate that perhaps 80% of all roleplaying books are bought, read, put on a shelf and never played - this is why we try to make them an interesting read, in addition to playing well :)

jadrax said:
You have issues!

Hmm, that narrows it down. You prefer milk in your tea. You are either from the UK, or you are my sister. Toss in the facts that your address is listed as "Middlesbrough" and that sister doesn't game, and I've come to the conclusion that I should not givve you her birthday present. :idea:

Nice try. :)

*continues the thread derailment happily*

I prefer nothing in my tea (other than sweetener) if hot, but absolutely love lemon ice tea :)

msprange said:
We estimate that perhaps 80% of all roleplaying books are bought, read, put on a shelf and never played - this is why we try to make them an interesting read, in addition to playing well :)

THat fit's in with my persoanl experience. I've got boxes of RPGs but only play about a quarter of them. Pretty close to your 20%/80%. I do have a tendancy to use some of the games I don't play as reference or support for games that I do play. Currently, I've got a half dozen "samurai" RPGs out for reference while I work up a Usagi Yojimbo adventure.

I guess that it is a univeral trend among gamers then.

msprange said:
mthomason said:

I'd bet that this is more true for the classic RPG worlds (Glorantha, Tekumel, Jorune, etc.) than most settings too. In fact, I know that several of the longtime Glorantha RQ contributors basically weren't players at all - whether by choice or just growing commitments of age.

RMS said:
msprange said:
mthomason said:

I'd bet that this is more true for the classic RPG worlds (Glorantha, Tekumel, Jorune, etc.) than most settings too. In fact, I know that several of the longtime Glorantha RQ contributors basically weren't players at all - whether by choice or just growing commitments of age.

Old players never die, they just lose their dice...

atgxtg said:
jadrax said:
You have issues!

Hmm, that narrows it down. You prefer milk in your tea. You are either from the UK, or you are my sister. Toss in the facts that your address is listed as "Middlesbrough" and that sister doesn't game, and I've come to the conclusion that I should not givve you her birthday present. :idea:

Nice try. :)

Argggh Foiled! I will get you next time sir! And You *will* regret this!!!!!!!!!

Back