Underdark in Hyboria? He's crazy!

Bushido

Mongoose
I'm not sure, but I was thinking about having a sort of "underdark" (no drows or D&D monsters). I would simply be an accient huge underground location.
What Conan main race could live there?

Bushido said:
I'm not sure, but I was thinking about having a sort of "underdark" (no drows or D&D monsters). I would simply be an accient huge underground location.
What Conan main race could live there?

An excellent idea: remnants of ancient Acheron ofcourse: what else?

...or picts...

Perhaps hordes of Lovecraftian ghouls...

Or something like the 'Little People' (short, slightly reptilian humanoids with evil, slanted eyes). Read the REH stories Worms of the Earth, The Little People, People of the Dark and The Children of the Night for inspiration on these guys.

I'd say Archeronian/Old Stygian artifacts, demons, serpent men, possibly even something horrible the Lemurians cooked up and was buried by the cataclysm.

Bushido said:
I'm new to Hyboria, what are the Acheron? :cry:

Acheron was a sorcerously skilled empire that was destroyed during the Hyborian drift. If you have the Conan core rules, there's some info on it near the back.

Acheron was an EVIL empire and the people were evil by nature and sorcerously inclined by bloodline.

By comparison, Acheron makes Stygia look like a country of happy little smurfs.

Hope that helps.

Darth Mikey said:
By comparison, Acheron makes Stygia look like a country of happy little smurfs.

"Iao Smurfeth, Smurfeth Iao" :D

Why not ARACHeronians: vile spiderhybrids stemming back to that evil empire of yore.

No, I actually think that picts is a good plan. Get your hands on the old MERP adventure Woses of the Black Woods and convert! :)

alll things considered, I would say the old AD&D module "S1 - Tomb of horrors" would make an excellent adventure for Conan: few but powerful monsters and deadly traps.

Bushido said:
Darth Mikey said:
Why not ARACHeronians: vile spiderhybrids stemming back to that evil empire of yore.

You know, actually, I think it a good idea.

It might well be, mightn't it? I mean, is there any other explanation to the Zamorian spider-cult???!! 8)

You know there was a really bad Conan pastiche about a pair of rival sorcerers who lived underground and ruled over seperate species of underground monsters- a race of malformed cyclopses and a race of giant sentient silk worms. Yes- it was that bad. It however featured an Underdark sort of environment. Any Conan scholars here remember which story it was?

Also, for the scholars of the really obscure there was a Fafard/Grey Mouser story set in in a Underdark like environment rules by two rival groups of socerers which might be useful in setting a like environment. Anyone remember this one?

Raven Blackwell said:
You know there was a really bad Conan pastiche about a pair of rival sorcerers who lived underground and ruled over seperate species of underground monsters- a race of malformed cyclopses and a race of giant sentient silk worms. Yes- it was that bad. It however featured an Underdark sort of environment. Any Conan scholars here remember which story it was?
The worst pastiche I ever read until now: Conan the indomitable by steve perry.
You forgot to mention the giant fish that Conan killed and used as a raft and the sex-obsessed witch which played lascively with her worms.

The King said:
You forgot to mention the giant fish that Conan killed and used as a raft and the sex-obsessed witch which played lascively with her worms.

I think my subconscious was trying to forget that last part......and oh my Goddess there's more. Recall the hermaphoridite swordsman, the man cursed to insult everyone, the telepathic gem and the sentient giant bats?

Christopher Nolan is right- some memories are best forgotten....

Raven Blackwell said:
The King said:
I think my subconscious was trying to forget that last part......and oh my Goddess there's more. Recall the hermaphoridite swordsman, the man cursed to insult everyone, the telepathic gem and the sentient giant bats?
You two must stop this conversation right now; the memories its bringing back are to much for me to bear.

Conan the Indomitable is indeed one of the worst pieces of work I have ever seen come out of someones ass.

degenerated offspring of the ancient Atlanteans, who got trapped in to te caves during the catalysm... Actually, hundreds of years of living in darkness could have turned them to creatures similar to Lovecraftian ghouls... Players could meet those creatures couple of times, and after that they could find some ancient relics / paintings in walls / etc. that gives them a hint about a true origin of these beasts.

And speaking of Lovecraft:

Do not forget the Mi-Go who usually live underground where they burrow for metals. Their strange and futuristic technology can be something really interesting.

Svenja said:
And speaking of Lovecraft:

Do not forget the Mi-Go who usually live underground where they burrow for metals. Their strange and futuristic technology can be something really interesting.

You're a Mi-Go fan, Svenja, aren't you? I think I can remember several Mi-Go posts from you (Mi-Gos in Shem?) :wink:

Raven Blackwell said:
The King said:

Christopher Nolan is right- some memories are best forgotten....
And what about Conan and the death lord of Thanza?
The talking skull, the faith that literally moves mountains (oever the sky) and Conan talking to skeletton warriors so that they may fight for him (as if he was use to others doing the fight for him).

The King said:
And what about Conan and the death lord of Thanza?
The talking skull, the faith that literally moves mountains (oever the sky) and Conan talking to skeletton warriors so that they may fight for him (as if he was use to others doing the fight for him).

I think the witch whose magical tools were modeled after various RL battery operated 'toys' tops that, thank you. No pun intented.

Back