VINCENT and Return to the Road of Kings....

Just got my copy of Return to the Road of Kings. GREAT WORK.

I have glanced over it...

It seems there is a new gallery of information on the lands, at least for those who do not own the pre-released 1st edition country books. I love the layout also.

The book claims it has a host of information and rules for 2nd edition, and just glancing, I do not see too many of them. At least the Description on FRPGames says it does.

Also, I noticed alot of the monsters from the first Road of Kings were taken out.

Luckily, I have the original, so it is not a problem for me.

Is it me, or did the map of Hyboria change? It looks different not only in layout but in geography...

I do wish there was a pull out map, but I have one in the DM Screen, which is still good for me. The new one is dark in areas, but it still viewable.
Over all, NICE WORK as normal...

Thanks. Yes, the map has changed. They morphed my map (based on Dale Rippke's research) with the old map. My map can be found here under World Maps: http://hyboria.xoth.net/maps/

There are really no 2nd Edition rules. They weren't available when I wrote the book. There are some new spells (like the one on page 46, for example), and a few optional rules.

I am presuming (but am not sure) that any missing monsters will appear in the upcoming bestiary. Some of the monsters are there, though - such as the Half-Men of Eridu and the Yemli (pages 64-65) and the Remora (page 81), just not the NPCs.

Let me know what you think of the new material when you have read more of it.

Thanks for replying. Like I said, GREAT JOB!!! It was what I expected from you.

In all, I love it, I mean I bought it, and I am POOR...

What is not in that one, is in the original, which I am glad I got. Together, they make a kick Ass road of Kings.

Some of the lands were greatly expanded on, even to the point of being able to play in them...

As I said in past posts, my intent with the Return to the Road of Kings was to satisfy those with the original in hand, as well as those without it. I am really happy to hear it worked out that way with you.

Just to ask one last time: Is there an overlap of content between RttRoK and the 1E RoK? If so, how much? Due to binding issues I probably won't buy the HC, but perhaps a PDF if/when it comes out.

Thanks in advance.

Of course there is some overlap - the books cover the same topics - but both books have unique material. The first has a much stronger Howard-pure emphasis, while the latter contains more extrapolation. I wrote them to complement each other.

My hope is that the Conan collector will be proud to have both on his shelf.

I agree, the books overlap, but the second one has more content.

The binding is great, by the way...

I do not remember the Amazon being covered in the Road of Kings, but it is in the 2nd Edition one.

Binding seems OK.
Cover bended outward. That sucks.
B/W doesn't look so good.
Maps (or lack of) are really a shame. (that's the worst!)
Text rocks! It complements neatly the first volume. There is some overlaping stuff, and stuff you'll find only in 1st Ed, but also lots of stuff you'll only find in 2nd Ed.

If you're a Conan fan, you'll go for it anyway. If you're not, 1st ed might be enough. If you don't own any version, this one is probably the best, being more complete. Road of Kings is the most invaluable Conan ressource around, so any Conan GM should get it.

John Pare' said:
I do not remember the Amazon being covered in the Road of Kings, but it is in the 2nd Edition one.

On Page 81 of the original you will find one paragraph on Amazon. I think you will find I fleshed it out quite a bit for the Return (about 10 pages worth of fleshing out, including two monsters, although I cut out some spells for Amazonian sorceresses in hopes of someday landing the job of doing a Black Kingdoms sourcebook).

Back