Venture Class Frontier Courier PDF

rust

Mongoose
I just downloaded the Venture Class Frontier Courier for MGT (D.B. Game-
design, PDF, 12 pages, 4,- USD) from Drivethru RPG.

From my first look at it, it seems to be a very good ship description with
nice deckplans, and I think this type of ship could become quite useful
for my setting, especially because it is somewhat bigger than the clas-
sical Type S and also somewhat less austere.

Yep, I really like it. :D

(... and with a hyperdrive it will have even more useful space. :wink: )

And even though I am in no way related to it, I shall post a linky to it:
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=57894&src=FrontPage

Looks interesting (and looks like it's done under the TLL, if that's a Traveller Approved Product logo I see on the cover).

By David Blalock and Arthur Pollard... hm, could that be atpollard?

Feel free to stick up an announcement for it on the SFRPG forum, we've got a board just for that sort of thing.

My quick review:

It's a 12 page 3.1MB PDF, of which 8 pages are actual content, two pages are front and back cover, and 2 pages are "legal mumbo jumbo".

Graphics: The deckplans and various views of the ship look really nice. What were those made with? I'm a little perplexed about one thing though - the upper deck shows the cylindrical engineering modules on the rear sides of the ship, but the lower deck plans seem to imply that the engineering modules are only present on the upper deck level. But when you look at the 3D plan views of the ship, you can see the engineering modules are centred in the middle of the vertical axis of the ship, and span both upper and lower deck levels. Or am I misinterpreting something here?

Another thing that had me scratching my head a bit was the fuel purifier, or more precisely the cargo hold. Wouldn't it have been a more sensible design to put the fuel right next to the engineering modules (and the fuel purifier) and the cargo holds at the front of the ship? Instead you need to run pipes from the fuel tanks through the cargo hold area to the fuel purifier, which sounds like a recipe for disaster...

I liked the idea of the 'open' garden and pool at the front of the ship though - very cute :). Sounds like quite a comfy ride really!

Text: Layout is very good. The first two pages are a detailed overview of the ship, including quirks and idiosyncracies. It's generally readable but I think it does need an edit - I found the writing style to be a little too 'chatty', and there are quite a few extra/misplaced/missing commas and apostrophes and plurals. The lower deck plan mentions a "dinning area" too. The editing errors are noticeable, but don't render it unreadable.

It sounds a bit weird to me to have two lasers and a sandcaster on the same triple turret. I guess it works since sandcasters launch barrels of sand, but I'd imagine that you don't want to be firing all three weapons at once since it'd be a bit pointless to fire the lasers in the same direction as the cloud of sand that popped out from the barrel that the sandcaster just fired.

The deck plan explanations are good. The manoeuvre drive explanation goes a little overboard on the technobabble for my tastes though (it's very "super" apparently!). It actually sounds like a fusion torch drive (not unlike TNE's HEPlaR), which turns into something more like an H2/O2 chemical rocket near the ground (which to be honest isn't really something you actually want firing off near the ground either).

Although it's described as a reaction drive, in game terms it's described as a normal reactionless M-drive-2 - there's no mention of it using up extra hydrogen fuel in the stat block (and from the descriptoin, one would think that it should use up extra fuel).

Stat block: I haven't checked this because I'm not that familiar with MGT's design system, so I'll have to take the authors' word for it that the stats all make sense. Stats are only presented in MGT format. I thought the size comparison with the space shuttle was cute :).

Adventure seeds: Three adventure seeds are given - they're pretty decent, though I'm not really sure how well the ship would serve as a mercenary transport in the second seed given it's only got six staterooms and a lot of space taken up by 'luxuries'.

One more oddity is that the legal stuff at the front mentions that "the new components and there (sic) descriptions found on p12" are Open content... but there isn't a page 12 (page 12 is the back cover) and there aren't any new components described anywhere else.

Overall: It probably sounds like I'm being over-critical, but that's what comes out of being able to spend a lot of time analysing a short product. But I actually quite like this - I think it's well worth the $4 (oddly enough the back cover says that it should be priced a $5, but DTRPG is selling it for $4). Yes, the editing isn't 100% but then what is nowadays... it's still perfectly readable. I can't say whether or not the design oddities I pointed out are problems (I'll let the authors answer that), but they had me wondering anyway. But despite those it's still a very well put together product that can be slotted into pretty much any game, and hopefully these guys will make more.

I'd give it two thumbs up (actually it's not perfect, but I don't want to cut off any knuckles!), or more accurately I'd give it a 4/5. Good first effort, methinks! :)

EDG said:
I'm a little perplexed about one thing though - the upper deck shows the cylindrical engineering modules on the rear sides of the ship, but the lower deck plans seem to imply that the engineering modules are only present on the upper deck level. But when you look at the 3D plan views of the ship, you can see the engineering modules are centred in the middle of the vertical axis of the ship, and span both upper and lower deck levels. Or am I misinterpreting something here?
The engineering is centered between the two decks (deck 1.5, I guess) but is only accessed from the upper (crew) deck, so it made more sense to show it there. Engineering is shown with a dashed line on the lower deck plan to illustrate that, when landed, you can walk under it (some ducking is required).

Another thing that had me scratching my head a bit was the fuel purifier, or more precisely the cargo hold. Wouldn't it have been a more sensible design to put the fuel right next to the engineering modules (and the fuel purifier) and the cargo holds at the front of the ship? Instead you need to run pipes from the fuel tanks through the cargo hold area to the fuel purifier, which sounds like a recipe for disaster...
What is probably not readily obvious is that each of the major components (2 eng modules, 2 cargo/fuel modules, 1 passenger/crew module) are actually 'hung' from an eternal structural truss (the darker areas on the elevation and the thickness between the components on the plan).

To optimize the practical aspects of Cargo Handling, the fuel was located in the narrower and more curved front of the module creating the maximum headroom clearance in the cargo bay and to more easily accommodate containers and the cargo ramp. The fuel lines are run inside the structural framework for the ship, minimizing the risk of damage, but creating a maintenance/repair pain. It was a 'lesser of evils' design decision.

EDG said:
Ok, cool. It's no biggie, just had me wondering is all. :)
Got anything else planned?

Actually, I appreciated the effort you made in actually commenting on specific items. (In my regular job, we take questions very seriously - it tells us where we need to look at our communication.) I wanted to answer those questions that I could.

We're working on an 800 ton military ship next.

EDG said:
And also what did happen to the "new components" that I couldn't locate in the book?

At the risk of being too honest, you are one up on me ... I have not actually seen the final product, just recent drafts. :)

I suspect that they were dropped with a less standard alternate that is also reflected in the $4 vs. $5 price and the page count reduction. I'm just guessing.

The first ship of the Venture Class, named AVALON ARGO, has already
arrived in my setting. :D

It is a small long range research vessel, bought by the Avalon Society
foundation for the exploration of the unknown parts of the Basilisk Clus-
ter.
Since my setting uses hyperdrive technology, and those hyperdrives
use much less fuel, the fuel tanks on the lower deck have been repla-
ced with various modules.
One configuration has a sensor module on one side and a planetology
lab on the other side, another configuration has a dolphin basin on one
side and a marine biology lab on the other side.
Since the basic design has a certain touch of luxury, it seems perfect
for a group of scientist-explorers sponsored by a wealthy foundation
on long missions in unknown space.
And it needs only an exchange of modules to become suitable for more
high profile tasks, for example diplomatic missions.

I think that in my setting the Venture Class is likely to replace most Type
S in civilian use as well as many safari ships and yachts.

So, thank you very much for this versatile ship ! :D

If you're interested I posted the review on the SFRPG boards too, there are some more comments there:
http://www.sfrpg.org.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=259

EDG said:
Text: Layout is very good. The first two pages are a detailed overview of the ship, including quirks and idiosyncracies. It's generally readable but I think it does need an edit - I found the writing style to be a little too 'chatty', and there are quite a few extra/misplaced/missing commas and apostrophes and plurals. The lower deck plan mentions a "dinning area" too. The editing errors are noticeable, but don't render it unreadable.

It sounds a bit weird to me to have two lasers and a sandcaster on the same triple turret. I guess it works since sandcasters launch barrels of sand, but I'd imagine that you don't want to be firing all three weapons at once since it'd be a bit pointless to fire the lasers in the same direction as the cloud of sand that popped out from the barrel that the sandcaster just fired.

The deck plan explanations are good. The manoeuvre drive explanation goes a little overboard on the technobabble for my tastes though (it's very "super" apparently!). It actually sounds like a fusion torch drive (not unlike TNE's HEPlaR), which turns into something more like an H2/O2 chemical rocket near the ground (which to be honest isn't really something you actually want firing off near the ground either).

Although it's described as a reaction drive, in game terms it's described as a normal reactionless M-drive-2 - there's no mention of it using up extra hydrogen fuel in the stat block (and from the descriptoin, one would think that it should use up extra fuel).

Adventure seeds: Three adventure seeds are given - they're pretty decent, though I'm not really sure how well the ship would serve as a mercenary transport in the second seed given it's only got six staterooms and a lot of space taken up by 'luxuries'.

One more oddity is that the legal stuff at the front mentions that "the new components and there (sic) descriptions found on p12" are Open content... but there isn't a page 12 (page 12 is the back cover) and there aren't any new components described anywhere else.

Thanks for bringing these flaws to my attention I will do my best to correct them as soon as possible. (and have a talk with my editor)

rust said:
The first ship of the Venture Class, named AVALON ARGO, has already arrived in my setting. :D

I think that in my setting the Venture Class is likely to replace most Type S in civilian use as well as many safari ships and yachts.

So, thank you very much for this versatile ship ! :D

Your welcome. :D

I've just downloaded this - it's an excellent piece of work, minor flaws (and they are all minor - and easily corrected - flaws :D ) aside. Thanks for a great ship design, Arthur! :mrgreen:

Pretty sure the ship design was a collaboration between Arthur and David.

Love the layout of the ship, the engine is listed as capable of J2 but it can only carry enough fuel for a J1. On a 150 ton ship I am surprised you didn't for go some amenities in order to fully utilize the J2 capabilities. (Pretty much my only quibble with the design)

I am curious as to what software was used to create the deckplans, they look fantastic.

Duroon said:
Pretty sure the ship design was a collaboration between Arthur and David.
Actually the design was mostly Arthur. When I recruited him I had a deckplan that, while it was the right amount of squares, didn't actually fit inside the ship. Arthur took great creative license in redesigning the ship. And I love it!
Duroon said:
Love the layout of the ship, the engine is listed as capable of J2 but it can only carry enough fuel for a J1. On a 150 ton ship I am surprised you didn't for go some amenities in order to fully utilize the J2 capabilities. (Pretty much my only quibble with the design)

I am curious as to what software was used to create the deckplans, they look fantastic.

Ah thats one of the typos. It can make a full J2 (.1 x 150 x 2 = 30) as it caries 34 tons of fuel.

I will have the ship fixed and updated on Drivethru in a few days.

Ahhh, I see. I checked the chapter on ship design and 34 tons would be perfect for one J2 and 4 weeks of operation. Nice little ship.

My apologies to everyone for the typos. I have done my best to correct them. If you find any more please don't hesitate to send me an email to clue me in.

I just uploaded the corrected version to DriveThru.

David Blalock
D. B. Game Design
d.b.gamedesign@gmail.com

Just bought the pdf late last night and have only given it a quick read through but congratulations on a really useful little ship. I look forward to my players buying/stealing/finding it (almost) empty sometime soon!

Back