Where to find more Vargr ships?

Llaeknuegh

Mongoose
Hello everyone! :D

Since Mongoose publishes the Traveller series, I'm a huge fan! As you may have already noticed by my username, I'm especially a huuuge fan of the Vargr! I own already several Traveller books, including the Traveller Main Corebook, the Alien Module: Vargr and the supplements of Trades & Gunboats as well as Merchants & Cruisers.

What I'm searching for are more Vargr ships! Especially bigger warships with a displacement ranging from 1k to 5k dtons, like the colonial cruiser from T&G.

Can anyone help me, please?

I already own a copy of that marvelous book and I love it. However, since military and navy campaigns are an attractive option for player characters I would really appreciate to have some sample warships of Vargr and otheralien races complete with deck plans and pictures.

Llaeknuegh said:
I would really appreciate to have some sample warships of Vargr and otheralien races complete with deck plans and pictures.

Alien Module: Vargr didn't come with a bunch?

A frigate which works really great as pirate hunter or as system defense with 800 dtons. Don't get me wrong, the Vargr ships in this book are all great! Just not enough warships with a single frigate.:)

Don't know that I've seen many for any edition, deckplans or not.

The Aek Naz (30kton) and Foghoks (10kton) classes have MegaTraveller stats and external pics in the old Rebellion Sourcebook. Both are "TL11" (despite the Aek Naz having J4) and are meant to display the ugly tradeoffs needed at lower TL. Ironic, given that MegaTraveller crippled the lower TLs at the outset. Both ships would benefit from the later powerplant revolution, but that isn't what is illustrated.

Design-wise, Vargr ships are not going to look much different than Imperials, other than an average lower TL and some missing tech (all known black globes are Imperial, for example). Once you get to deckplans the "Vargr Difference" starts to be more obvious. Small feet (and no simians in their genetic backstory) means fewer ladders and more ramps and stairs, and of course that "carnivorous muzzle" look that the Vargr favor for overall hull form.

I can't recall from Alien Module: Vargr or the Traveller Main Rulebook, that the Vargr are several levels behind the third Imperium regarding technological development. Could you please provide some source?

The Vargr *as a species* are not behind the Imperium by more than a century or so. The most advanced Vargr worlds are TL15 that I know of, and there may be a TL16 or two by the time the Rebellion comes around.

The difference is that TL15 is not as widespread in Vargr space, and that the Vargr are not unified by any stretch of the imagination. Pocket states, small empires, and a persistently localized "wolf pack" approach to organization. Many of their nations lack the social and economic benefits of the Imperium's "Trade Association" as well. If the little polity you grew up in tops out at TL12, that's what you have access to for large projects like ships. You can't just hop over to the next polity over and see if they'll build you something at TL14, because they might just shoot you instead. Your own polity might not even let a private party have access to the best stuff.

At the same time, these polities change constantly, so the knowledge of TL15 is hardly a secret. That is presumably what allows a TL11 ships like the Aek Naz to have Jump 4 available. Its builders knew to put a big enough drive in, but may have had to steal the programming to control the jumps and any other components distinct to that level, because they can't necessarily buy the stuff from a rival. They *might* be able to, but cannot take it for granted.

The Black Globe started as an Imperial find at an Ancient's site that the Imperium has since reverse engineered. All known examples are Imperial. That goes back to early JTAS and the Kinunir.

Back