Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thorny Tanker

• King Tanker

• Total voters

Dr. Rooster

Mongoose
Every bug player has thier own style, whether you can tell or not. And looking at the differences in the 3 tanker types, I was wondering what your favorite tanker is.

The regular tanker is a beauty, and always will be, but the lack of reactions really can spell out D-E-A-T-H.

The king tanker is the mother of all armoured units, but it is so easy to identify, (above and underground) and it's a piece of cake to outrun. I've found that they don't fit my sneaky tactic style and I don't care for them much.

The thorny tanker is my buddy, my absolute favorite. 2+ armor save and a CC attack that pulverises anything it hits. Whenever I send my 2 regular tankers into battle, I find myself sub-consciously using them as though they were thorny tankers (i.e. sending them underground and popping up in close combat to imediatly CC the enemy). I hardly every use the regular tankers ranged attack, and I'm going to love the reactions! :twisted:

So, you know my vote, but for you bug players out there, what is yours?

agreed. The thorny tanker is also nice, but its getting him INTO combat thats annoying, theyre slow moving if I rightly remember meaning lots of big badaboom shots will be going at them. The king tankers just really expensive, in points AND cash. The regular tanker is a bit of added force to a basic army and is often useful, especially where theres more than one.

I think... :?

(I dont have the arachnid book, but I have skim read one). :roll:

Rob_alderman said:
agreed. The thorny tanker is also nice, but its getting him INTO combat thats annoying, theyre slow moving if I rightly remember meaning lots of big badaboom shots will be going at them. The king tankers just really expensive, in points AND cash. The regular tanker is a bit of added force to a basic army and is often useful, especially where theres more than one.

I think... :?

(I dont have the arachnid book, but I have skim read one). :roll:
Well, about the thorny being slow; he's not. For a bug, he's fast, but only when underground. You would be amazed at how easy it is to tunnel underneath the MI's most valuable assest and crush them.

Put short; tunnel forward and attack with the thorny.

I apologize for double posting, but I have a further question concerning the king tanker;

The king tanker in an inch slower than the regular tanker (i.e. 4 in. move, 5 in. tunnel). So when you send this guy alongside your other tunnel markers, he sticks out like a sore thumb, everything else will be going a bit faster. And I definetly don't want to slow down the rest of my bugs just because of the king tankers slowness!

So once they figure out which one's the king, they can just jump away. Above ground it's even worse; they just run back and shoot!

So how do you use this guy anyways? :?

I voted for the regular Tanker because that's all I've ever used. However, today I visited my local store and they had the King Tanker in stock. I just couldn't resist buying it. I got $30 off by cashing in a store discount card, which helped a lot! :D

Yes, the King Tanker is very slow, but I think attaching a Burrower bug to it and tunneling 8" per action could be fun. :twisted:

Yeah, but it would slow him down even more if you attachted a burrower to him. Think of when he pops up.

I've never been fond of burrowers either...

Scotty59 said:
Yes, the King Tanker is very slow, but I think attaching a Burrower bug to it and tunneling 8" per action could be fun. :twisted:

I'm quoting myself because now I think I was wrong. :oops: I've been re-reading a lengthy thread about Burrower bugs from back in February, and it seems that if the Burrower is attached to another unit, the Burrower cannot move faster than the attached unit. An attached Burrower does not give the other unit 8" of tunneling movement.

So, attaching a Burrower to a King Tanker would not increase the Tanker's tunneling speed to 8" per action. Sorry!

Scotty59 said:
Scotty59 said:

I'm quoting myself because now I think I was wrong. :oops: I've been re-reading a lengthy thread about Burrower bugs from back in February, and it seems that if the Burrower is attached to another unit, the Burrower cannot move faster than the attached unit. An attached Burrower does not give the other unit 8" of tunneling movement.

So, attaching a Burrower to a King Tanker would not increase the Tanker's tunneling speed to 8" per action. Sorry!

It says MOVE not tunnel. you can take a ready and tunnel but if you are moving threw an exisiting tunnel then you move at 3".

Bah Humbug! The burrower wouldn't do anything for the king tanker. Granted the burrower would be best attachted to the king tanker but it slows down anything, even lugnuts like the king himself.

But if I had to use the king, I guess I would use Probe tactics.....

I dunno, what do you guys think? :?:

Dr. Rooster said:
Bah Humbug! The burrower wouldn't do anything for the king tanker. Granted the burrower would be best attachted to the king tanker but it slows down anything, even lugnuts like the king himself.

But if I had to use the king, I guess I would use Probe tactics.....

I dunno, what do you guys think? :?:

A King Tanker could move a little faster by giving it a 3rd move action from a Brain's coordinate ability. That would help a bit.

True.......

I guess in Probe tactics or any other battle line situation it would work........

...meh, he's just not my style......

...ok I'm done babbling :oops:

For PL1 and PL 2 I like regular tankers.

PL3 I prefer a KT *BUT* if you use a KT they must be paired with a Brain Bug to be really effective (as stated above). The use of coordinate means a triple move- if it doesnt put him in CC it sure gets him within range to spit on something within a single turn!

Until I figured out that little combo (seems obvious doesnt it?) my MI buddies used to be able to weaken the KT pretty good.

I've never played with a thorny yet. I just may have to switch up now and confound the MI players.

There should be a fourth option for no Tankers. I think they're all too expensive for something that your opponent is going to easily avoid as long as he's using anything but LAMI. If I know for a fact that I'll be up against LAMI, then I might take a regular Tanker, but that's about it. For me, Tankers are like tunneling, my army tends to do better when I spend the points on more bugs (warriors, hoppers, etc.).

Quark said:
There should be a fourth option for no Tankers. I think they're all too expensive for something that your opponent is going to easily avoid as long as he's using anything but LAMI. If I know for a fact that I'll be up against LAMI, then I might take a regular Tanker, but that's about it. For me, Tankers are like tunneling, my army tends to do better when I spend the points on more bugs (warriors, hoppers, etc.).

Has any one ever ran 133 warriors in a 2000 point game?

Two regular tankers preceding a king and tunneling up about 10" ahead of it, thereby screening it, has made my MI opponents s**t their pants.

Question; why is the thorny tanker being released 3 months from now when it was like one of the first new bugs to be sculpted? :?:

Back