What paint do you use and why?

anton970

Mongoose
I used to be a huge fan of the workshop range but I'm moving more & more towards vallejio game colour,

reasons why?

1. Price (surprise surprise)
2. better to paint with?
3. flow control much better than throwing your brush in a pot and wondering how much you'll get!!

Vallejo are basicly Gw paints just packaged differntly i use them aswell

i also use

foundry
rackham colour
Gw
Tamiya
and xracrylix

all for the qualtity colour choices and finish they give

I use Liquitex Acrylics, mainly because I paint on canvas and it's cheaper for me to use just one type for both projects. One tube of paint costs twice as much as a jar of GW paint but lasts 10 times as long if I add some medium to it.

Citadel, Vallejo, Cote D'arms, 'Miniature Paints' brush-on primers, a couple of Humbrol acrylics, and odds 'n' ends from old model kits.

I notice a few differences in quality and properties, but none that would make me abandon a certain range. Except liquitex. I tried a bottle of burnt umber, which gave terrible coverage (through not being a mini paint, I suspect), and dried glossy.
Price partly determines what I buy these days, which is the only issue I have with Citadel - especially since they brought in the new flip-tops and changed their manufacturer. At the risk of committing forum heresy: these are good paints! If only the price didn't jump higher every few months...
The size and choice of the available range also affects what I buy. Vallejo Model Colour is the clear winner there.

I might buy a pot or two of Rackham colour, to see how it handles. What's your opinion on it, Rodders?

anton970 said:
2. better to paint with?
As I said, I haven't noticed much difference. Vallejo's sometimes a little thicker out of the bottle, possibly from the extra pigment, or because it seperates, I dunno. But it all gets watered down anyway.

3. flow control much better than throwing your brush in a pot and wondering how much you'll get!!
Do you use a blindfold, too? Using a brush to transfer paint is a lot more accurate than squeezing a bottle, IMHO. And it's no fun trying to shake seperated medium out of those tiny nozzles.

I mostly use GW, but I use anything I think is good, Im willing to try anything. I have found GW, Vallejo, Foundry and Coat 'd Arms the best out of what I have tried. Foundry is good because you can buy highlight packs for one colour, E.g Black comes with, Black then about 5 shades of dark grey. Basically meaning no mixing for highlights are required. Only problem is the price for those packs.

Verm1s said:
I might buy a pot or two of Rackham colour, to see how it handles. What's your opinion on it, Rodders?

its quite thick compared to vallejo and citadel ( almost the consistancy of emulsion) but with a little water ( around 70/30 mix) it paints really well and dry brushes fantasticly and the colour range and deffinition is superb I will be buying more of this in the future

IMO if you buying paints the best place online to shop is

www.game-mart.co.uk

good prices and cheap p+p i bought 10 paints and paid £1 p+p

I use a mix of Antia paints, Miniature paints and Citadel paints, with Windsor & Newton inks for washes. Antia paints are very cheap and you get loads of paint in a pot, same with Miniature paints and both have a huge range of colours.

For airbrushing I use Tamiya paints, expensive but the best around for airbrushes.

Marc

i dont know where your getting your tamiya paints from dredd but in my lhs they are the cheapest £1 per pot

www.sbxmodelshop.co.uk

get them from this guy he's a top fella and does free p+p

Tamiya paints are only a £1 each but you dont get very much actual paint per pot, though once thinned down a pot will cover around 100 miniatures if your lucky.

Marc

I use a mix of GW paints and Rackham paints.

I use GW because thats what I have historically, cos I used to play 40k (sorry).

I use Rackham cos they're better quality that GW.

I personally think GW are better than Rackham. GW make miniature paints, the rackham ones seem too thick, the kind that is used for artwork. I would use rackham if I needed a pastel colour, or a flurorescent colour.

Personally I find the Walmart Applebarrel paint watered down just a tad is perfectly fine. and at 49cents a bottle you just cant beat it.

I use GW metallics and they also have some nice shades of gray. I hate the jars they come in.

Valejo for "military" colors and earth tones. They have some nice reds too. A large selection of colors to choose from. Make sure you shake the hell out of the bottle before using or the first few drops are almost pure water. The eyedropper bottle is very good.

Reaper for some of the primaries (and shades of primaries) and a couple of their metallics. They're very thick paints, always dilute with water.

And none of the above is more than 3 bucks a bottle (or jar) at my LGS.

stormrider888 said:
Personally I find the Walmart Applebarrel paint watered down just a tad is perfectly fine. and at 49cents a bottle you just cant beat it.

Thats really cheap!
Thats like 20p!
I have found bottles of 60mls worth of acrylic paint for 99p. I have loads of them for my GCSE art, as I cant use anything except acrylics that well. If I ever go to america or Germany, I know what Im buying!

I prefer Vellejo as I also do a lot of historicals and they just have the right colors. Their paint also goes on much better.

I also used GW(still have some left as once upon a time(like way back in the 20th century, I played their games)

I really Like the Reaper metallics and I also use some testors(the best guards red you will find)

Lets not forget Sharpie Ultra fine permanent Markers. They may not be paint but work well for doing lines and text on models.

I dont like pen on models, I consider it cheating (Im talking personally), I know a lot of people do it, I think thats fine, but personally, no.

Rob_alderman said:
I dont like pen on models, I consider it cheating (Im talking personally), I know a lot of people do it, I think thats fine, but personally, no.

as an artist you should encompass all mediums, most modern artists use pens, brushes etc, to get the desired results.

I ue the foundry paint system. It's superb,good results quickly and excellent coverage
Paint is really high in pigment.
Only downside is price..... £150 for the whole set. As each paint comes in base, shade and highlight. So no mixing.
Superb results though.

JoseDominguez said:
I ue the foundry paint system. It's superb,good results quickly and excellent coverage
Paint is really high in pigment.
Only downside is price..... £150 for the whole set. As each paint comes in base, shade and highlight. So no mixing.
Superb results though.

If its foundry, then you are using GW paints. But I like the idea of the shading :)

Back