Travellers Needed - The Future of Traveller

This might have already been said somewhere within the 25 pages of comments, but if there is one thing I would like to see, it would be a solo and small group (2 to 3) book, which would bring more random generation and guidance and less reliance on referee imagination.

Obviously there will always be some imagination needed to create a scene, even solo, but for instance the Mercenary 2nd edition seems like a step backwards as far as content creation compared to the 1st edition (Ticket creation system and large-scale battle rules are completely gone. We chose to stay with the 1st edition specifically for those systems. I tweaked the ticket system to create random patron missions and payouts for my travellers. It needs a pro touch, but it suffices so far.)

As a nexample of other systems which could be included, what about expanded tables for ship encounter generation for descriptions of the ship. For example, a table to roll ship type (military, merchant, pirate, etc.) then size (100 tons, 200 tons, etc.) weapon loadout (twin triple pulse laser turrets, single missile rack, etc.) and then a quick formula for hull. Like a merchant might be 200 tons + 10 tons per turret (20 tons) divided by 3 (240/3), for 60 hull. That's entirely off the top of my head and probably a wonky formula, but you get the idea, and would give variation to the ships instead of just pulling another carbon copy from the book and sticking a weapon on it, or relying on having to fully build every ship encountered.

Stuff from the Campaign Guide could be updated and brought in as well. Some of the encounters and hooks are great, and when combined with a GM emulator, work okay, but it could use an update and a section for using it in solo play could be added. A Traveller-specific GM emulator and/or location generators would be a bonus. I've converted existing ones from other game systems for my own purpose, but a professionally done system from the people that know their stuff would be fantastic!

I found Traveller because the underlying systems lend themselves well for me to be able to play alone or with my two sons, and I'm certain I'm not the only one. While TTRPGs are intended to be played with others, it isn't always easy for some of us to find or fit in with a group, so we end up missing out on amazing adventures!

Time for a couple more suggestions.

For Traveller a Zhodani Core Expedition book.
Before you embark on this ply MWM with his favourite beverage, promise to give stuff to his favourite charity, and see if you can finally put to bed the Black Ships and the Empress Wave.

For Traveller 2300, a campaign featuring the provolutionist movement, this could include more info on the Pentapods (get the FFE 2300disk, the original pentapod book manuscript is on there)

Strangely enough it is one of my favourites...
regardless of how it plays out in Marc's novels, or is brought into the Mongoose ATU, I have already speculated IMTU what it is and what caused it, not to mention why there are different versions of it.

The "official" version would have to be vastly superior to my machinations for me to go with "retcanon"

For Traveller:

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I think it would be interesting to see a campaign where the players accidentally stumble upon Dulinor's plot to assassinate the Emperor; and then try to sound the alarm while being pursued by Dulinor's forces. A campaign that would gradually lead them towards the capital in an attempt to thwart the threat. This would serve a dual purpose: a story that explores imperial politics with difficult choices to be made, and an exploration of the Domain of Ilelish.

For 2300AD:

Either a second colonial atlas, or sourcebooks focusing on a particular planet. Like the original Aurora Sourcebook or Nyotenkundu. And while we're at it, why not take the concept further with a flipside book: one side presenting a documentary by the Interstellar Geographic Society, and the other side a series of information and scenario ideas related to the Kaefers' invasion... perhaps an Allied Intelligence Report... With, of course, large-format planetary maps. (I like maps).

I've always thought the Rebellion era had potential, with the different factions potentially actually becoming true successor states, creating a sort of Warring States in space setting. Although some of the factions might have needed a bit of rewriting so that some factions became less black or white in terms of morality. Then players could have opportunity for all sorts of campaigns as mercs, smugglers, special agents or whatever of the various states.

Another idea that jumped on to my face as I was cleaning my basement. I came upon an old traveller's digest article about the K'kree and I thought: How about a campaign into the K'kree territory? Perhaps something like the Marco Polo travel's log. The PC could be part of a trade expedition sent into the heart of the K'kree empire at the beheld of the Emperor or some imperial authority. I think this could be interesting...specially if espionage is involved in the scenario.

Your thoughts?

Another idea that jumped on to my face as I was cleaning my basement. I came upon an old traveller's digest article about the K'kree and I thought: How about a campaign into the K'kree territory? Perhaps something like the Marco Polo travel's log. The PC could be part of a trade expedition sent into the heart of the K'kree empire at the beheld of the Emperor or some imperial authority. I think this could be interesting...specially if espionage is involved in the scenario.
Oh, definitely! The K'kree's purported willingness to handle sub-optimal (for them) worlds by skipping over them or populating them with lesser species could create an interesting path where choosing whether to interact with the K'kree or to sneak through their space by way of lesser systems could make for a different sort of exploration campaign.

Back