What about the SRMs ?

atgxtg said:
Troubleshooter. It's my nature. I've finagled, shoehorned and mated more things into game systems than I can probably recall. Comes from running those non-mainstream RPGs that didn't have sourcebooks and "complete guides" on everything from arrows to lavatory paper.

Oooo, great idea! *gets to work on the RQ Lavatory Paper Encyclopedia*

So we'll give each brand a strength rating. If you roll over on a d6 your finger goes through and...

Okay, okay, moving on!

atgxtg said:
<OLD GAMER MODE ON>
<snip>
<OLD GAMER MODE OFF>

Mua ha ha ha!

Hey, I learned on Tunnels and Trolls. First thing I did after getting the D&D boxed sets was to extend T&T with about 60 pages of handwritten "advanced rules" :)

Rurik said:
Running around in the sewers and worshipping the devil were the best parts of gaming back in the day!

Other than, of course, the sacrifices.

I remember reading one of those religious min comics on D&D. You the tpye, about the size of a checkbook, black & white and biased as all....

Well the one of gaming was hysterical. The story has a evil woman GM (typical movie type Statanist. I.E. Megga hottie brunette with greater curves that the event horizon of a black hole) who would get the players interested and then kill of theeir characters so the players would get suicidal.

I remember looking out at the fat old guy who was our GM and saying, "Hey wait a minute. The book say's we're supposed to have a babe when we sell our souls. I wan't top dollar. Bring her on! What kind of rip off is this?" :lol:

mthomason said:
Oooo, great idea! *gets to work on the RQ Lavatory Paper Encyclopedia*

So we'll give each brand a strength rating. If you roll over on a d6 your finger goes through and...

Okay, okay, moving on!

And they say I use bad puns. Moving on.

* -----------------------------------------------------------------------------*

mthomason said:
Hey, I learned on Tunnels and Trolls. First thing I did after getting the D&D boxed sets was to extend T&T with about 60 pages of handwritten "advanced rules" :)

T&T the "beer & prezels" RPG. I still have a copy or two. You know the rules they added on with the version used in MS&PE is practically a legitmate game system. Sort of like they mated T&T with TFT.

Wow, guess you gotta know gamespeak to understand that paragraph. :)

atgxtg said:
I remember reading one of those religious min comics on D&D. You the tpye, about the size of a checkbook, black & white and biased as all....

Chick Tracs. By Jack Chick.

"Dark Dungeons" is the one you're referring to.

"NO! Don't kill Blackleaf!"

"You've reached 7th level. It's time you learned the REAL magic."

Heh.

iamtim said:
atgxtg said:

Chick Tracs. By Jack Chick.

"Dark Dungeons" is the one you're referring to.

"NO! Don't kill Blackleaf!"

"You've reached 7th level. It's time you learned the REAL magic."

Heh.

I collected a few of those in the day but never had that one.

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.asp

Fortunately it looks like RQ is O.K.

I used to have one that had a picture of Mary kneeling against a black background, and a stream of white light coming down from above and splashing all around her with the quote:

...the lord came upon Mary and she conceived...

It was very easy to take as something that should, well, come in a plain wrapper if you know what I mean. It used to send everyone I showed it to into hysterics.

Classic stuff. It's good to see Jack Chick is still at it (I think).

List of possible responses to this one. :)

(no offence intended to anyone, btw, this is just for fun. No, really it is :) )

<Neg> Because they didn't check or playtest it properly.
<Whiner> Yeah, Mongoose, why didn't you? I demand a fix for this and I want it in the PDF now. In fact no, I want the whole book reprinted.
<Stirrer> I'll go start a poll on whether this should be in or not.
<Fanboy> Because they realised the idea sucked and dropped it, now shut up and like it the way it is!
<Neutral Poster> You could always house rule it if you wanted, then those that don't want the complexity don't have to have it.
<Mongoose Rep> We actually dropped this to keep the basic rules simple, but we'll be putting an alternative with SR modifiers in the next issue of S&P!
<Third-party Publisher> We'll be adding this in our new product, available from http:....
<Atgxtg> Here's my modified table that fixes it.[/quote]
This is freaking brilliant, do you realize you could just add this to almost any thread and no one need to post any further !!!! :D

iamtim said:
Rurik said:
http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.asp

YUP! That's it.

"You mean you're going to teach me how to have the real power?"

Hahaahahahahahaah!

LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's the one!

"You have been trapped in a dungeoun of bondage." :roll: :lol:

Oh, it's killing me. It's funnier now than it was when I first read it upteem years ago.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And why does the minister look like someeone forgot to draw the horns a the goatee?

And how does Debbie "fight the zombie" while the DM is on the phone? ("Wow! Fourth consequtive critical! Not you'r lucky day is it, Mr. Zombiel!")

mthomason said:
...<editied for space>...

[/qoute]

haargald said:
This is freaking brilliant, do you realize you could just add this to almost any thread and no one need to post any further !!!! :D

Unifed Post Theory??

Interestly enough it works for any topic- not just gaming related. Sort of like a MAD LIB but funnier. Just plug in any topic from world peace to erectile dsynfunction. :)

Elandyll said:
Just seems weird to me that a 2H sword or Halberd can be wiffed around at the same speed than a dagger, that is all :)

Here is a simple "house rule" for you... (Oh My Gods! I am a Neutral! Oh well... I guess it isn't that important. :wink: ): large weapons require an action to "reset" them... duiring this time they can not be used for anything, if you do they are still not set. So, if you parry with your halberd it can not be used for attacks for one action... if you do it is still not set. It sucks as a rule, but it is a fix. :roll:

Lorgryt said:
Here is a simple "house rule" for you... (Oh My Gods! I am a Neutral! Oh well... I guess it isn't that important. :wink: ): large weapons require an action to "reset" them... duiring this time they can not be used for anything, if you do they are still not set. So, if you parry with your halberd it can not be used for attacks for one action... if you do it is still not set. It sucks as a rule, but it is a fix. :roll:

That actually works pretty well for me - it's nice and simple, and imposes some kind of penalty on the larger weapons.

"Hang on, I'm still swinging my greatsword in an arc, it's a bit difficult to stop it once it gets going... ah, there we go, swinging back the other way now... look can you please stop hitting me between swings???"

mthomason said:
Lorgryt said:

That actually works pretty well for me - it's nice and simple, and imposes some kind of penalty on the larger weapons.

"Hang on, I'm still swinging my greatsword in an arc, it's a bit difficult to stop it once it gets going... ah, there we go, swinging back the other way now... look can you please stop hitting me between swings???"

GURPS?

THe only thing in that you don't actually swing a greatsword back and forth. I've seen some stuff on how those swrods were supposed to be used, and they tened to try to kepp all that momentum by turning the weapon on it's balde and swinging the pmmel into the action. It is a lot more like a quartstafff or twirling a baton that like a baseball bat.

It one reason why the weapons were blunt at least part way of the blade, and why the wielders wore chain gloves.

atgxtg said:

My imagination mostly. I never really played GURPS all that much, by the time I'd gotten enough rulebooks to play the setting I wanted I found I needed so many of them all open at once that there wasn't any room left around the table for the players.

atgxtg said:
THe only thing in that you don't actually swing a greatsword back and forth. I've seen some stuff on how those swrods were supposed to be used, and they tened to try to kepp all that momentum by turning the weapon on it's balde and swinging the pmmel into the action. It is a lot more like a quartstafff or twirling a baton that like a baseball bat.

It one reason why the weapons were blunt at least part way of the blade, and why the wielders wore chain gloves.

Wow, so thats where I've been going wrong all this time :p

That does make a lot of sense, though, now I get a mental picture of it in my head.

mthomason said:
atgxtg said:

My imagination mostly. I never really played GURPS all that much, by the time I'd gotten enough rulebooks to play the setting I wanted I found I needed so many of them all open at once that there wasn't any room left around the table for the players. [./quote]

I was reffering to Lorgryt's houseruling for resetting heavy weapons. THat is exactly how they work in GURPS. Pretty much all axes have the problem, with all their weight concentrated at the end. THey also do better damage too, so it is a trade off of speed for power.

atgxtg said:

Wow, so thats where I've been going wrong all this time :p

That does make a lot of sense, though, now I get a mental picture of it in my head.

I'll see if I can find a link I had to a greatsword maneuvual. Bascially it is a translation of a meieval text, with illustrations. The history channel used this a few years back for one of their specials. It was really something to see how quickly the hands shifted and the pommel became the business end and the swtiched back.

It is that wide grip, with one hand up past the first set of quillions than really add all the leverage and power to the blade. Instead of the fulcrum of the swing being down at the wrist, it was up by the second arm, a couple of feet up the blade.

THey alos used to thrust with these things. Even one with a blunt tip (and greatswords often were blunt, since they were supposed to smash through armor with force rather than try to cut through metal) can inflict a considerable thrust.

That forward-grip is also why many were leather wrapped, had a set of "false quillions", and the quillions and pommel were balls or circles...

You're not going to rip your arm open with the quillions nor pommel if their rounded... bar-stock, however, can do some nasty damage! (most of my fencing injuries have been from quillions...)

Most weapons probably should do about 1d4 for pommel &/or quillion strikes.

atgxtg said:
Note that with this method a guy with a shortsword would need to have phenomenal DEX and SIZ to stand much of a chance of beating the pikeman to the first strike.

but what happens when the "guy with the shortsword" lands a strike or somehow manages to get past the pike. Wouldn't he have an advantage then?

For every lenght category the pike is longer than the shortsword I give the PC or NPC a + 5% bonus, but when the shortword manages to strike the bonus is at the shortsword, because it's harde to hit for the pikeman.

Back