which is your favourite dredd supplement

This might be better as a poll, since there aren't that many options, the best I think would be Rookies guide to Brit Cit. While missing a few important bits (Psi in Brit-Cit), it is still quite an inspiring book.

BritCit author JohnC told me that Brit-Cit's pyskers are no different to those in the RG to Psi-Talent, so he didn't want to rip readers off by repeating what he created for that book - he didn't write Psi-Talent but he came up with all the ideas for prestige classes.

lawbabe said:
he didn't write Psi-Talent but he came up with all the ideas for prestige classes.

Err, not quite true - I did actually do some writing myself for that book :)

Ah, but John came up with the names of the psyker prestige classes and ideas for lots of the psi-powers - he asked about the old rpg group for input when you invited him to contribute to Psi-Talent, remember?

I used to rpg with John btw, though I moved out of the area when I got hitched. Hope you don't mind me speaking up for the Man - nobody else does and he deserves more credit than this board perhaps gives him :)

Merry Christmas Everybody!

Grimalkin said:
We missed off U/C Ops (Brit-Cit Wally squad), too.

I was telling JohnC about this thread - fortunately I saw your message Matt! John tells me that there was no need for an Undercover Judge prestige class 'cause it is the same as the Wally Squad judge PC. To quote JohnC:

'My intention then and now is to give readers/customers the greatest value for money/bang for their buck - depending on which side of the Atlantic you live on. There is no reason to present slightly tweaked material from one book to the next simply to pad out the page count.'

Amen Bro!

Then John hit me with a body blow - he's closed down his Judge Dredd RPG site!! Jesus wept. The best Dredd site has taken the Long Walk... according to John its down to lack of interest on DredRPG across the board.... very sad, though Dredd never was going to be mainstream, especially across the pond with our American RPG cousins. Quoting John again.... [sorry to quote him, but he wont post here]

'I don't believe the time is right for a Judge Dredd RPG - I don't know if it will ever be, to be honest with you Liz - but it was fun while it lasted. I do believe firmly that any 2000AD roleplaying game should go inhouse within Rebellion, perhaps packed with the Megazine and using a more friendly rules system. D20 I feel has alientated fans of the Games Workshop original, who turned their backs on the new incarnation; it was demoralising to receive e-mails on this very issue while I worked on the D20 books - even e-mails from my fellow Dredd writers! It was one reason for my retirement from writing for Mongoose in late 2002; the fun had gone out of Dredd. My problems with D20 had also impacted negatively on my work and looking back at the RG to the Justice Department and Brit-Cit, I can see how much better they could have been without my wasting time [and page count] learning a rules system that is completely unsuited for a fast and frenetic setting like Judge Dredd. Rest assured, however, that if and when the tide turns for the good judge's roleplaying exploits then my web-site will be back up, better than ever. Cheers Liz.'

The rest I won't bore you with, some crap about John writing a series of novels for a well-known publisher :)

Lawbabe said:
I was telling JohnC about this thread - fortunately I saw your message Matt! John tells me that there was no need for an Undercover Judge prestige class 'cause it is the same as the Wally Squad judge PC.

I wasn't thinking of a prestige class - there's no description of the U/C Ops at all, despite it playing a major role in many of the Armitage stories, as well as forming the basis for Brit-Cit Babes!

I was expressing disapointment with my own oversights rather than having a go at John.

Anonymous said:
Lawbabe said:
[sorry to quote him, but he wont post here]

Not under his own name, anyway.

You're not fooling anyone, John

Since Im not sure JohnC knows the Dredd game is still going I dont see him posting here :)... and I dont see him having a sex change to do it!! :D

Merry Christmas anyway, 'Guest' :)

Grimalkin said:
And there are referances to Psi powered judges (Paras), too - I'm not sure why they never appeared in the final manuscript! We missed off U/C Ops (Brit-Cit Wally squad), too.

PARA SQUAD - RG To Brit-Cit, pages 44, 47.

U/C SQUAD - RG To Brit-Cit, page 48.

You sure you actually wrote the book Grimalkin [or is it John?] :)

- Liz

is there anyone else who would like too put this thread back on track and say which is there favourite mongoose dredd supplement and why?

toothill man said:
is there anyone else who would like too put this thread back on track and say which is there favourite mongoose dredd supplement and why?

Sorry, Toothill Man - forgot my own rules!

Don't feed the trolls, folks!

I think that so far Psi Talent and Brit-Cit tie for joint first in the Rookies Guides, though I am eagerly waiting for Matts Undercity book. Each of the guides has its own strengths and weaknesses, but on the whole they are all well written and add more to the Dredd universe and I for one look forward to seeing more of them make it into print next year.

Marc

No apologies for appearing as as you say a TROLL guys, it does nothing for a girl's self confidence, but I was doing my festive bit to bring a bit of life into this board, which you gotta admit it is moribund <thanks Alan Partridge for reminding me of that word!> I paraphrased JohnC's message which was sent to moi in conversation and never intended to appear on any message board - but it raised eyebrows and thats a good thing. Controversy is needed on every board... I just didnt think this board was so fragile that any word of dissent was going to be leapt on and devoured - by the boards only member it seems LOL

So long from me miserable Grinmalkin <have another whiskey wont you> and all the best for this board; lets pray for a christmas miracle that judge Dredd rpg has not been dug up to die another drawn out death. Adios, I wish it had been fun,

your's
Liz Rennie <mrs>, terribly disappointed 2000AD fan speaking for the other eleven people who used to buy the game

I am very sorry you feel that way Liz and if the rules system behind it did not shake your tree, I sincerely apologise.

However, the Dredd RPG is by no means dead. Both the rulebook and the supplements still enjoy a brisk trade in British book stores, in addition to hobby shops. To date well over 5,000 people are now exploring Mega-City One through the new Dredd RPG. For any modern day niche RPG those numbers would be good - for soemthing like Dredd that does not have a wide following in the US it is, quite frankly, awesome.

I respect your views and if you do not wish to see any further supplements for the game, my advice would be to ignore them when they come along - as far as we are concerned, if you actually bought any of our books, you have the perfect right to criticise them.

On the other hand, things are not quiet in Mega-City One. We have already mentioned the new supplements due out in the New Year. However, stand by for an announcement of a brand new Judge Dredd game coming very soon. . .

Well I may be a little biased, I playtest for Mongoose as do all my group and they have always been a company I have felt take a sincere interest in what thier fans and customers think regarding thier products and will if a valid point or interesting suggestion is made act upon it.

I've had dealings with Matthew, Paul, Alexander, August, Ian and more...... and becaus eof the way they deal with things and the fact they listen they have my upmost respect and I am more than happy to part with my cash to buy thier products too.

Though my slight <g> bias aside I can safely say that if a book we playtest sucks I will quite happily says so and point out why I or we feel that way. Now I didnt playtest Judge Dredd, I did however purchase it and every supplement released with exception of the adventure trilogy and the only reason I didnt get those is because I personally dont hold much faith in any published adventure... anyway I digress.

I purchased Judge Dredd and have been an avid reader of the comic for like some 21 years (still holding out hope for the ABC Warriors, Rogue Trooper, Nemesis RPGs <g>), I bought the original boxed RPG from GW and have mnuch fondness for that also... I did not however feel disappointed in anyway with the Mongoose incarnation of JD, it works, it was put together well and is relatively problem free.

I would guess the main grievance if any for anyone would likely boil down to the system as people tend to either be a fan of D20 or not... but that aside the MGP Judge Dredd RPG works within the D20 system very well and has little in the way of balance issues.

I often hear folks on the boards say no new books are coming it must be dead.. but I guess im a little bit more in tune with the flow of Mongoose releases and the pace of thier release schedule anyway due to the playtesting. Not fast for Mongoose is actually slowing thier pace to that of other companies...<g> Every Month Mongoose releases half about half a dozen books, which compared to other companies release schedules of 1-2 per 2 or 3 months is absolute extraordinary and worthy of respect in itself. Anyway the point im making is Mongoose tend to release a rule book, a series of adventure and 2 0r 3 sourcebooks for each new RPG they releases in order to give folks enough to play indefinitely with and also to test the waters for that RPG without placing all thier eggs in the one basket and risking all the years releases on the one thing which may or may not sell well... after the initial releases pace slows somewhat but books do come. I would in fact be highly surprised if Matt did not have half a dozen completed books written for any one of thier setting sat on his desk ready to be edited, printed and released as and when the time is right.

anyway just a little.. rant, eye opening insight, or ramble as suits from the Neo :lol:

I can wait for new releases, I'm not going anywhere and neither is the Mongoose, so keep the faith and things will inevitably appear.

Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year everyone!

as someone who has just been given the rulebook for christmas must amit it looks good and even when I go on about slaine etc it is only because mongoose is so good and yes will be here in years too come 8) so I have time too wait but know slaine,Dredd,Quints,slayers,B5 any whatever else mongoose have in the hat will always be supported so can anyone I have not asked or anyone who changed there mind please tell me the best supplement for Dredd by mongoose at this time?

toothill man said:
as someone who has just been given the rulebook for christmas must amit it looks good and even when I go on about slaine etc it is only because mongoose is so good and yes will be here in years too come 8) so I have time too wait but know slaine,Dredd,Quints,slayers,B5 any whatever else mongoose have in the hat will always be supported so can anyone I have not asked or anyone who changed there mind please tell me the best supplement for Dredd by mongoose at this time?

Hi Toothhillman,
The best supplement really depends on what kind of campaign your planning on running to be honest! If you plan on running a judge campaign then books such as block wars and criminal organistaions are not really worth getting for the moment, though they do have information that could be of use for judge characters and a GM running a judge campaign.

Likewise if your running a citizen campagin its not really a good idea to get the Justice Department sourcebook as to say either block wars, criminal organisations or even crazes. So really it depends on the types of adventures your planning.

Justice Department is excellent and ideal for finding out more information about the judges and what exactly makes them tick, and no judges campaign would be worth running without it.

Criminal organisations is perfect for building your perp characters up into a formidable foe for judges and if you add the mass combat rules from block wars, then your on to a winner. Crazes adds more citizen prestige classes than any other book out at the moment (but this will pale when compaired to Atlantis) and also gives you information for even running your own supersurf championship or playing a game of shuggy.

As I have said it is really down to the kind of adventures your planning on running, but I am sure that you will love all the products that are out there.

Marc

Back