Two weapon strike - sneak attack

Voltumna

Mongoose
Two weapon strike, this is the new feat from Hyboria's Fiercest. Can a thief using this feat add his sneak attack dice to both weapons? Seems plausible to me, as both weapons are treated as delivering a single attack.

Voltumna said:
Two weapon strike, this is the new feat from Hyboria's Fiercest. Can a thief using this feat add his sneak attack dice to both weapons? Seems plausible to me, as both weapons are treated as delivering a single attack.

I would say no because both weapons are considered a single attack. You get to add your sneak attack damage once to each attack.

Two-Weapon Strike: When armed with a slashing weapon in both hands you can make a special attack once per round using both weapons…….
…….If both attacks hit, total up the damage done and apply it as though it were a single attack for all purposes….

Sneak Attack: any time the thief’s target is unable to dodge or parry, or when the thief flanks the target, the thief’s attack deals extra damage……

Can a thief or pirate use the tow-weapon strike feat and add the sneak attack damage from each weapon?

I think this is a really though combination, especially if you can add the sneak attack dice from each weapon, I DM a game an would shudder to think the thief there starting to do this , well… I could think of a few things too…. ;)
still…
It seem to me that if you can do a critical hit with each weapon you could do a sneak with each?, I think the basis for the sneak attack and a critical hit are essentially the same, you hit some particularly vulnerable spot, in that sense it could happen…

The thief from the Conan movie comes to mind
Any thoughts?
I know that at the end each game group or DM are going to rule in one way or another but I’d like to hear what people think of this, and also if we could reach who wrote it and maybe talk about the intention of the feat,

It looks to me that the feat was intended to level out the advantage of a two handed weapon vs two weapon fighting in the sense of massive damage and this might be an unintended use (abuse?) of the feat

Any comments and thoughts are apreciatted

I still argue no.
Your point about two critical hits and a vulnerable spot are valid, but I digrees a little.

A crit hit with a weapon is a strike on a vulnerable part of the body more by chance then intent.

Sneak attacks are a hit on a vulnerable part of the body due to knowledge of anatomy and precision.

I view the overall two weapon slash as being more of the former, but a thief could still guide the one attack into a vital. The whole point of the feat is that two attacks are treated as one.

I think I will rule that way, but let's be honest, either ruling isn't going to change things much. If you rule it my way, the thief will just make two attacks with his two weapons to get the doubled sneak attack damage. Either way, the flat footed/flanked enemy is seriously hurting.

Belkregos said:
Two-Weapon Strike: When armed with a slashing weapon in both hands you can make a special attack once per round using both weapons…….
…….If both attacks hit, total up the damage done and apply it as though it were a single attack for all purposes….

Sneak Attack: any time the thief’s target is unable to dodge or parry, or when the thief flanks the target, the thief’s attack deals extra damage……

Can a thief or pirate use the tow-weapon strike feat and add the sneak attack damage from each weapon?
No, I just wrote on another thread that I'm still awaiting this book, but sneak attack damage is rolled once, no matter how many weapons are hitting; add it to the total damage done to both weapons. You don't make 2 sneak attack damage rolls. This is how sneak attack works with all other feats, so I can't imagine it rolling twice for this particular feat. If both attacks hit, total up the damage done and apply it as though it were a single attack for all purposes, it says, so sneak attack damage is rolled once.
Belkregos said:
It seem to me that if you can do a critical hit with each weapon you could do a sneak with each?, I think the basis for the sneak attack and a critical hit are essentially the same, you hit some particularly vulnerable spot, in that sense it could happen…
Again, I'd say no. Sneak attack damage is rolled once, even if both weapons hit as a critical.

Hyborian Apeman said:
I still argue no.
Your point about two critical hits and a vulnerable spot are valid, but I digrees a little.

A crit hit with a weapon is a strike on a vulnerable part of the body more by chance then intent.

Sneak attacks are a hit on a vulnerable part of the body due to knowledge of anatomy and precision.

I'd say that precisely because of that (knowledge and precission over mere chance), SA damage could be rolled for each weapon.

Two weapon strike is dealt as a single attack to hit, but not when it comes to determine damage or resolve threats. It is delivered as single attack because of the sinchronicity of both blades, and deals the damage of both weapons. Precisely because both weapons strike when a character is subject to a sneak attack, I think SA damage could be rolled for both weapons, since the circumstance that allows the extra SA damage is going on at the time of the TWS.

I asked to see what other people thought about it. I think it's technicaly plausible. Now, is it a good idea? That's a different matter, and I would say no. The feat would practically double the thieve's level regarding SA damage. Very unbalancing.

Still, if the rule is for single SA damage, TWS still provides one weapon extra damage, and half your strenght bonus for off hand weapon. Not as deadly, but thieves usually get a single sneak attack against an opponent anyway, and you wont get to hit penalties for the extra damage, unless you push the power attack penalty as well.

Voltumna said:
I'd say that precisely because of that (knowledge and precission over mere chance), SA damage could be rolled for each weapon.

Two weapon strike is dealt as a single attack to hit, but not when it comes to determine damage or resolve threats. It is delivered as single attack because of the sinchronicity of both blades, and deals the damage of both weapons. Precisely because both weapons strike when a character is subject to a sneak attack, I think SA damage could be rolled for both weapons, since the circumstance that allows the extra SA damage is going on at the time of the TWS.

I asked to see what other people thought about it. I think it's technicaly plausible. Now, is it a good idea? That's a different matter, and I would say no. The feat would practically double the thieve's level regarding SA damage. Very unbalancing.

It is the fact that the attacks are synchronous that I think it is hard to make the attacks precise. A thief with an arming sword and a ghanata knife would have a hard time coordinating both weapons with a single swing into a precise strike to deal the damage.

If both weapons are aimed with precision, I have a hard time conceding that they are synchronized into one swing.

Back