Weapon Initiative Mod

rgrove0172

Mongoose
Windman just posted the most excellant idea at the end of the Two Handed Weapon post - seeing as that post has become a real monster, I thought Id pick up on his idea here. It seems to have some real merit. It addresses some of the problems brought up, is simple to introduce and seems logical in the resolution. Comments?

but what about introducing (you might say re-introducing if you played ad&d 2nd ed) a simple weapons speed rule to give smaller weapons an edge. Nothing too complex. Say all one handed weapons get a +1 to initiative, light weapons +2. Any finessable weapons get an additional +1 (including two-handed war sword) which would make light weapons effectively +3. If dual weilding only the modifier for the larges/slowest weapon is used.

Doesn't that imply that greatswords are giant, ponderous implements?
The concensus amoung fencers and sword historians seems to be that swords of that calibre were no where near as heavy as later popular conception would have. I may consider applying this to truly awkward polearms like bardiches and the like.

i'm no expert on swordplay, though i must admit i rewatched braveheart the other day, and wallace's enourmous sword was thinner, and seemed lighter than usually imagine a greatsword.

even still, i think it would take a little more time simpy to raise, a longer two-handed weapon, and you would need a bigger backswing to use it, i think that a one point initiaitve bonus to a broadsword in comparison harldy implies the greatsword is "ponderous" - just a tad slower to swing.

a dagger seeds obviousely faster, you can stab straigh ahead with great speed. I suppose that if you rule polarms are particulaly slow, more than greatswords, they could recive a -1 init penalty, but i liked the simple progression i came up with.

Are there any medieval clubers or other weapon experts who can comment?

I honestly think it's a very bad idea. It may sound good in theory, but is terrible in practice. I tried to voice why I think so in this old thread.

Basically, this is letting the action you want to take affect when you will take it, which will give you a lot of headaches in d20 combat. An example to show what I mean:

Mr Greatsword and Mr Dagger are standing 30' apart and have just decided that blood needs to be spilled. They roll initiative, Mr Greatsword getting an 11 and Mr Dagger a 10. By the RAW, Mr Greatsword could now move up to Mr Dagger and lop off his head. If you let Mr Dagger get a +3 initiative modifier because of his light weapon, he could instead run up and stab Mr Greatsword in the heart. That would be fine, if that is what he chooses to do. But what happens if he instead wants to just run away (might not be a bad idea in this situation :wink: )? Well, then you have two choices:

1.) You let the initiative modifier from the dagger apply to all actions that Mr Dagger wants to take. This means that, simply because he is holding a dagger in his hand, Mr Dagger will be able to run away before Mr Greatsword is able to act. If he was holding a heavier weapon, Mr Greatsword would have his head, even if Mr Dagger just wanted to drop his weapon and run. This is, IMHO, very, very strange.

2.) You let the initiative modifier from the dagger apply only to actions where the dagger is actually used. This gives you a situation where Mr Dagger goes first if he chooses to attack with his dagger, but last if he wants to run away. His smartest move might actually be to throw his dagger (so he goes first), and then move away, which is basically just trying to cheat the system. This really complicates the initiative system (I would even say that it breaks it).
Also, imagine the horror of two dual-wielders facing off with broadsword and dagger:
"I cleave you with my sword!"
"Ha, no you don't, cause I stab you first with my dagger!"
"Aha! In that case I stab you first with my dagger!"

ah ha. that is well-critiqued Trodax.

It seemed so simple :( , but I see how akward it could be in round based comat. It's a shame, I feel, because in the real world I think lighter weapons are faster to weiled and quicker to strike. Perhaps it is just a limitation of the rules that this cannot be refelcted in game play.

Maybe a bonus to dodge defence vs. lager weapons ... but this may get too complicated or unballancing.

windman said:
ah ha. that is well-critiqued Trodax.

It seemed so simple :( , but I see how akward it could be in round based comat. It's a shame, I feel, because in the real world I think lighter weapons are faster to weiled and quicker to strike. Perhaps it is just a limitation of the rules that this cannot be refelcted in game play.

Howabout: Apply initiave modifier only when making an ATTACK with the weapon?

That way no "I run away and get bonus" or "I'll throw weapon to ground and run to get the bonus" issues.

tneva82 said:
Howabout: Apply initiave modifier only when making an ATTACK with the weapon?

That way no "I run away and get bonus" or "I'll throw weapon to ground and run to get the bonus" issues.
But that gives you situation #2 in my post above. A guy armed with a dagger (+3) and an arming sword (+2) and who rolled a 10 for his initiative would act at different times depending on what he wanted to do:
13: attack with the dagger.
12: attack with the sword.
10: do anything else (run away).

This really makes the intiative system a lot more complex.

Trodax said:
But that gives you situation #2 in my post above. A guy armed with a dagger (+3) and an arming sword (+2) and who rolled a 10 for his initiative would act at different times depending on what he wanted to do:

So players would have to decide wether they want to attack with dagger with high initiave modifier or with their big sword with lower initiave modifier.

Choises are never bad idea in my books.

You're missin Trodax' point, the problem is what happens if the player does not use ANY weapon.

I really can't put it better than this:
This gives you a situation where Mr Dagger goes first if he chooses to attack with his dagger, but last if he wants to run away. His smartest move might actually be to throw his dagger (so he goes first), and then move away, which is basically just trying to cheat the system.

Weapon Speeds were abolished for a reason, or maybe for several reasons. While it's true that a Greatsword (which in reality may weigh about 4 lbs) is somewhat more cumbersome and definitely slower than a broadsword (2 lbs), it's simply not practical to reflect this in the game without making it a whole lot more complicated.

Also, if you strive to introduce weapon speeds, you should also take weapon length into account. In D20, anything from dagger to greatsword gives you 5ft reach. In reality, if Mr Dagger charged at Mr Greatsword, the latter would simply have to stick out his greatsword and let Mr Dagger run straight into it.
In other words, with light weapons you should get some penalty when going against two-handed weapons, concerning both Parry (try to parry a bardiche with a dagger, it's a really bad idea) and attack (you first have to displace the longer weapon in order to even get to your opponent).

Is it really worth the trouble? If you want to have all that, why not play RuleMonster instead?

Clovenhoof said:
You're missin Trodax' point, the problem is what happens if the player does not use ANY weapon.

I really can't put it better than this:
This gives you a situation where Mr Dagger goes first if he chooses to attack with his dagger, but last if he wants to run away. His smartest move might actually be to throw his dagger (so he goes first), and then move away, which is basically just trying to cheat the system.

Well. Since in my proposal he wouldn't get any bonus for simply throwing up dagger and running what's the problem? No cheating the system there...

I don't quite understand how you would handle that, rules-wise. Throwing a dagger IS an attack. What would keep him from claiming his high-initiative attack, then ATTACK by throwing a dagger, and proceed to run away with his standard movement?
Makes quite a difference, if without the Ini modifier he'd go after an opponent who could chop him up before he could take to his heels.

If your goign to add weapon speeds the ebst bet is to make weapons have a penalty as opposed to a bonus. That way a person swinging a greatsword isn't faster in reaction to the unarmed person.

Personally though I'm not a fan of weapon speeds. While it can work I think it hurts the abstract nature of the system.

Clovenhoof said:
I don't quite understand how you would handle that, rules-wise. Throwing a dagger IS an attack. What would keep him from claiming his high-initiative attack, then ATTACK by throwing a dagger, and proceed to run away with his standard movement?

Howabout: Initiave modifier is only applied when making MELEE attack. Not throwing/shooting with bow/whatever. Just good old slash with your weapon.

Simple and fixes this cheating of system.

tneva82 said:
Clovenhoof said:

Howabout: Initiave modifier is only applied when making MELEE attack. Not throwing/shooting with bow/whatever. Just good old slash with your weapon.

Simple and fixes this cheating of system.

Except someone witha w eapon is still faster than someone without a weapon. A guy swinging a two handed weapon by your weapon speed mods could go before a guy just trying to run if the both rolled the same thing on the init die. Why would the person with the weapon have the ability to move faster or act faster than the guy with out a weapon?

Before you start getting all hot and bothered about reintroducing weapon speed to the game, you really ought to read this:

http://www.seankreynolds.com/rpgfiles/rants/weaponspeeds.html

Initiative has nothing to do with Speed.

Initiatice is the "who goes first?" coin toss at the start of a sporting event, but it has been extrapolated to include more than two opponents and tied to character stats.

In the link posted above, an argument is made that if INIT bonuses and penalties are included, it doesn't make weapons faster because characters don't get more attacks. These are two totally separate concepts and, moreover, attacks in D20 don't represent individual swings of a weapon at someone. An attack roll encompasses many swings, of which some may have rendered damage. INIT only announces in what order each combatant gets to participate in the combat and in no way is it trying to simulate or add to the number of attacks.

More simply, the "Faster?" argument is based on a false assumption that INIT mods are meant to make weapons faster. On the contrary, it simulates a lighter or heavier load allowing for freedom of movement overall.

Also, the idea of combat order is dumb in and of itself, and only exists as a means of keeping things straight anyway. Coming up with "weapon speed factors" (which is what we old-school Gygaxian D&Ders remember) to adjust INIT in D20 is just to have weapon construction have a bearing on that order, even though Character A may have an INIT +8 and rolls a 3 for his INIT, but character B has an INIT +2 but rolls a 10, beating the "faster" or "quicker" Character A anyway, even without bringing "weapon speed" into it.

That point above speaks to the concern that getting a good INIT with dagger will "carry over" into other types of actions that combat.

So what?

If I'm armed with a Greatsword and start off a combat going first with no INIT mods from any sort of weapon speed I can still choose to run away first. I can do the same with the "thrown dagger" scenario. If one cant react more fluidly and quickly with some certain type of weapon, it ceratinly doesn't have any bearing on reaction time (INIT) in D20 now, so I could climb a ladder, cast a spell, tie a knot, or make a search check solely based on my INIT count based on the rules as written. I don't need weapon speed to make that seem weird, so to use that as an argument against a weapon speed rule is falacious too.

What's been suggested is that some weapons are easier to ready and/or move around with, in and out of combat, and so should probably impact INIT. However, this impact would have little true impact on the game as a whole (if the system is simple and universal) because the weapon weilded already has no bearing on who goes first and, m ore importantly, what actions they may want to take that combat with or without thier weapon of choice.

In the other thread, which I'd begun with the exact same concerns under which this one got started I imagine, I came to this simple conclusion.

• Two-handed simple weapons will strike last in a given initiative count if there is a tie.
  • Two-handed martial weapons are at -2 Initiative.
  • Two-handed exotic weapons are at -4 Initiative.
  • Two-handed Akbitanan weapons only suffer a -2 penalty for two-handed exotic weapons.

Since bows require two hands to use, they also suffer the Initiatve penalties above, but this can be mitigated if the archer is able to ambush or otherwise have his bow ready for firing prior to the start of combat.

This way, Improved Initiative negates the exotic penalty, netting zero. That's also a typical bonus/penalty progression.

I'd also advocate the following co-opted from the Stargate SG-1 rules:

Aiming:
For each round spent aiming a projectile weapon, the weilder gains a +2 Initiative count modifier the round he does so. This bonus can be regained in subsequent rounds and requires a Move Action or equivalent (due to a feat allowing a move action as a free action, for example).

I'd initially toyed with this:
  • [*]Weapon speed = STR mod - (Weapon AP value)
    [*]Initiative - Weapon Speed = Effective Inititive bonus

...but the point was raised that the first equation needed to be Speed=(AP-STR mod) (duh!), but this still didn't satisfy that lighter weapons should have better INIT, which is the point of weapon speed rules.

I still feel that STR should probably play a factor, but just applying a -2 or -4 based on the weapon classification seems the simplest and least intrusive. It helps break INIT ties based on weapon type, and in that light in makes good sense to me. :wink:

Clovenhoof said:
Also, if you strive to introduce weapon speeds, you should also take weapon length into account.

Exactly. Lighter, smaller weapons might be a touch quicker to wield, but that is readily countered by having to deal with the greater length of your foe's bigger weapon. It balances out well enough for game mechanics purposes to just not worry with either.

I don't think it's necessary just because of the Reach rules that afford more Attacks of Opportunity at further distances.

Plus there's no real good size value given to anything, but if you wanted arbitrary bonuses in the initial round of a combat because a spear or pike is long and therefore gets the point out ahead of the rest of the combattants (lol) I suppose you might have a case. However, getting inside weapon reach is a basic tactic of the smaller hand weapon fighter. You use a shorter sword or dagger and get within the effective fighting range of the spearman or pikeman and then you get better attack opportunities than he does.

I also don't think weapon length is that important (not a rude joke) other than in terms of having that AOO reach. Remember, you also have to consider that the longer weapons are also bulkier and sometimes heavier, so they shouldn't be as easy to ready, thus gaining no INIT bonus.

I agree with most of the arguments against weapon speed (the Sean K Renyolds rant is a classic). Simply put, d20 combat has a certain level of abstraction built in and weapon speed falls below that level of resolutioun (also see "What Are Hit Points?" and "What Direction Am I Facing in Combat?")

However I will pick a few specific bones...

Sutek said:
I don't think it's necessary just because of the Reach rules that afford more Attacks of Opportunity at further distances.
But you are missing the point that both a dagger and a greatsword have 5-foot reach. This is another abstraction of the d20 system, the issue of reach is broken into extremes (everything from dagger to greatsword lumped into one group, and all reach weapons lumped into the other).

However if you want to note a distinction in "speed" between dagger and greatsword then it is only fair (and logical) to note the equally obvious difference in reach. And in that case why not say "the speed advantage balances the reach advantage" and call it quits?

I also don't think weapon length is that important (not a rude joke) other than in terms of having that AOO reach. Remember, you also have to consider that the longer weapons are also bulkier and sometimes heavier, so they shouldn't be as easy to ready, thus gaining no INIT bonus.
:shock:

IMX just about anybody with any kind of martial experience at all thinks that reach is a huge deal. You can't deny that the ability to hit the other guy at a longer distance than he can hit you is a natural advantage, even if it is possible for a skilled fighter to negate that advantage or even turn it against his opponent.

But once again... this level of detail is a headache to design game mechanics around and pain in the ass to GM on game day. And d20, which was deliberately designed to handle abstract combat, does not do well in this area. If this kind of combat really is your zen (and for some folks it is) then by all means, I encourage you to find one of many systems better suited to handle this sort of thing.

Later.

Back