Unified Mechanic

Grrrr

Mongoose
Reading between the lines (possibly mis-reading between the lines)

Sample generated charcater have a score and a modifier

i.e. Edu 6 (+1)

Does this mean that Mong traveller is moving away from:

Skills: roll 2d6+mods 8 or better succeeds
Attributes: roll 2d6 under Attribute

Toward
Skills and Attributes: roll 2d6+mods 8 or better succeeds?

If so well done Mong as the old two system approach used to really pee me off.

Grrrr

That's an interesting take. Maybe so. Of course, that mechanic seems pretty similar to CT -- maybe it's more streamlined, eh?

And I suppose you can use it for pure attribute tests. You'd get less resolution, but as you said, you get to use the same mechanic.

Grrrr said:

i.e. Edu 6 (+1)

Toward

Grrrr

That's what we have been doing...but for tests involving pure attributes (and not just skills that the character doesn't have) I double the modifier.

Allen

Allensh said:
That's what we have been doing...but for tests involving pure attributes (and not just skills that the character doesn't have) I double the modifier.

Allen

That certainly makes sense 'native wit' tests shouldn't be hamstrung by the need to provide the possibility of failure for tests involving training and learning.

I only ever had 2 houserules for CT. Looks like I may not need half of them!

Grrrr

Allensh said:
Grrrr said:

i.e. Edu 6 (+1)

Toward

Grrrr

Allen
Most skill tasks use one skill + one characteristic for the DM to the 2d6 roll. So, for characteristic only tasks, I tend to name off *2* characteristics (often the same one like Str+Str, but sometimes it's Str+Dex or Str+End or whatever) for the DM to add to the 2d6. This makes the task mechanic the same for skill based tasks and characteristic based tasks.

my inclination would be to go easy on the difficulty levels, and just use either stat or skill on any given roll. Makes it easier "roll guns" or "roll endurance".

weasel_fierce said:
my inclination would be to go easy on the difficulty levels, and just use either stat or skill on any given roll. Makes it easier "roll guns" or "roll endurance".

Very easy, very nice.

I can see that, generally, your stat *ought* to influence your chances, depending on what you're doing.

But, if you're using only stat or skill, then you can scale the stat DM to match up with skill levels. I like that.

It has the edge of being simpler, and there are a lot of cases where you can argue that there's no one clear cut stat.

Shooting f.x.... its mostly dexterity, but your mental state, psychology and general preparedness is just as, if not far more, important.

weasel_fierce said:

I really don't know how I feel about this idea;

The K.I.S.S. part thinks it's great.

The traditional part thinks that stats should effect how well you do something (maybe by not applying more stat mod than you have skill?)

I think I'd have to run a bit of a playtest to see which I prefer, but just using one mod certainly has a degree of elegance about it.

Back