Too powerful? Greater Sunder, Sundering Parry, Great Cleave

Wakrob

Mongoose
Okay, worse case scenerio.

Eight men surround my 12th lvl Soldier and one attacks.
I declare a Sundering Parry, he misses.
I then Sunder his weapon easily (my greatsword is at 2d10+10)
I then Greater Sunder him killing him and then Great Cleave through all his friends.

It wasnt even my turn.

Or lets say I dont have/use Great Cleave.
Can I Sundering Parry all eight of them in a row? It doesnt mention it counting as a Attack of opportunity.

A side question.
Power Attack with a two-handed weapon does double result. (-5 to hit equals +10 damage)
Monster Slayer does double damage to Large or bigger creatures with Power Attack.
So does my Greatsword do +30 or +40 damage to Large when I take a -5 to hit for Power attack?
(+10 x 2 x 2) or as per standard D&D x2 + x2 only equals x3.

Opinions? Any offical people read here that could give me an offical answer? I am not the GM or I would just rule it as I want but as it is the GM relies on me to know my own rules.

Thanks
Wak

A standard D20 rule is
Double and double is x3

So double and x3 gives a total of x4.

As for the great sunder. I don't have the Sundering parry rules in front of me, but GREATER SUNDER says "if you completely destroy your opponents weapon in melee combat, you immediately get a melee attack against that opponent as if you had NOT USED YOUR ATTACK FOR THE SUNDER"

So I would have ruled as a GM given that set of occurances that you do NOT get the melee attack on the goon as if you had NOT USED YOUR ATTACK FOR THE SUNDER you would not have got an attack at all.

Great sunder sounds like something you should have to actively do.

But that is a judgement call.

ricardo440 said:
As for the great sunder. I don't have the Sundering parry rules in front of me, but GREATER SUNDER says "if you completely destroy your opponents weapon in melee combat, you immediately get a melee attack against that opponent as if you had NOT USED YOUR ATTACK FOR THE SUNDER"

So I would have ruled as a GM given that set of occurances that you do NOT get the melee attack on the goon as if you had NOT USED YOUR ATTACK FOR THE SUNDER you would not have got an attack at all.

Great sunder sounds like something you should have to actively do.

But that is a judgement call.

That would be my ruling as well.

Wakrob said:
Okay, worse case scenerio.

Eight men surround my 12th lvl Soldier and one attacks.
I declare a Sundering Parry, he misses.
I then Sunder his weapon easily (my greatsword is at 2d10+10)
I then Greater Sunder him killing him and then Great Cleave through all his friends.

It wasnt even my turn.
Loaded questions like this aren't terribly instructional. You've started by setting yourself up for the optimal situation to use Great Cleave (high level character with Greater Weapon Spec surrounded by the maximum number of opponents) and then assume that he manages to pull off the Great Cleave uninterupted - you never miss, never roll a natural one, never roll below average on damage, they never make their massive damage save, etc.

Sure there is an argument for not letting Great Sunder work off of Sundering Parry but I think I'd allow it. Does it matter that much if Mr Great Cleave launches himself off of a combat manuver rather than waiting for his next turn to come up?

Or lets say I dont have/use Great Cleave.
Can I Sundering Parry all eight of them in a row? It doesnt mention it counting as a Attack of opportunity.
I say no. The rules say that you can use one combat manouver per round. I interpret that to mean not only that you can't use two different types of manuvers but also that you can only use the manuver once.

A side question.
Power Attack with a two-handed weapon does double result. (-5 to hit equals +10 damage)
Monster Slayer does double damage to Large or bigger creatures with Power Attack.
So does my Greatsword do +30 or +40 damage to Large when I take a -5 to hit for Power attack?
(+10 x 2 x 2) or as per standard D&D x2 + x2 only equals x3.
Unless specified otherwise a double of a double is always a tripple. That is a basic rule of d20 not just of dnd.

Note however that there is a major difference of oppinion on how Monster slayer's "triple" damage works. Check this thread for more details.

Back