Twilight Sector (55% OFF - 23 March only)

ephealy

Mongoose
Twilight Sector is a Traveller-compatible campaign setting published by Terra/Sol Games.

MSRP: $19.99 (print edition)

We're offering it today (and only today) on Loot for $8.99 (55% OFF MSRP). Check it Out

What You Get: A perfect-bound splat book (the dead tree kind) with some nifty art and a description of the Twilight Sector Campaign Setting. The rules are compatible with the Traveller RPG system. If you’re a Traveller fan, looking for a new sector in which to game, welcome to the Twilight. No sparkly vamps here, but there be dragons!

Learn more about Twilight Sector:
*Atomic Array 34 (podcast)
*Game Cryer (review)

Grab Twilight Sector on Loot

w00t! I've ordered my copy!

BTW - the shipping cost is about the same price as the book (or at least to Texas it is). Which is still less than MSRP for the book, so you still win.

Also, it took the website some time (a few minutes) to process my location and zip code. Don't give up too early.

hdan said:
w00t! I've ordered my copy!

BTW - the shipping cost is about the same price as the book (or at least to Texas it is). Which is still less than MSRP for the book, so you still win.

Also, it took the website some time (a few minutes) to process my location and zip code. Don't give up too early.
+1. The podcast sold me on it. Can't wait to get it from UPS.

I'm doing some work on the Twilight Sector project.

It's the only game stuff I'm doing these days.

So far I've contributed to the Terra/Sol sourcebook and a few other things besides.

tzunder said:
It can't do S+H to the UK.
Hrm... I'll look into that. Thanks for letting me know.

Week #2 and I'm sure we'll be filing down the rough edges for a bit longer... Hope you'll continue checking us out. I will work on that S&H thing.

tzunder said:
It can't do S+H to the UK.

Loot will do S&H to the UK if you pick "United Kingdom" from the destination dropdown. If that wasn't obvious, let me know? We'll try to make it moreso.

Or did you do that and still have issues?

Huh, I bought this a while ago and haven't looked too closely at it. Heavily influenced by Star*Drive, I see (which is great, S*D is a great setting!).

Also, this explains why I'm Friends with Ed Healy on Facebook but couldn't remember why. :)

Got my copy yesterday! Fun stuff, and feels very much like a "2000's Space Opera", in contrast with Traveller's usual "1970's Space Opera". I can't wait to get the chance to dig into the book properly.

(As an aside - I'm reading Mark Van Name's "John and Lobo" books. Except for his FTL tech, it's very much in the right flavor for this type of setting.)

I assume we use standard Traveller rules for anything not mentioned in the book? (Such as chargen, spaceships, etc.)

I also wasn't quite clear - in the setting, are the Dreadnaughts the only starships, or are they just really honkin' big starships that you'll run into sometimes while flying around in your own starship? And is this the sort of setting where players might have their own ships, or would they generaly book passage to places?

hdan said:
I assume we use standard Traveller rules for anything not mentioned in the book? (Such as chargen, spaceships, etc.)

Generally, though there are some minor changes to character generation and ships. You can use the standard rules for that sort of stuff, till you have the specifics.

hdan said:
I also wasn't quite clear - in the setting, are the Dreadnaughts the only starships, or are they just really honkin' big starships that you'll run into sometimes while flying around in your own starship? And is this the sort of setting where players might have their own ships, or would they generaly book passage to places?

There aren't that many dreadnoughts (those things aren't cheap), but there are plenty of the usual sorts of Traveller ships.

While the initial reviews of the core book were someone positive (3/5 type rating) and one RPG review site that wasn't all that happy, I heartily recommend that people look at the entire TS catalog. Many layout changes (you can tell what products were done together). Information put in places making it hard to find, and in many cases you have to have read the core book in great depth to realize what some things in the adventures were since they were only referenced by their initials.

I own everything TS has out right now and, well, personally I'm sorry I paid what I did for the PDFs. I ran the two free adventures at several cons and the players didn't have great things to say even after I let them read the adventures over (after we were finished). High quality sound files that detracted from the game, maps that were such delicate shades of grey you have a hard time seeing how big rooms are, the sound files contradicting the maps (ok, swat goes in through the club and down the stairs to the basement... but the basement has separate outside stairs only).

I also know TS has been pushing hard for people to come onto the MGT forums and really pump up their stuff (including pushing me several times even after we discussed the matter).

The core material can be worth it if you're willing to work with it, and don't expect much more on the overall picture of their known space, TS is about a few detailed planets.

While I appreciate Al's right to post what he wants regarding our products in the interest of full disclosure he should have included the fact that he was associated with us for awhile and we severed our association. He appears to be disgruntled with us so all I ask is that you check out our stuff including the adventures Al refers to. They're free after all what have you got to lose.

PS: Al you didn't pay anything for the PDFs they're free and you received all our products for free because I sent them to you myself.

crossmlk said:
PS: Al you didn't pay anything for the PDFs they're free and you received all our products for free because I sent them to you myself.
This is not the forum for mud slinging or lies. Truth be told (and my credit card records as well as DriveThru RPG) will show I received ONE item for free, the rest were bought paid-for and downloaded before I did more than join the TS forums.

Additionally, my opinions were stated to the staff of TS on many occasions in voice conversations so they are not new nor unknown to them. In fact, yes those opinions were what caused us to part ways. Unfortunately I see many things differently than Mr. Cross and I stand by what I've said including the results/player comments of running the two free adventures (with sound files) at two separate gaming conventions for a total of 36 separate players. My reviews elsewhere are much more detailed than I felt appropriate to post here (would take about five maxed-out posts if I figure things correctly).

I note that the person starting this thread evidently (ephealy) runs/owns the website Mr. Cross has offered a discount through (loot), and then AndreW as a close non-staff association working with (on the T/S forums) CaptainJonah on a set of adventures. Pretty much IMO more pushing people with very tight ties to the company to come an 'pump up the Mongoose Forums about T/S' as I was pushed to do several times.

I also note that I found about 7 or 8 other reviews for T/S products (core book primarily) only two are mentioned in this thread and one is a podcast interview. Here are all I could find, including one the others don't point to (RPG.net). Let me note that most of them are 2009 (year of the produce copyright) and are ONLY of the CORE book. As far as I can find nothing has been reviewed since.

Most of these comment on shortfalls/disappointments that they hope are going to be corrected in future products.

* RPG.net: Shannon Appelcline
* Atomic Array: Twilight Sector (Atomic Array 034)
* Game Cryer: Review by Chris Perrin
* The Zhodani Base: Twilight Sector - A new TU
* Apathy Blogs: Something New For Traveller
* Rogue Puppet: A Role Player’s Dream is Discovered
* Examiner.com: Review by Michael Shorten

Some things I have said in my reviews & comments came primarily straight from Mr. Cross as part of voice chats where I asked many questions trying to understand the setting and what was the plan, what was coming out. In one sentence he summed it up: "We are not populating a massive galaxy with a bunch of worlds that are simply one line UPP entries, we are creating a few worlds in the Twilight and Crescent sectors and detailing them out over time. A small playground with great detail." Unfortunately, that's never said in anything published up till now. Not much more I can say due to NDA restrictions.

For all who enjoy the T/S materials, I'm glad for you and more power to you. We're all different, we like different things, our 'critical eye' works differently than anyone else's. I had great hopes when I started reading the T/S core book but as I got into later material not so grand. I didn't find out the truth of the setting (see quote above) until after I was brought on board, and once on board I showed totally loyalty, and when I saw things were very much not what I was lead to believe I stated my case knowing Mr. Cross would have no choice but to drop a loud independent voice from the staff.

I wish T/S well and great success, hoping they can find their feet and hear the voices that don't agree with his viewpoint. Best of luck Mike, Chris, and John.

Though I'm obviously quite new to TS, I can see the setting's potential - I rather like the concept of the "ragged edge of space", which is missing from the OTU. I also like the more up-to-date Space Opera trappings - Genetic engineering, cybertech, AI's, etc. - while still staying "Traveller-y".

Having a small but very well detailed playground (for now) seems like a good choice, and allows getting away from what (for me) is the more typical "every world is a starport and trade codes" feel of OTU Traveller. (I know that the OTU is amenable to any style of play, but it's nice to have someone else doing the "heavy lifting" for these worlds. I was also a fan of the "Bowman Arm" detailing products.)

I'm definitely looking forward to newer books that detail Net Pilot careers, the UPP "Temperature" extension and some of the new tech items hinted at.

Back