Who are still playing in 1st edition and why ?

Faënril

Mongoose
All is in the Subject Title :D .

I am reconsidering rolling back to 1st edition.

My players do not use Influence rules or new spaceship rules, changing to 2nd edition has donne some unfair changes.

What about you ?

I bought 2nd rules. Although the book itself was better, having all the rules within it (not needing a seperate D20 rulebook), I have to say I prefer 1st Ed and still use it.

I prefer minimal rules (as do my players) and 2nd Ed seemed to have lots of rules for the sake of it. IMO, influence does not need rules, it should be roleplayed. The new telepath rules did not sit well with me either. But hey, that's just my opinion ;)

On the plus side, there were some nice improvements such as Defense bonus related to your class and the skills seemed to be organised better, but overall I did not see a massive benefit to converting to 2nd edition (esp considering converting all players and NPCs to new rules).

I would be interested to know how many others have stuck with 1st edition?

I still play 1st ed, for a great many reasons, I have way more material for it, and I don't wait in vain for the material to be converted to that edition.

LBH

If they weren't going to do it properly, which thus far they haven't IMHO, they should never have promised compatibility like they did.

YEs people would have been miffed about having incompatible books, but at least we'd have been [properly informed, now I'm miffed and ddisgruntled. This is a personal bugbear of mine.

LBH

EDIT: Though I might forgive Matt if he released the rest of the A:2089 quintology of novels and released an A:2089 minis game.

LBH

Well my alternate request is only because they haven't given us what they said they would. Proof if you will that it's always easier to keep promises than make up for broken ones later :lol:

LBH

I ran B5 1st Edition once or twice as a one shot but never ran a campaign. Another member of my group ran a 1st Edition campaign, one I was not involved with and discovered some serious issues with the balance in the game, in particular in the area of Telepaths.

Now I am considering a campaign in Second edition because I like the rules better. As for Influence and starship rules, I am not concerned. We have been playing sci-fi games for 15 years and hardly ever get into a need for starship rules. Influence I may use, I dunno.

My big concern is all this talk about compatibility. I know d20 pretty well, and I have been diving deep in my B5 books all night tonight. I do find occasional problems here and there, the biggest glaring problem is Telepath abilities, but other than that, I think I can handle most major converison issues on the fly.

We'll see how it turns out.

Ron

I don't think telepaths are meant to be balanced with the other classes. As in the TV show, telepaths ARE more powerful than normals and this is reflected in the game. As Wade put it in one episode it's homo superior vs. homo sapiens!

On the flip side though, if you have a human telepath then they are severely limited in the ablilities they can use due to the controls imposed upon them by Psi Corp, or later the Bureau of Telepathic Integration.

Also, if you have a good group of roleplayers then the question of balance should not really come into it, just don't let any power gamers play a teep ;)

I actually like the Influence rules, and have even ported them into other games. As much as roleplaying may be preferred for such things it is hard for PC's, who are actually only played through adventures to accumulate the "oomph" to call in a cruiser to lean on someone. It is nice to have a game mechanic that allows that to happen without all the pushing and whining that can occure when you try to use pure roleplaying to accomplish it.

The way I tend to run things is to have the player make the skill or influence check and then give the option for them to roleplay the encounter in accordance with the result. This way I satisfy both roleplayers and people who'd rather the game mechanics handle things, by making the mechanics important but not using them to bypass the RP aspect of the RPG.

Back