Votes: 0 0.0%
  • White Star with Sheridan?

• Not much!

• Total voters

deathlynx

Mongoose
Well, with all of the discussion about ISA being overpowered in Tournies I was wondering what people's thoughts were about the WS-2? Is it worth a normal WS with Sheridan? Is it worth 2 WSs? My reason for asking is this, if people aren't taking these to tournies then maybe Matt's suggestion of paring down the Tourny fleets could including removing the WS in favor of the WS-2?

I'm not voting as none of the options really suit my answer, but if you frop the WS in favour of the WS 2 (How dare you! :lol: ) The ISa will be further neutered at the lower PLs than they are already. not good. You might need to allow them to spend more points on allies to compensate, and then at Skirmish and BElow, you'd probably see nothing but Allied ships, so it would be an ISA fleet in name only.

LBH

lastbesthope said:
I'm not voting as none of the options really suit my answer,
And that answer would be? :)

but if you frop the WS in favour of the WS 2 (How dare you! :lol: ) The ISa will be further neutered at the lower PLs than they are already. not good.
My thoughts are that if we're seeing too many White Star fleets at Tournies (and they're "unstoppable") then maybe imposing a little more of a penalty in tournies is a good thing...I'm not suggesting cutting the WS from the list in general just for the tournies since they are mostly dealing in higher PLs from what people are saying...Or perhaps restricting the number of WSs (non-2 versions) allowed?

You might need to allow them to spend more points on allies to compensate, and then at Skirmish and BElow, you'd probably see nothing but Allied ships, so it would be an ISA fleet in name only.
But that's my point, how much of allies are being brought at the moment?

Forgive my appearance of stupidity or lack of info, but is the WS variant we are discussing the one fro mthe final episode? the one he takes to corianis?

It's an upgrade of the original White Star to carry missile launchers and IIRC it has more damage. It's battle PL instead of Raid. It uses the same hull as the original WS. the ship you're talking about is commonly called the Blue Star and hasn't got stats for ActA yet.

My thoughts are that if we're seeing too many White Star fleets at Tournies (and they're "unstoppable") then maybe imposing a little more of a penalty in tournies is a good thing...I'm not suggesting cutting the WS from the list in general just for the tournies since they are mostly dealing in higher PLs from what people are saying...Or perhaps restricting the number of WSs (non-2 versions) allowed?

I'm curious as to where you are getting that impression from. The recent tournaments did feature a number of high placing ISA fleets, but they all delved heavily into the allied pool of ships to augment the White Star wolf packs. Without that, I'm not sure how a purely ISA fleet list would over power oponnents without the use of superior tactics.

deathlynx said:
lastbesthope said:
I'm not voting as none of the options really suit my answer,
And that answer would be? :)

but if you frop the WS in favour of the WS 2 (How dare you! :lol: ) The ISa will be further neutered at the lower PLs than they are already. not good.

You might need to allow them to spend more points on allies to compensate, and then at Skirmish and BElow, you'd probably see nothing but Allied ships, so it would be an ISA fleet in name only.
But that's my point, how much of allies are being brought at the moment?

Well my answer would be, it depends what I think I'm up against, at higher level engagements, Sheridan or a WSC-2 are better options, but at lower levels give me the extra WS anyday.

To my knowledge, at the recent Mongoose tourney, I was the only pure ISA fleet, though I never faced any of the others, I think most had allied ships in their makeup.

LBH

Obsidian said:
I'm curious as to where you are getting that impression from. The recent tournaments did feature a number of high placing ISA fleets, but they all delved heavily into the allied pool of ships to augment the White Star wolf packs. Without that, I'm not sure how a purely ISA fleet list would over power oponnents without the use of superior tactics.
Well, there are a couple of different threads out there which I was, apparently, combining to form the wrong impression...One stated that ISA is way overused/overpowered in Tournament play and another was that Whitestars' special rules make them very difficult to kill...While I can't speak to the former I do know how hard WS are to hit...granted their low Damage and Crew do ballance that out quite a bit...

As for the comparison I just don't feel the Whitestar-2 has enough oomph to give it the full PL above the original (in other words to be worth 2 of the former)...The weapons upgrade is very nice but the fact that only the damage and not the crew are upgraded makes this rather moot...The truth is that Damage and Crew generally drop equally when hit, so having increased Damage without the increased Crew doesn't mean much except that you're more likely to suffer Skeleton Crew the Crippled...Unfortunately the PL system doesn't have a way to do things by halves so it's either a PL higher or not...

Well 2 Whitestars equal to A Whitestar with Sheridan and a WSC-2 depending on the tactics that you use, also the size of the game will also determine what it is equal to, a lower PL game will equal 2 Whitestars to a WSC-2 more, but a higher PL game will equal 2 Whitestars with a Whitestar with Sheridan
but as with all things, its how you use them to your advantage that REALLY counts

Back