What paint do you use and why?

Reaverman said:
Rob_alderman said:
I dont like pen on models, I consider it cheating (Im talking personally), I know a lot of people do it, I think thats fine, but personally, no.

as an artist you should encompass all mediums, most modern artists use pens, brushes etc, to get the desired results.

I'll admit, I would use it for very small details, but I have seen it done before, I preferred it painted. If I found a pen that came up I'd use it on minis. I use them in art, just not on minis. Would an inking pen work (the drawing kind, for inking pencil work)?

Rob_alderman said:
Reaverman said:
Rob_alderman said:
I dont like pen on models, I consider it cheating (Im talking personally), I know a lot of people do it, I think thats fine, but personally, no.

as an artist you should encompass all mediums, most modern artists use pens, brushes etc, to get the desired results.

I'll admit, I would use it for very small details, but I have seen it done before, I preferred it painted. If I found a pen that came up I'd use it on minis. I use them in art, just not on minis. Would an inking pen work (the drawing kind, for inking pencil work)?

Rob,

there are some flexible nibbed ink pens knocking about. Similar to a Gel pen, just finding them is the problem.

I'm waiting for delivery of my IWATA airbrush (due tomorrow), apparently with practice. It can draw lines as thin as 0.5mm, and they do a nozzle with 0.35mm. I'll let you guys know, once it arrives.

Reaverman said:
JoseDominguez said:
I ue the foundry paint system. It's superb,good results quickly and excellent coverage
Paint is really high in pigment.
Only downside is price..... £150 for the whole set. As each paint comes in base, shade and highlight. So no mixing.
Superb results though.

If its foundry, then you are using GW paints. But I like the idea of the shading :)

Nope, the paints may be from the same manufacturer, but foundry has a much higher pigment ratio. They aren't nearly as diluted. Also, the colour range is different.
So similar to GW, but a lot better. (I use both and my GW paints have been relegated to basing and airbrush).

I've got citadel paints that date back to the early 90's (and are older than all of the kids that attend our gaming nights) which are still in great shape, shame that some of the newer Games Workshop paints that I bought just 2 or 3 years ago (with the screw top lids) have gone completely solid!!

He doesn't.

He just means that he might want to eventually, and when he does he wants to have models and paint readily available.

Personally, I use Ceramcoat by Delta. These are artist's Acrylics in bottles witn an absolutely amazing array of colors. Somewhere in excess of 100 different colors

I always thin to the appropriate consistency for the paint job I am doing. This product comes in 2 Fl Oz bottles and larger, seals perfectly, lasts for years and blends perfectly together to make custom colors. I do not know the exact number of different cataloged colors but they have five or more metallic golds, many pearl colors plus a pearl base you can mix with other colors as pigment base.

In addition to everything else normal cost is approx $1.19 to $1.29 per 2 oz. btl and $0.89 on sale all USD. The bottles dispense pigment by the drop or any larger volume you care to squeeze out. The bottles are flexible plastic.

I have tried GW paints many times over the years and found all I have tried as seriously lacking in pigmentation and in maximum possible color intensity.

For inks I actually use several product lines of Calligraphy inks. For doing fine lines and details I use Koh-i-Noor Rapidograph Drafting pens as fine as 0.25mm. Some may regard it as cheating: I simply regard it as using artistic tool effectively. I can generate any color I wish too by appropriately thinning my favorite paint sufficiently to flow through these pens. I use an ultrasonic cleaner with simple green to clean pens and brushes of any paint build up. :D :D

Reaper Master Series. They too come with a base and two highlights like the Foundry system but are available as single triads or single bottles. There is currently 180 colors in the range including flow improvers, clear brights, etc. i also like using Wonder Wash and several of the Vallejo metallics and specialty colors like smoke and verdigris.

CudaHP said:
...Personally, I use Ceramcoat by Delta....

I just recently started painting and being eager to get some paint on my first mini's I went to a couple hobby/game stores to pick up some supplies. A meager paint assortment with most bottles over 3 bucks and clerks not that willing (or unable) to dispense information to a newbie drove me to to look in other places. I found a ton of paints in a dizzying array of colors and styles at a local craft store (Michaels). I bought several bottles of the Creamcoat along with some of the house brand as well to try those out (50 cents a bottle for those). I have no idea how they'll hold up and never used anything else so can't offer a comparison but the colors went on bright and easy, mixed well, and look fine even after I coated them with my sealer.

If any one has any comments on why I might want to try a name brand I'd like to hear them. I might not know what I'm missing.

If I notice my work starting to deteriorate I'll edit my post with follow up information.

Back