Upgrades: Armour

Hi, Matthew!

Reading your post was great to me - it`s nice to hear that you`ve several plans for A:2089! I can`t answer every question you mentioned in one post....so I`ll write some following posts in the future!

First of all I want to answer your supplement-question (because supplements, sourcebooks are my favourite entertaiment). As an A:2089 fan I´ve bought every supplement (including the main rulebook) and I really enjoyed two of them :p:

First of all the Earth 2089 book, which gave me a great view of the future world....it was, is, will be a fantastic inspiration for future adventures. Politics, treaties, geography and history were detailed with love.....My proposal is an Earth 2091 or 2092 sourcebook....describing the differences to Earth 2089 (what happened in the last 2,3,4 years)

Second as a Battletech fan I really enjoyed the warmachines of 2089 supplement. I`m honest...this book brought me to Mongoose (I`ve never heard of Mongoose before). Before A:2089 hit the shelves I`ve bought every Battletech TRO (=technical readout) from 2750,3025.. - Project Phoenix. I loved to read about the history, deployment and different variants of the nomerous battlemechs.....! Such a TRO, showing the new warmek prototypes, new power armour, tanks, roboter followers, supertanks....writing about the new deployment zones,variants, perhaps introducing a new warmek factory (Nordic league). Interviews with warmek testers, who try to assess the new products, showing their weaknesses brutally......giving a short review about the last weapon show in Taiwan.

So these are my first proposals, but several will follow! :p
Have a nice day and good luck!

Hi, Matthew! Hi, everybody!

To my last post above I want to add following idea (I know I`ve posted this idea, but I like it so much!! :p )

What do you think about the Armageddon 2089 Arena...! In the TRO encounters between new prototypes could be described! First of all the enemy warmeks, then the pilots of certain prototypes and the developing factory could be introduced (their favourite tactics, philosophy). At the end the encounter could be described (perhaps graphic novels could be used).

So the A:2089 Arena should not be a second Solaris (Battletech), but it should be used as platform to introduce and test new prototypes by Egide, Volksmecha etc. So it`s something like a Formula 1 event.....at the end of a season, one warmek factory will win the constructor prize.....! Also pilots will be able to win a championship.....there should be Damon Hills, Schuhmachers, Sennnas etc., who try to get this trophy. Every big nation will be proud to send a warmek pilot into the A: 2089 Arena....only the best ones will survive.

So have a nice thanksgiving...don`t eat too much! :p

msprange said:
1. We are in the midst of starting (drumroll) a miniatures division of Mongoose. The question we'll have to debate here is whether A2089 should primarily be an RPG or whether it was always meant to be a wargame. . .

I think miniatures of the mechs should be first priority, they would be useful in both RPG and wargame modes. Second would be a line of generic personnel minis for the RPG, mostly grunt troops, civilians and core classes. Last would be detailed character minis.

msprange said:
4. Boardgames are a strong possibility, though we have nothing set for A2089 at this time - might be a good idea to send a proposal in, if you are a budding games designer!

What type of Board Game are you talking about. Abstract combat games like Axis & Allies or something with less emphasis on combat and more political/ resource manipulation.

msprange said:
1. We are in the midst of starting (drumroll) a miniatures division of Mongoose. The question we'll have to debate here is whether A2089 should primarily be an RPG or whether it was always meant to be a wargame. . .

I think miniatures of the mechs should be first priority, they would be useful in both RPG and wargame modes. Second would be a line of generic personnel minis for the RPG, mostly grunt troops, civilians and core classes. Last would be detailed character minis.

msprange said:
4. Boardgames are a strong possibility, though we have nothing set for A2089 at this time - might be a good idea to send a proposal in, if you are a budding games designer!

What type of Board Game are you talking about. Abstract combat games like Axis & Allies or something with less emphasis on combat and more political/ resource manipulation.

As a wizkids - Dark Age gamer I prefer a miniatures wargame to a miniatures RPG! At the moment I`m not satisfied with Wizkids performance - you will ask: why? Because I`ve bought 10 booster packs and I got 4 industrials and 2 weak mechs! By the way.... the quality of the miniatures declines.

Before I started collecting Wizkids mechs I`ve played Classicbattletech miniatures game, but this product line is now going to an end.....so there will be some space for a new wargame. 8)

Anonymous said:
At the moment I`m not satisfied with Wizkids performance - you will ask: why? Because I`ve bought 10 booster packs and I got 4 industrials and 2 weak mechs!

Sadly enough I hear WoTC went to the "Randomly packed blind purchase model" for their new minis.

Hi, everybody!

The last year I´ve been a very busy costumer in buying Wizkids booster packs....with nearly the same result (many,many industrials....no tanks and perhaps 2 or 3 playable mechs)

Generally I`m a strong supporter of a miniatures wargame.....this would be a nice addition to your A.2089 product line. In my opinion another miniatures RPG would not make a sense.....the miniatures warmeks can be used in the current RPG.....so there is no need to establish a second RPG system. With the wargame you will be able to win some new costumers, like disappointed Dark Age gamers!

To the boardgame idea Iwant to say that I would prefer a game like civilization or diplomacy....there - you are able to trade, to develop new weapons or warmeks,to make some treaties with your enemies and last but not least to fight...!
By the time Eagle games (Attack, Age of Mythology, Civilization) could be a nice inspiration for a future A:2089 boardgame!

So have a nice day :p
PS: I`ve written a second post to MEG (concerning Upgrades :Armour)....perhaps something comes back!

Hello Mongoose guys !

In this post i want to express my TOTAL, ABSOLUTE and FANATIC support for your idea of a boardgame in the Arm2089-universe. YES,YES,YES!!!
I love the boardgames of eaglegames - civilization, attack, age of imperialism and age of mythology are so great. Actually these games rival role-playing as my dearest hobby !
So i would like to know, if you plan a boardgame silmilar to these games. As for ideas... mmmh, really hard. First and obvious variant would be that every gamer takes a certain power (US, EF,...) and tries to achieve world domination - through PRODUCTION (cities, special installations, meks, tanks, infantry,...) RESEARCH (new technologies, new installations), DIPLOMATIC MOVES (about "neutral" regions, spying actions, sabotage, rebellions) and MILITARY ACTIONS (attack, moving troops, retreat).

Another idea would be, that some players each command a mercenery unit - and the game's target is just to raise as much money as possible (and survive!) by completing missions for the different powers in the world. So one power could hire (perhaps by bidding) one merc unit (one player) to attack a certain territory, another power hires another player to defend that territory and so on. And the other players lead the different powers - their target would be (as in the classic variant) world domination, or a certain amount of influence in the world (or secret missions like in classic risk !!!) - and hire the "merc players" for their purposes. So two groups of players (the "leaders" and the "merc players") would try to achieve two different goals by playing two different styles of gameplay. They would have to interact with each other and and at the end there would be two winners - on two different levels. And that's in ONE game. In the next round the positions would change, then the ruthless mercs become the leaders of the different nations... and perhaps as a leader you could betray one merc, who has made the mistake to nuke your main city in the last game... (so sweet revenge is).

If my sick brain produces even more strange ideas, i will let you know...
(your fault, that you even mentioned the word "boardgame" in front of my dark soul... 8)

If the minitures are nice metal non-random ones I'll buy some just to look at. Assasin, Wavicle, Monarch and Survivalist first up please. :D

Hi, son of a preacherman!

I`ve read your post with growing interest....I like the idea of one game with two levels (states and mercs).

I can see the future boardgame with mercs fighting for lucrative jobs and experience points,new weapons and warmeks. More experience points and better weapons mean more money for contracts. On the other side: states and corporations, which try to increase their power....by using player and non player mercs to defend their territories....!

On the other hand mercs will be able to choose their missions from a pool of contracts with different experience point levels.... :p

Hi, Draco!

I`m very curious to see warmek miniatures, too (in order to play a wargame - see post above). Hope that there will be some new ones as addition to the existing machines.
I like the idea of developing the timeline by introducing more and more new warmek designs (for my account it will be not as good as for me, but who cares! :p ) in order to show the technical progress. ( like Classic Battletech)

So have a nice day!

Hi, Team Mongoose!

To the miniatures game I just want to add that Fire for effect (Dark Age Expansion) is totally sold out in USA. So I think there is still a big market for such games.....especially because Dark Age is not perfect!!!!!

What I want to repeat is the idea of a trading card game - I know some of you do not favour this kind of game. But you are not 10,11, or 12 years old..... Today I`ve visited the local gamestore in Vienna and some pupils were storming the store in order to buy several starter and expansions packs! They spent a lot of money.....! I don`t think that a trading card game will be a commercial disaster!

So have a nice day!

Hello, Team Mongoose!

At the moment I`m a little bit pissed off, I`m sorry to say this and it`s not your fault, but I have to write, because I´don`t want to swallow down my anger.

According to issue I, there would be a new supplement (Upgrades: Armour) there was a 4 pages-preview and this project seemed to be ready for the market.....and.....(this is the reason for being pissed off)....I `ve been glad to buy this supplement.

Now some months later....after two E-mails written to MEG and no answer (this is not very polite and unreliable)....there is no Upgrades Armour. I´m a little bit disappointed.....

PS:
Is there a possibility (if the project is dead) to publish the new material as download in the net?
I ask you, because MEG does not reply to their E-mails, perhaps you will be more lucky by contacting MEG

I'll certainly bring it up in our next meeting with MEG but there may be little we can do. This was a private project by MEG and, as such, remains their copyright (though we allowed free access to ours, of course). It is a shame, but I imagine there are reasons that it cannot be helped.

A2089 is by no means dead, however - we have three movels in the pipeline already, are planning some graphic novels and Signs & Portents will continue to give you a monthly 'fix' in the short term :)

msprange said:
, however - we have three movels in the pipeline already, are planning some graphic novels and Signs & Portents will continue to give you a monthly 'fix' in the short term :)
is a movel like a novel but with a mongoose twist :lol: hopefully the books will be in paperback form have no room for hardbacks 8)

Hi, Matthew!

First of all thank for the reply to my post above (that`s very polite and it`s a good feeling to be taken seriously as a costumer)

Second I know that A2089 is not dead.....one of your posts above shows that you have great plans with A2089 (miniatures game/novels/boardgame etc.), but the Upgrades Armour would be a nice supplement until Mongoose will publish some new ones.

In one of your posts you mentioned that the timeline will be spearheaded by novels and graphic novels. Does it mean that there are future plans to support these novels & graphic novels by publishing sourcebooks (like Earth 2090/The British Independence War or Warmachines II or something like that) ?

So...I wish you a merry christmas and a happy new year.....and don`t forget....EF gonna crush you! :p

I wrote the Centaur Mek design rules (and a bunch of new Meks, some centaurs and some not) as well as a large chunk of the background material for Upgrades:Armor - and I've been talking with MEG about the project over the past two months.

I wouldn't call the project 100% dead in the water yet.

Back