Update on Battlefield Evo - The Full Scoop

If people want to make a comparison of the models, then they should look at some of the marklet leaders such as Corgi, not Mage Knights or Mechwarrior from Wizkids. That company has decades of experience. A set of 6 hand-painted metal figures at 1/50 scale sells for $25. A tank for the same scale at around $44. They are mostly used for collection or displays. Then look at the BF figures and decide whether they are worth it or not.

Here is the link: http://www.corgi-usa.com/code/home.php

AlgernonSidney said:
In reply to martin, those dragon tanks look fantastic. The would be a much better option for this.

Who makes 20mm moderns?

Funnily enough I have some superb 20mm British infantry in my "wall of lead" AKA the waiting to be painted pile - not sure where from now, (SHQ??) but I could find out, and in 20 mm Platoon 20 do some nice stuff, and Liberation Miniatures too. If you really want to explore other options, there is a company called CMC (?) who do some gorgeous 1:87 scale figures, and if you swap down to 15mm then you get everything you want and at £2 for 8 figs from Peter Pig or QRF or Old Glory or.......

Actually, that's the point really. I have thousands of unpainted figures. BF EVO if it delivered, would allow you to do what Mr Evil mentioned earlier (sorry if I got heavy there btw) open the box and play the game.

Now it looks like that will not be possible, or rather that the quality of the figures is not what we were lead to expect.

That leaves the rules.

They look ok, and to be honest I may well spend a half hour modding what we have as downloads to allow me to use the aforementioned 15mm stuff to give them a trial run. My problem is my current stuff is based in fire teams of 3. Actually I think that visually they will look much better in 15mm because we will not have such a problem with the ranges looking so short - in real life a rifle shoots a tad further than 40 meters.

If that works, well I may even go for the full rule set and play in another scale.

wildger said:
If people want to make a comparison of the models, then they should look at some of the marklet leaders such as Corgi, not Mage Knights or Mechwarrior from Wizkids. That company has decades of experience. A set of 6 hand-painted metal figures at 1/50 scale sells for $25. A tank for the same scale at around $44. They are mostly used for collection or displays. Then look at the BF figures and decide whether they are worth it or not.

Here is the link: http://www.corgi-usa.com/code/home.php

They are collectors peices not really wargames models, look at what Dragon do in 20mm. There is a product that I for one would be happy to say 90% of gamers cant match the painting standard.

Jester is probably right though, the thread is pretty much cyclic now. Lets wait and see

Interestingly one of the guys at ID Gaming says that they aren't so bad, and that they're selling:

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=339083#339083

Larac said:
Most of us have just been told abouth these "Great Rules", we have not been allowed to see them, or read them.

Know Starship Troopers? Read Signs&Portents?
Well then you know them, SST and BFE are essentially the same, with some minor exceptions and improvements.

I leave the website for a week and look what happens. I come back to find the game has been pushed back, the figure pictures have been changed and there's a brawl over bestiality, crystal meth and paintjobs.
Just for the record I'd have to be pretty drunk to try bestiality but I'm still keen to give BF:EVO a try. If I see the figures in the flesh and they're crap I'll take some crystal meth and everything should be fine.

Galatea said:
Larac said:
Most of us have just been told abouth these "Great Rules", we have not been allowed to see them, or read them.

Well then you know them, SST and BFE are essentially the same, with some minor exceptions and improvements.

I hope there is more to it than that, if not why does it take til march to put it out, if your statment is true, we are in troble.

Lee

Larac said:
Galatea said:
Larac said:

I hope there is more to it than that, if not why does it take til march to put it out, if your statment is true, we are in troble.

Lee

why the hell is everything suddenly an indication of trouble? The rules are fully written and finished. The rulebook is coming out later to allow the basic rules and minis to disseminate amongsts the audience, and then they're releasing it as a suppliment more or less. This has been the stated plan since Matt's VERY FIRST POST ON THE GAME.

Secesh said:
I leave the website for a week and look what happens. I come back to find the game has been pushed back, the figure pictures have been changed and there's a brawl over bestiality, crystal meth and paintjobs.
Just for the record I'd have to be pretty drunk to try bestiality but I'm still keen to give BF:EVO a try. If I see the figures in the flesh and they're crap I'll take some crystal meth and everything should be fine.

im with you all the way, athougth may try the mushrooms befor the crystal meths.

thier better painted than britons figs :D

Reborn said:
I presume by "Bob" you mean "Old Bear," and by "Jim" you mean "Matthew" :p

You could even have an American version with Bob as Ted and Jim as Alex, where Bob phones up the Chinese, it gets ugly, and he goes over there and scalps them all :twisted:

I've had to make Ted promise not to hurt people... :wink:

Don't meth with meth, Beth

Don't meth with meth, Seth

Don't meth with meth, Gwyneth

Don't meth with crystal meeeeth

This public service announcement was brought to you courtesy of the Reno County Sherrif's Department :D

Lorcan Nagle said:
Larac said:
Galatea said:

Lee

why the hell is everything suddenly an indication of trouble? The rules are fully written and finished. The rulebook is coming out later to allow the basic rules and minis to disseminate amongsts the audience, and then they're releasing it as a suppliment more or less. This has been the stated plan since Matt's VERY FIRST POST ON THE GAME.

:roll:

I must admit a small amount of trepidation based on the new Photo's of the Fig's, however, I love the SST system and am very impressed with the simplicity and fluidity of the Evo rules system.

As Lorcan Nagle has stated Matt told us that the main rulebook was going to be a Supplemental release to follow the initial release. Why is everybody so annoyed that they haven't seen a copy or example of the rulebook?

It is my understanding that Mongoose will preceed the release of the game with a preview of the rules in the same way they have with VaS. I love the rules sheet as a game system and can't wait to see the core Rules for BF Evo and SST Evo. I suppose I'll just have to wait and see with regards to the figures for the game until I can have a gander at them in the shops.

But I'm still counting myself in for BF Evo. For the Moment!

Mongoose Old Bear said:
Reborn said:
I presume by "Bob" you mean "Old Bear," and by "Jim" you mean "Matthew" :p

You could even have an American version with Bob as Ted and Jim as Alex, where Bob phones up the Chinese, it gets ugly, and he goes over there and scalps them all :twisted:

I've had to make Ted promise not to hurt people... :wink:
It must be quite trying for him, out in the States 8) :lol: (joking, I love you Yanks... mostly :roll:)

The Legend said:
and can't wait to see the core Rules for BF Evo and SST Evo.

Just what you concider core btw?-) I would concider core to be moving, shooting, interacting with terrain etc and those we already have :wink:

Can't wait to see the extra rules like artirelly and air forces though.

The Legend said:
It is my understanding that Mongoose will preceed the release of the game with a preview of the rules in the same way they have with VaS. I love the rules sheet as a game system and can't wait to see the core Rules for BF Evo and SST Evo. I suppose I'll just have to wait and see with regards to the figures for the game until I can have a gander at them in the shops.

check our S&P issue 39 - it contained the basic rules that will be included in the box set.

msprange said:
Likely 2nd week of February, though I'll confirm that when they clear customs.

how come the yanks have them in hand then :(

these traveling man vouchers are burning a hole in my pocket you know, next week AT-43 stuff is released, and im still on the fence, if i jump both directions its gonna hurt...bad

Lorcan Nagle said:
The Legend said:

check our S&P issue 39 - it contained the basic rules that will be included in the box set.

also available in the download section :)

also look at hiros Cards for stats of units so you can try the game out with proxies.

Mr Evil said:
how come the yanks have them in hand then :(

these traveling man vouchers are burning a hole in my pocket you know, next week AT-43 stuff is released, and im still on the fence, if i jump both directions its gonna hurt...bad

Just get your little lady to kick you repeatedly in the goods, Mr Evil. That'll help!

;)

Anyway, don't feel too put out...we are "closer" to China after all..

Back