Humbrol Ennamels
Artists oils
Artists acrylics
Pen ink
Tamyia
Gw Paint & inks
Revel acrylics
Foundry paints

reasons range of colours fitness for the job and availability price is not an issue really as though I paint lots of figures the only colours I use in large quantities are the cheapest Tamiya Nato black £1.10 for 12ml Grey primer £3.10 for 125ml and Black and white enamel for the same price and quantity. I can get most of the above locally as required the foundry stuff requiring just a quick trip to Nottingham.

Foundry the way cheaper than Citadel as its 20ml for the same price as 12ml from GW

Have tried Vellejo but I find them too thin and there ability to cover is not as good as the other Acrylics so I don’t use them which is a pity as I could get them trade. The stupid dropper tops also annoy me

Simon

Sigh, I guess nobody reads my S&P ramblings, or they would say they've converted to cartoon paint. Just kidding :wink: . Seriously though, since someone showed me well over 20 years ago at a regional game convention what they were using on their minis, I've only used other paints sparingly. A minus is that the smallest bottles are 2 oz., but that is offset by some of my paints being still good 10 years later :shock:. If you consider Testors model hobby paint at like $1.19 for a 1/4 oz. bottle, that makes it over $9.50 if packaged in a 2 oz. container. Cel-Vinyl is maybe around $5.00 per 2 oz. bottle, but lasts over many projects. It's a vinyl acrylic copolymer and is water soluable. The choice of colors is a real strength in this paint, as there are over 700 colors and tints :shock: . Is that enough colors for you, you "wielders of hobby brushes?" If you ever find yourself in a proper "art" supply store (usually not one of hobby or games), you might ask if Cel-Vinyl is sold there and try some of it out. The colors are vibrant and light resistant, and besides they have a great heritage- Mickey Mouse and Wile E. Coyote! :wink:

BuShips said:
Sigh, I guess nobody reads my S&P ramblings, or they would say they've converted to cartoon paint. Just kidding :wink: . Seriously though, since someone showed me well over 20 years ago at a regional game convention what they were using on their minis, I've only used other paints sparingly. A minus is that the smallest bottles are 2 oz., but that is offset by some of my paints being still good 10 years later :shock:. If you consider Testors model hobby paint at like $1.19 for a 1/4 oz. bottle, that makes it over $9.50 if packaged in a 2 oz. container. Cel-Vinyl is maybe around $5.00 per 2 oz. bottle, but lasts over many projects. It's a vinyl acrylic copolymer and is water soluable. The choice of colors is a real strength in this paint, as there are over 700 colors and tints :shock: . Is that enough colors for you, you "wielders of hobby brushes?" If you ever find yourself in a proper "art" supply store (usually not one of hobby or games), you might ask if Cel-Vinyl is sold there and try some of it out. The colors are vibrant and light resistant, and besides they have a great heritage- Mickey Mouse and Wile E. Coyote! :wink:

Water or solvent based? Any links to manufacterers you can think of? I'm always looking for the 'ultimate paint'. :)

Sgt. Brassones said:
Water or solvent based? Any links to manufacterers you can think of? I'm always looking for the 'ultimate paint'. :)

Well, they're in your State, so that should help a bit :wink: . Water-based, easy cleanup (good for old-farts like us, heh).

Try a small order and if you like it, then get more. Here is a link:

http://www.cartooncolour.com/about.html

Because of all of the colors, it's great for drybrushing layers of similar tints. For example, they have 32 tints of gray (yep!, 32). Don't go wholehog, as even I only need less than 4 or 5 grays (but if I wanted it could be 32, right?). All colors dry flat, and are waterproof when dry. BTW, this is the same paint that the "good" window scenics painters use for seasonal window displays on business window glass. Because no cel-work is done on 'toons anymore (computers, remember?), these folks had to find new customers to survive. So hobbists and window painters are what sustain them now.

Back