Votes: 0 0.0%

• More than 6

• Total voters

BP

Mongoose
So how many PCs are typically involved in your adventures? Not just the number of players, but player characters (excluding NPCs).

I've had lots of problems with group attendance in the past, so I've kind of like to have 8 players in the hopes I get 4 to show up.

For conventions I say "6 Seats" but have like 12 diff prejens then I can give the players some choice and have wiggle room for extra players.

4 in an online game (non-PbP)
6-8 in a face to face game where most players don't know each other

in college, averaged 10-12 players a game (had over 40 some different players in the game total.) But I was in form back then.

Largest game ave 16
Biggest game ever 22 (and shared the game with another GM to keep the action going. Everyone said they had a great time.)

Dave Chase

BP said:
Dave Chase said:
...Largest game ave 16...
Solo - quite a feat - did these people know each other?

If I remember correctly that they all knew of each other and a majority of them were friends.

The way I ran the bigger player games, was it was required that they play character and interact as such. Many times the larger group games would lead to many smaller group games with specific group goals in mind.

An Example from a 12+ large group game,
The setting was at an auction of a wealthy, well known explorer who died. All the players (along with 100's of others) showed up at the auction. Some players were bidding on items others were just there with their friends before they would hop over to another planet.

Some of the characters were hanging out in the bar talking watching the auction or what ever. They began talking about bizzare animals and what kind of would make interesting pets and how people would react to such.
(and lots other stuff too).

What this broke down to was several other game sessions where smaller groups of players headed off to find some bizzare animals.
One wanted this certain animal for a pet (happened to be wealthy enough, she hired some of the players with a ship to take her to that planet to try and capture one in the wild)
4 others, decided to start capturing wild and unusal animals and sell them to circuses and maybe some zoo's.

Once in a while some of the players from the two(+) groups would run into each other.

The larger (10+) games usually only took place once a month at most and was a schedule game where you (the player) to sign up and list some things that you (the character) would be wanting to attempt to do/accomplish.

The smaller group games (4-8 ave) took place once to twice a week.

I also would allow as time permitted to talk 1 on 1 or 2 at at time over lunch or an hour drive to shop (or such) so that mini games took place probably 3 to 5 times a week.

After 2 years of this, I had to stop holding such regular game time, my grades suffered a bit :(
Of course I also offered to keep running if they payed me, (and 6 players did. :) )

Dave Chase

The current number of players I have is 4. Though there is also a "Recurring Character" and a "Guess Star."

So, depending on the day, 4 to 6.

Dave Chase said:
...Of course I also offered to keep running if they payed me, (and 6 players did. :) ...

Guess that makes you a Professional Ref! :D

That sure must have been a lot of time and effort - curious if you found one or the other (small groups/large) more satisfying...

BP said:

That sure must have been a lot of time and effort - curious if you found one or the other (small groups/large) more satisfying...

Groups that had a purpose (to play, to do an adventure or just to work together) were always the most fun.

I disliked groups that would be contrey/adverse just to be different (mainly a player or two that like to disrupt games).

I never got a good Amber RPG game going but I like the idea and concept where players should be into character instead of just die rolling a lot.

I would love to see a Traveller Live Action game. As long as the players played and not just clowned around. :)

Dave Chase

Dave Chase said:
...I never got a good Amber RPG game going but I like the idea and concept where players should be into character instead of just die rolling a lot...
I always encouraged players to stay in character - this is what roleplay means to me - and minimized die roles. Turning die checks into verbal interactive descriptions and questions and simple referee decision often makes more sense to me - and provides understandable justification to players...

However, the idea of RPGs without any dice? - in the words of that GalaxyQuest Guy - Oh *that's* not right.

Dave Chase said:
I would love to see a Traveller Live Action game. As long as the players played and not just clowned around. :)...
...in the words of that GalaxyQuest Guy - Oh *that's* not right.

We've fluctuated between 3 and 13 (not recommended) with the majority being 4-7.

For Cons, I allow 6 and will take 2 walk-ups if I'm in the mood/the group is agreeable.

Our game tomorrow will have 4, with a 5th possible.

Interesting pattern - the percentages have stayed very consistent with pairs (2,4,6) being more common and 4 players being the most typical....

Back