Turrets vs. Barbettes

Vandal

Mongoose
Specifcally Particle Beam Triple turrets vs. Particle Beam Barbettes. Which is better?

If a Triple turret mounting 3 x Particle Beams weighs 1 ton + 1 ton of FC. And a Particle Beam Barbette weighs 5 tons. The turret doing a possible
damage per weapon of 3d6+radiation, 3 times or the barbette doing 4d6+radiation once?

Am I missing something?

I designed a ship with both, mainly as I figured we might need the extra armour penetration. In the end, whilst in for post combat repairs, we changed the barbette to a triple particle turret.

Maybe the barbette ought to do more damage....or the turret mounted beams do less. I mean, compare them to pulse lasers. WAY longer range and without the -2 DM to hit. Why not make turret particle beams do 2d6 damage as well, but with much better accuracy and range characteristics? Or something like 2d6+2 might be appropriate (to simulate superior armor penetration).

Vandal said:
If a Triple turret mounting 3 x Particle Beams weighs 1 ton + 1 ton of FC. And a Particle Beam Barbette weighs 5 tons. The turret doing a possible
damage per weapon of 3d6+radiation, 3 times or the barbette doing 4d6+radiation once?

The 1 ton for a turret (or 2 for pop-up turrets) includes the fire control already.

Vandal said:
Specifcally Particle Beam Triple turrets vs. Particle Beam Barbettes. Which is better?

Am I missing something?

Armor. a ship with 10 points of armor will take an average of 1.5 hits from a triple turret, vs 4 from a barbette. Its not quite three times as much, but close. And, at higher levels, its quite possible for a turret to fail to penetrate on any of its shots; and I think, that likelihood is greater that the chance of a Barbette wiffing.

If you have armored targets, a barbette is the way to go.

Definitely, Barbette if HG is being used and barrages are the norm.

~Rex....Besides Barbettes Scare Pirates.

Rikki Tikki Traveller said:
It also makes a difference if you use the Barrage rules in HG. The Barbette is a much better weapon against armor, as CaptainJack said.

Wait, does this mean someone figured out the barrage rules finally? Did we ever get a clarification?

Rex said:
Rikki Tikki Traveller said:
So do pop-up turrets! :twisted:

Arc Field weapons scare Pirates more then Pop Up Turrets.

~Rex
Pop ups kill pirates, Arc weapons scare them. remember - for a merchant, you want a pirate to see your weaponry....the goal is to not have to use it, after all. for a q-ship or military ship ? Not so much.

Spiral Mounts. Spiral Mounts scare 'em and kill 'em!

Pirates really aren't pirates till they get in close and steal something - so where are the Pop-Up Arc Field Weapons - that'a take care of them darn pirates :D

Back