Variable Feats

Arkobla Conn

Mongoose
After playing for over a year now in the Conan World, my group has come to the realization that our warriors are too powerful. One reason is that they chose the best combination of feats possible. Two handed fighting is especially difficult, as it increases the amount of attacks...making a really good warrior lethal in a single round.

Given that, we've decided to use a combination of variable feats and assigned classes as we progress with new characters. It'll take more work on my part, but our intention is that whenever a character goes up a level, the GM will provide a list of 5-10 feats available based upon what the character has been doing to get that level. The feat will then be chosen at random. The GM will also have a discussion with the player on what class should be advanced...IE that soldier hasn't been in the army all level, he's been on the deck of the 'Sea Witch'. He gains a level in Pirate.

I think this will do a few things...

1. It'll make for more interesting, less cookie cutter characters
2. It'll add a bit more excitement to the game
3. It'll allow me to really incorporate some of the newer feats in books my players don't have.

Obviously, I'll do things like adding some feats multiple times to the list, increaseing the probability of getting them. This will be especially true for feat chains. If the warrior has Power attack, then cleave will feature prominantly, for example.

A long while ago, there used to be a feat list available on this site. Has it been updated? Is it still available??

What do you all think about this idea?

I mentioned the concept of variable feats that progress with character leveling about a year ago, but we could never come up with decent mechanics around here, and I never got motivated enough to get into it in any great depth.

I'd love to see what you've come up with. 8)

I basically chose the feats I felt were best suited for the characters level, taking into consideration prereq's and had them role randomly... As they progress, if they actively seek out training, there will be more 'slots' filled with the trained feats, but there will be chances to get others.

Just so I'm clear, you're making them like class feats that expand and improve with level, right?

Back