Update on Battlefield Evo - The Full Scoop

Mr Evil said:
msprange said:
Likely 2nd week of February, though I'll confirm that when they clear customs.

how come the yanks have them in hand then :(

these traveling man vouchers are burning a hole in my pocket you know, next week AT-43 stuff is released, and im still on the fence, if i jump both directions its gonna hurt...bad

Oh, sorry, you meant the samples. Depends on TM's distributor, but probably later this week.

tneva82 said:
The Legend said:
and can't wait to see the core Rules for BF Evo and SST Evo.

Just what you concider core btw?-) I would concider core to be moving, shooting, interacting with terrain etc and those we already have :wink:

Can't wait to see the extra rules like artirelly and air forces though.

Yeah I probably didn't make myself too clear on that! :oops:

I've tried the Rules from S&P and love them. I've used them in both SST and using Hiromoons BF Evo data cards. The game is great. I suppose by core rules I meant the Full Rulebook. But you're quite right the core rules are the Sheet you get with the Figs.

*Frak*

Still don't understand why people are complaining about not seeing the rules. As I see it the HB will only add scenarios and additional details to the conflict. Just my two pennith.

the main rulebook is slated to contain a campaign/scenario system, advanced rules for aircraft, artillery, other bits and pieces like that and platoon army lists for each faction.

Lorcan Nagle said:
Larac said:
Galatea said:
Know Starship Troopers? Read Signs&Portents?
Well then you know them, SST and BFE are essentially the same, with some minor exceptions and improvements.

I hope there is more to it than that, if not why does it take til march to put it out, if your statment is true, we are in troble.

Lee

why the hell is everything suddenly an indication of trouble? The rules are fully written and finished. The rulebook is coming out later to allow the basic rules and minis to disseminate amongsts the audience, and then they're releasing it as a suppliment more or less. This has been the stated plan since Matt's VERY FIRST POST ON THE GAME.

Because if you are correct why buy the book if we have all the rules already, the Main Book, I hope goes into more details, adds more meat to the game.

Not just a rehash of what we have already.

A skirmish game allows for a lot more options than a full wargame, as you should have fewer peices on the table, so you can do more with them, what we have on the sheet of rules is a great start, but if that is it plus a few weapon traits, there will be some large holes.

And THAT is what worries me.

And so far all the attacks on How dare I ask, does not bring faith, as from your statements you must have a copy of these rules, as you know what all they cover and all that.

Lee

Thanks Matt!

I really hope this game takes off, and help propel Mongoose up the Gaming Food Chain.

But things so far has me worried, I have over 300USD of orders made and have aggred to demo over 9 games in the first 3months we have it here in New Mexico.

On top of that I have been making terrian for the last month, so if I seem a bit worrierd its because I have commited a lot to it already.

Good Luck

Lee

I came Extremely close to setting up a Tournament for a convention February 9th and 10th. Ufortunately I'd be going up against a Warmachine tournament for the timeslot and we have a TON of people who want to play both games. I couldn't have won that competition without a little time for people to get used to the figures/rules.

I'm also committed to a bunch of demoes once I get my figures in. Hopefully I won't have to "touch up" too many of them.

James / Nezeray

Larac said:
Lorcan Nagle said:
Larac said:
I hope there is more to it than that, if not why does it take til march to put it out, if your statment is true, we are in troble.

Lee

why the hell is everything suddenly an indication of trouble? The rules are fully written and finished. The rulebook is coming out later to allow the basic rules and minis to disseminate amongsts the audience, and then they're releasing it as a suppliment more or less. This has been the stated plan since Matt's VERY FIRST POST ON THE GAME.

Because if you are correct why buy the book if we have all the rules already, the Main Book, I hope goes into more details, adds more meat to the game.

Not just a rehash of what we have already.

A skirmish game allows for a lot more options than a full wargame, as you should have fewer peices on the table, so you can do more with them, what we have on the sheet of rules is a great start, but if that is it plus a few weapon traits, there will be some large holes.

And THAT is what worries me.

While we've not seen a full contents list, lenty of details have been mentioned, including that it'll contain advanced rules, a campaign system and scenarios. It's like comparing the rules sheet that comes with a Warmachine/Hordes box set and the appropriate main rulebook

And so far all the attacks on How dare I ask, does not bring faith, as from your statements you must have a copy of these rules, as you know what all they cover and all that.

All I said was that there's plenty to complain about with the system, but when they've been perfectly transparent about theadvanced rulebook - the details of it and the later release date, it's not exactly fair to them.

to be honest the rules sheet contains more rules and options than the AT-43 mini rule book !!!!! and better laid out and exsplained.

as for weapon traits !!! there on the unit cards.

Larac said:

Because rulebook contains scenarios(with alternative victory conditions), campaigns and other such cool but not needed for playing rules?

Game does not need to have heaps of minor rules for it to be great. Actually those could easily make game bad.

tneva82 said:
Larac said:

Because rulebook contains scenarios(with alternative victory conditions), campaigns and other such cool but not needed for playing rules?

Game does not need to have heaps of minor rules for it to be great. Actually those could easily make game bad.

Skirmish rules can be fun and detailed, yes it can be taken too far, but if not taken far enough its just a larger scale game played with less minis.

EX:
40k is not a Skrimish Game even though they claim it is
Kill Team 40K is a skrimish game.

Warhammer to the Warband Rules are the same way.

With these rules I am still unsure where this game is planned for.

With these being the core rules, each gaming group will add a fair amount of "House Rules" I think, because they feel light for a Skrimish game, or because there are, or seem to be holes in the rules.

I know most groups add a rule or two, but I get the feeling from looking ad posts already that there will be more added to BFE.

These will make Tournys more diffcult to do.
Which Mongoose has talked about wanting to do for BFE.

Perhaps Mongoose might want to have an open Playtest Fourm set up, where folks suggest additions, that are then tested out by the player base, then voted on.

Ones that have merit are then looked at by Mongoose.

These would not be "True" Rules until they show up in print, but could be added to missions as extra details to cover things in more detail, and in general play for those who like them.

It would help narrow the spread some, and make Tournys easier to run, IMHO.

As I have said before I want BFE, (perhaps a better acronymn is needed :) ), to be a hit and be a great game, and that is why I bring these questions up.

If just one thing I say, spurs Mongoose improve the game, even if they do nothing I talked about, I just jarred something loose, then it has been worth my time, if it is bothering you just let it go.

No one is perfect and ideas help to make a better game, just saying its the greatest in the world, does more harm than good.

See comic, Lewis Black on Broadway to understand that.

Lee

For tournaments, I see two levels: Beginner and Advanced.

Beginner will be solely the quickstart sheet that came with the figures and a set point level like 500pts with the basic victory conditions. This would be easy for people to play at big cons because you could do a demo the first night and enter the tournament the second.

Advanced would include the Advanced Rulebook and it's rules plus a current Player's Guide (aka erreta). Point totals could be 1000-2000 pts. Then you would have set scenarios from the book and any advanced weapons/traits to date. Possibly even rules from Signs and Portents.

Having helped with MGP's Starship Troopers tournaments, I can see how each of these will interest players.

Nezeray

Larac - there is a section for "Rules Discussion" on evocommand.com's forums . We can always bat things around there and then come back and present it on Mongoose's boards after some banter/playtesting, since there isn't really a section for it here.

msprange said:
Low Roller 1-1 said:
Matthew,

Any plans for an openday so we can all come and play BF:Evo and look at the minis in person,
this may put some of our conserns to rest :lol:

You know, I was thinking about this today. Anyone free on a Saturday near the end of the month?

You can hear the chants all the way from the Midlands......

Road trip....road trip..... road trip!!!

I'd love to see an open day for BF Evo for a number of reasons,

1, Its Low-rollers turn to drive!
2, I want to see the shizzle dizzle before I buy
3, Mongoose normally have some goodies tucked away somewhere for us to have a butch at!!

Paladin said:
Larac - there is a section for "Rules Discussion" on evocommand.com's forums . We can always bat things around there and then come back and present it on Mongoose's boards after some banter/playtesting, since there isn't really a section for it here.

Sounds good.

I know I have 4-6 extras that will make a few Missions a lot more tense and hopefuly fun to play.

I'll post a few there after I fix a dragon tomarrow.

Lee

Back