What will your first PC be?

Archer

Mongoose
So, what will your first RuneQuest player character be?

I will probably create a hard-billed duck bounty hunter, who looks a bit tattered, with an eyepatch, worn black leather armor, and a very large crossbow. He has quite an attitude for his size, especially since he is a duck.

Archer said:
A conversion of one of my old dozen or so characters, I imagine (barring the ones I already threw together for playtesting). If it can't do my old PCs, I'll be most disappointed (I haven't actually tried this yet, it's not the point of playtesting).

Wulf

Wulf Corbett said:
Archer said:
A conversion of one of my old dozen or so characters, I imagine (barring the ones I already threw together for playtesting). If it can't do my old PCs, I'll be most disappointed (I haven't actually tried this yet, it's not the point of playtesting).

Wulf

You have a dozen or so characters that still are alive? whow.
Even if I had been playing with the same players these days, no character survived, or are too crippled (lost leg and arm etc.).

Archer said:
Even if I had been playing with the same players these days, no character survived, or are too crippled (lost leg and arm etc.).
Well, we started the campaign in RQ1, carried on through RQ2 and 3, re-created the same characters in GURPS RQ (a homebrew of very little success), and then again in HeroQuest.

So, although, yes, I have a dozen or more surviving characters, which have never actually DIED (erm... well, excepting my Shaman... she died as part of her origin story...), they'll be recreated as yet another re-imaging.

Wulf

Wulf Corbett said:
Archer said:
Well, we started the campaign in RQ1, carried on through RQ2 and 3, re-created the same characters in GURPS RQ (a homebrew of very little success), and then again in HeroQuest.

So, although, yes, I have a dozen or more surviving characters, which have never actually DIED (erm... well, excepting my Shaman... she died as part of her origin story...), they'll be recreated as yet another re-imaging.

Wulf

Cool. Never had characters that has survived for very long when using Basic Role-play as system, combat is most often lethal enough to eventually kill even the most skilled character (exception being my Melniboné character in Elric!/Stormbringer 5th).

I want to play a 21st century person, trapped in a 'dreamworld' that happens to be the fantasy world he's actually in.

Kinda like Ash in Army of Darkness, except without a chainsaw and shotgun and not so dumb!

wartorn said:
andakitty said:
Considering what I've heard about the combat system, a warrior whose primary weapon is a spear...

lol - or a lightsabre.

Actually, I suspect the system (even though I have yet to know it) might probably be the best fit for Star Wars yet.

Archer said:
Actually, I suspect the system (even though I have yet to know it) might probably be the best fit for Star Wars yet.
Y'see, every time someone mentions using RQ for Star Wars, I'm baffled. I love Star Wars, I love RuneQuest, but I fail to see the connection.

RuneQuest is realistic in a gritty and brutal way. The new system will be fairly generic fantasy, with a focus on Gloranthan rules, but (probably) very suitbale for ancient/historical settings. And I'd be very surprised if there was anything like a lightsabre in it.

Star Wars is a cinematic, over-the-top space opera where the most powerful warriors are unarmoured sword-wielding mystics, while full-armoured stormtroopers can be dropped with one shot.

What did I miss? Enlighten me.

What you missed is the d20 version of the game, that makes no real concessions to 'cinematic' roleplay and is a fairly generic fantasy rules-set.

Hang on, actually, you didn't miss much.... :wink:

What you have missed, is that it is very easy to modify the BRP rulesset of RQ3/Stormbringer 5th ed etc. to suit the very heroic style of the Star Wars universe. And as such, it would be a much better fit than the old d6 or the new d20 versions.

Allow characters to use a Dodge skill to avoid blaster shots, allow jedi to parry them with their lightsaber, and create rules for the force, create guidelines on how to do heroic actions (such as jumping from a hovercraft to land on another) using the force, and you would have fast-paced, heroic, and very well suited system for Star Wars.
This compared to the slow play of using a dice pool (d6) or overcomplicated and rules-lawyer style system that totally misses to capture the essense of Star Wars or even make it possible to do what characters in the movie does (d20).

If it was not for the fact that I would have been overun, fined, and otherwise punished by both WoTC/WEG (when they owned it) or Lucas industries, I would have done a document for this a long time ago and made available on the web.
Unfortunately such a document can not even mention the words Star Wars, or you are in big trouble.

It probably ought to be noted that the new RQ combat system was stated as being modelled on Star Wars fight scenes, by Mongoose Matt. That is, there will lots of movement involved.

TrippyHippy said:
It probably ought to be noted that the new RQ combat system was stated as being modelled on Star Wars fight scenes, by Mongoose Matt. That is, there will lots of movement involved.
Yes, I know. I was on the infamous "early" playtest list.

I have seen several versions of his RQ combat rules, and I have no clue what Matt was talking about. They don't look any more "Star Wars-y" to me than any other ruleset I've seen.

Turloigh said:
TrippyHippy said:
Yes, I know. I was on the infamous "early" playtest list.

I have seen several versions of his RQ combat rules, and I have no clue what Matt was talking about. They don't look any more "Star Wars-y" to me than any other ruleset I've seen.

Well, to me, it is more about that the rules should leave things open, rather than restrict what you can do, how you can move, divide what you do into actions etc. If you avoid that, you can start having a cinematic system for combat etc.

Archer said:
What you have missed, is that it is very easy to modify the BRP rulesset of RQ3/Stormbringer 5th ed etc. to suit the very heroic style of the Star Wars universe.
Ah, Stormbringer! Now I'm beginning to understand what you mean.

So, Han Solo has 150% blaster and 120% dodge skill, and the average stormtrooper has 30%. If you allow blaster fire to be dodged (several times a round with a cumulative penalty) then I agree the result would be Star Wars-like.

I partly agree/disagree with your other points, but there's no need for further threadjacking. Thanks for the inspiration.

zozotroll said:
Back to the OP. Some sort of troll. HAve to see what available to be sure but most likely a dark troll.

As soon as I read that, I got the mental image of a dark troll bounty hunter. And for some reason, that seemed like a really scary character. Clad in fur and leather armour, a crossbow on the back, a large notched sword in hand, and hard look on his face.
Given an intressting background story, that could be an intressting character to play.

First character will be an initiate of Humakt, as we are in the middle of a Humakt campaign so new initiates are always handy.

As to Star Wars, I can see that, but a better game fit would be Shadowrun (nice idea and background and I absolutely hated the rules).

Saying that though, I always reckoned a good cinematic Star Wars could be done out of Pendragon, using the passions system etc.

Back