White Wolf/ Necromancer Games site hacked

Thoth Aw C'mon

Mongoose
FYI to those of you who also frequent the Necromancer Games website as I do, I found this posted on their site:

http://www.necromancergames.com/

Dear White Wolf Users,

Like many other well-known companies of the last few years, White Wolf was the target of an attack by international hackers this weekend. These hackers are now attempting to extort money from us with the threat of posting user data to the internet. We have no intention of paying this money, and are in contact with the FBI in an attempt to bring these criminals to justice.

We are choosing to make this public so that our users and fans can take any precautions needed to protect themselves. We are recommending that if you have used your White Wolf user password as the password for any other services you use on the internet, that you change them immediately.

These hackers were able to exploit a flaw in our software and access user data, this data included usernames, email addresses and encrypted passwords. As far as we can ascertain, they were unable to access any credit card data (nor have they claimed they did). However, it is possible for the encrypted passwords they accessed to be decrypted given enough time.

In addition, the site will be down for the next few days while we evaluate some of the software we are using and take appropriate action to help prevent future attacks.

We appreciate your patience and concern while we work through the details of this process.

In addition to this posting we will be emailing our userbase with this information. For correspondence regarding this, please direct all queries to wwaccounts@white-wolf.com .

Man, that sucks :cry:

BTW, it seems that the compromised accounts were the logins for the forums and online store on the main WW site (and apparently not the logins for the Necromancer Games EzBoard forums).

- thulsa

Raven Blackwell said:
Hmmm.....anyone object to me using black magic in an effort for Vengeance? 8)
I don't care because I never liked WoD.
Too much words for nought bring vampires to a drought.

Belkregos said:
those damed Virtual Adepts...
how low will the Ivory Tower fall....

We Death-Dealers can even the score. Even virtual space must inevitably fall to Entropy. 8)

Besides King's right. Everything is energy and can be manipulated by those who have developed the power to do so. I've used the Internet to transmit curses and healings before......as I am doing now. This just gives me a chance to stretch my abilities. I think I can track these SOBs down- and transmit a nasty curse in the process.

Hi folks. I just got a message from one of my players who has an account with White Wolf. He wrote that, "I should have kept the e-mail to show you guys (the poor spelling & grammar were entertaining) but, apparently, the hackers have e-mailed me and asked me to send them "thank you" money ($10) in order to get back my User Data for the White Wolf site."

Lousy scum.

wow thats nasty :evil: go get them raven 8) we will see if we can get them excommunicated from our end and catch the scum on both sides :twisted:

You know, if they actually had the forums system on a different server than their online store, this magnitude of breach would have never happened.

Keeping the customer database separate from the forums user database is a pretty important security measure. And on separate servers, it takes twice the effort to try and find a vulnerability to get at them. Because they have to hack separate machines to get that information.

I don't think one can ever be too vigilant when it comes to computer security.

Bregales said:
Hi folks. I just got a message from one of my players who has an account with White Wolf. He wrote that, "I should have kept the e-mail to show you guys (the poor spelling & grammar were entertaining) but, apparently, the hackers have e-mailed me and asked me to send them "thank you" money ($10) in order to get back my User Data for the White Wolf site."

Lousy scum.

I got that same email too, and now for your reading pleasure.

"After the server white-wolf.com has been hacked admins have refused
"to thank" us.
We suggest you to buy database white-wolf.com all for 10 $.
In base of 65000 accounts with mails, icq, msn, personal data of users.
Mail for details"

Back