What sex is your avatar?

Wow, I totally didn't intend for that video I linked to cause a furious debate like this. I just linked it for the lols. :oops:

good going flatscan. i hope your happy now :p

the vid is funny and i do like the guild and legend of neil aswell. felicia day is quite a hottie.

ontopic:

ive seen just as many male characters being played by girls portrayed cartoonishly as i have seen female characters played by boys. i really dont see any weirdness at all about someone wanting to roleplay one of their characters as the opposite sex. one of my 'toons' on wow is a female undead mage simply because i hate the model for the male and my other two high level characters are male so i thought i would go for a little variety.

S4 wrote:

BTW, I'm going to France and Italy next month. You're in France, yes? If I was a little less civilized, I'd look you up, come by your shop, and just see what you would say to me, face to face.

Too bad it's not worth the vacation time to do that. It might have been interesting. If I do find it convenient to come by, I suspect you'll be a little more polite in person.

I can MP you my adress and phone number without any problem. I'll probably be more polite indeed as internet doesn't allow the subtility of spoken conversation, but I can still revert to the ways of my younger days, using bat and butt as arguments. I grew (a lot) older and (a bit) smarter but old bad habits can always come back easily. I let you judge if it's really worth it.

This is getting silly anyway. It's just the same thing than when we had words a few years back when you came on these forums: You do something wrong and out of place and just don't want to admit it. You just mellowed your arguments because you knew that Vincent's departure would such a great loss for these boards that nobody would have ever forgiven you.

Hervé said:
I can MP you my adress and phone number without any problem. I'll probably be more polite indeed as internet doesn't allow the subtility of spoken conversation, but I can still revert to the ways of my younger days, using bat and butt as arguments. I grew (a lot) older and (a bit) smarter but old bad habits can always come back easily. I let you judge if it's really worth it.

Big words... when you know there is little risk.

You just mellowed your arguments because you knew that Vincent's departure would such a great loss for these boards that nobody would have ever forgiven you.

That's not true, and you're speaking out your butt. You have no idea what you're talking about.

In fact, if you must be enlightened, I actually refused to change the post at first when Vincent asked me via PM. I have a "thing" about censorship. Pet peeve, if you will.

But, we threw a couple of PMs back and forth. And, I really do like the guy. So, I decided to do as he asked.

Had Vincent not been polite and sincere, I would have continued to refuse. He would have left (I didn't want him to leave, but that was up to him). And, if the "board" would have never forgiven me, then...so what? Who cares? Not me.

OK Sup4, I've been thinking about all this and it's probably got a bit too far.

It's only a game after all !

As I said in "the end of an age" post, I'm on the verge of starting a new life and I want to do it in a positive way. I promised I'll try ro be a better man on these boards so I propose we make a truce and that we wipe out past harsh words.

So I apologize for the rudeness of my posts in this thread.

If you effectively come to France, pay me a visit and I'll be your man, either for a good fight or a good beer.

It's up to you.

Love in a peaceful world
Hervé

MODERATOR WARNING

Let's all try to be a bit more civil and relaxed shall we. I don't want to have to decide whether or not to delete or lock this thread.

LBH

Hervé said:
So I apologize for the rudeness of my posts in this thread.

Fair enough. I've never been one to refuse a sincerly proffered olive branch.

Consider the matter forgotten.

If you effectively come to France, pay me a visit and I'll be your man, either for a good fight or a good beer.

It's up to you.

I don't drink, but I do prefer the beer to the fight. I like reading Conan, not being him. :shock: :shock:

Anyway, I will be in Paris--I need to check the exact date--around September 19 or 20.

Let's consider the matter settled then.

LBH, if you allow me, your intervention is a bit a late on this one and should have came some posts, even pages, before. Luckily we moderated ourselves before you came by. :wink:

Hervé said:
LBH, if you allow me, your intervention is a bit a late on this one and should have came some posts, even pages, before. Luckily we moderated ourselves before you came by. :wink:

Well there's only one of me, and a heck of a lot of forum space, even I can only keep an eye on so much at once.... 8)

LBH

I seriously debated responding to this post because of some of the previous posts.

But on topic, I don't see why it is a big deal for someone to play the other gender or play someone with a different sexual orientation etc. I mean the whole point of RPGing is typical to play what one is not in a world we do not live in and do things we normally can not and never get to do. So whats the big difference?

Dark Mistress said:
So whats the big difference?

Fair question, and others have asked the same.

It seems very strange, to me, to want to get into being a woman, if you are a man. I'm talking about thinking like one, acting like one, living in a woman's skin.

When a person role plays--he's playing a role. He's acting.

So, inhabiting a woman's persona seems much more alien to me than playing a male elf, or dwarf, or a Nemedian.

In 25+ years of roleplaying, I've never had a male player create a female character for any game. I have had some male players play female NPCs that they were given to play, and as a GM, I've, of course, played female NPCs for the group.

(BTW, if you are reading this, all that are reading this, think before you respond. Keep this discussion civil. Don't let it degernate in a flame fest. We just got out of one. So, watch your cracks about "how secure I am with my sexuality" and stuff like that. That's not what we're talking about here. Keep your posts on topic, and, for Crom's sake, keep your posts polite--especially if you want a response from me.)

my point about sexual orientation was that it is different minds set than someone who is straight as to someone that is gay or bi. Which was my whole point was when you play someone that is not you then you are adapting to a role other than yourself. Regardless if it is as simple as playing a fantasy knight. I mean if you are not one and never been one then you have to pretend to be someone your night and to do it well. you have to think about what it would be like for said PC growing up and living their life and what they face day in and day out that shapes who and what they are.

Granted that is easier than playing a different race weather it be a elf or space blob of which we have no reference for at all beyond fiction. I just fail to grasp how that is ultimently any different than playing a gender you are not. Regardless the character has lead a completely different life than you.

I'd say it should be easier to play an early C21 woman (assuming you are a man) than, say, a C11 Hungarian knight - assuming realism is your aim. there is a wealth of cultural difference that would be very difficult for most C21 folk, male or female, to bridge in the latter case. Whereas if you want to play a C21 woman, pick a female friend and cast your perception of her persona onto your character. it won't be perfect but it will be a damn sight more realistic than most interpretations of the knight in question (or indeed most attempts at putting oneself into the role of a character from a culture that has very different mores and values from today's). It is not impossible to do either, and there is in fact no reason to attempt perfect realism in either case. one just does one's best in either case.

People tend to do best at playing characters that they are happy with. I think if a player has a strong concept for a character the GM should be working with them to develop that character, regardless of player or character sex.

There are historical instances of cultures who castrated male prisoners taken in battle. Would a GM inflict that on a male PC in order to be 'realistic'? I think one could, in the right circumstances. But these would be very rare indeed. In general player consent works best for such things. Often if a player wants a character to have undergone a particularly nasty experience, he will work that into the backstory. I think one needs to know ones group very well before inflicting certain indignities upon a character without such prior consent.

We have gathered by now that it seems 'strange' to Supplement Four. That doesn't mean it is strange- just that it seems strange to him. I don't see what else there is to talk about here personally if you are going to express a different view he's still going to think it's strange.

The simple fact is that people like to play 'heroic' characters- men tend to see men as heroic while women find it easier to identify with heroic women. As has been stated earlier role playing is supposed to be about just that- role playing. Good role players sometimes enjoy the challenge of playing a character that is not so easy- whether that's the opposite sex, someone with a vastly different set of values or life experience. Most role players simply play a version of themselves and therefore there's not much roleplaying involved IMHO. Games benefit from both types of player.

Demetrio said:
I'd say it should be easier to play an early C21 woman (assuming you are a man) than, say, a C11 Hungarian knight - assuming realism is your aim.

Actually, a very interesting take on it, Demetrio.

There are historical instances of cultures who castrated male prisoners taken in battle. Would a GM inflict that on a male PC in order to be 'realistic'? I think one could, in the right circumstances.

Absolutely. I wouldn't go out of my way to do such an act just to do it, but if it had a story-related reason, I'd do it in a heartbeat with my group.

True story of a strange instance that happened several years ago while playing Traveller:

I had worked out a plot where the PC's were "special" with psionics. Inspired by Dune's Bene Gesserit, the PCs were being groomed by Grandfather (you'll only recognize that if you play Traveller) to be the next step in human evolution. As the game progressed, the PCs were drawn together, seemingly randomly, later realizing that all of them meeting may not have been as random as they had originally thought.

All the PCs started to become psionic, but unlike the standard Traveller psionics, this was different. Every memory of every person in their bloodline was contained in their DNA. As the player-characters became more and more psionic (a la Luke becoming a Jedi), they would have uncontrollable flashes of life in the skin of a distant dead relative.

From time to time, I'd have them dream, or day dream, or be hit with these "memories". They'd last just a moment in game time, but we'd spend quite a bit of real time exploring them.

It was the highlight of the campaign. My players were intrigued by it. At random times, I'd make up some interesting moments that happened to their relatives--things that would carry in their DNA down the line.

The episodes would seem like it really happened to them. They were like real memories, except clearer, more sharp.

Well, one time, a PC had an episode where he was a woman, way back on earth, during the time of the ancient Egypitians. It was hot, sandy. He was in a tent, lying on a slab. Turns out, he was a slave, and the slave was female. One of the Egyptian guards was having sex with her. Not rape. The slave was actually in love with this particular guard, and this guard seemed to feel something for the girl-slave, too.

It turns out, in the story, that the Egyptian guard was actually "enlightened", a tool used by Grandfather to start a line (Grandfather is far, far seeing).

This sex they were having wasn't just some random stuff I put into the game to make the male player feel "wierd" or keep the game interesting. It actually is tied specifically to the plot.

Because, at this very moment, is when Grandfather injected the new DNA into the family line of the player.

This was a very Dune-esque campaign. Strong science fiction. It probably stands out there as one of the most interesting rpg campaigns we've had (along with the Top Secret game where the players all played themselves in real life and I wove an espionage tale around the real players and their families).

But, that moment there, while the PC's ancestor was having sex with the Egyptian guard...it was a wierd night of gaming. I think I got into the players head and made him think about what it would be like to be a woman in that instance. It's not an instance that I think he particuallarly enjoyed (although I know he was loving the concept of the game).

How else to say it? It was strange.

But, it was a good game.

Back