[Trooper X/Traveller] Welcome to the Edge of the Frontier

Sylvre Phire

Mongoose
A long time ago, when Emperor Strephon was believed dead and war wracked the Third Imperium, Foreven Sector was born. The brainchild of Greg Videll and Mike Mikesh (with Marc Miller's blessing), the sector was designated a "Referee's Preserve". Exempt from the eminent domain of official development, Foreven was a place where Traveller gaming groups could develop their own part of the Original Traveller Universe (OTU).

But, as sometimes happens in the industry, a good idea loses its luster and falls by the wayside. Such was the fate of Foreven Sector and the creation of licensed third party Traveller material. MegaTraveller was succeeded by The New Era; GDW faded from the industry continuum and the torch passed briefly to Imperium Games before IG faltered and took Traveller into its own Long Night in 1998.

A decade passed before Traveller emerged from its slumber and entered the era of the Open Game License (OGL). For some time, the OGL heralded a brave new frontier for Traveller -- returning to its role as the vehicle for universes beyond the OTU. Meanwhile, the Foreven Sector license quietly waited in the shadows for someone to make use of it.

While we are the third company to actively make use of the license to create a version of Foreven Sector, we hopefully won't be the last...

You can find more news and a glimpse of our plans for Foreven Sector at our new design blog, The Forge of Foreven (http://forevenforge.blogspot.com)!

What, GURPS Traveller and T20 don't count for anything? GURPS Traveller did a damn good job 'keeping the flame burning' after 1998. It's only fair to give credit for that.

I'd be more interested in a whole new setting. Not a new type of game a la Judge Dread. The 3I as a setting was old and moldy by '90. Just think if D&D had just pounded on Oearth for 37 years...

You should start a new . Shred everything and start over. That way you don't have to worry about that license.

I sort of agree, the 3rd Imperium has waaay passed its prime as a setting. That said, if you want to do it, do it. The point is to do what you love and have fun.

Thanks for the interest, folks. To answer your questions and clarify things:

Wil Mireu said:
What, GURPS Traveller and T20 don't count for anything? GURPS Traveller did a damn good job 'keeping the flame burning' after 1998. It's only fair to give credit for that.

Wil, it was not my intention to slight or exclude fans of GURPS Traveller or T20. Yes, both did a lot to keep the flame burning. Mea culpa, that will be corrected. I will note, however, that you left out the Hero System edition of Traveller.

sideranautae said:
I'd be more interested in a whole new setting. Not a new type of game a la Judge Dread. The 3I as a setting was old and moldy by '90. Just think if D&D had just pounded on Oearth for 37 years...

You should start a new . Shred everything and start over. That way you don't have to worry about that license.

We do have plans for one or two new settings, but despite the Third Imperium "passing its prime" you have to admit that it has endured over the years, else we would have seen it fade away long before now.

Lord High Munchkin said:
I sort of agree, the 3rd Imperium has waaay passed its prime as a setting. That said, if you want to do it, do it. The point is to do what you love and have fun.

Amen. That's the point of our excursions into Foreven, to do what we love and have fun doing it. That's the point of all our efforts for Traveller and our other licenses.

Later!

Dale

Sylvre Phire said:
Wil, it was not my intention to slight or exclude fans of GURPS Traveller or T20. Yes, both did a lot to keep the flame burning. Mea culpa, that will be corrected. I will note, however, that you left out the Hero System edition of Traveller.

I did, but I think that barely counted - IIRC it was only out for a couple of months (with no supplements) before it had to be abandoned due to its license sunsetting when Mongoose Traveller was released. I'm not sure if it even has much of a fanbase.

While T20 is interesting, you have to question the compatibility of classes in a modern or scifi setting, instead of professions, hobbies and/or interests.

GURPS gave the game depth.

Back