This looks promising game

tneva82

Mongoose
As a complete traveler-noob I have to say this is looking promising :D

When I first heard of Mongoose announcement about traveler I was like "no biggie. Not much of interest for me". After that I have gained bits of information and got interested on character creation system and bits of background.

Now with the playtest rules my interest sparked up. This is looking promising!

Have made 2 characters as dry runs. First up was pretty promising star marine who advanced to force commander very fast, then went over to be pirate(age problem surfaced) and ended up drifting. I could already see background coming up! I have always had trouble creating background but with this how's and more importantly why's come up easily. Only problem is why he suddenly went pirate(especially after superior officer took interest in career).

Second one became LOT more interesting though. Started out as an agent. Three terms of that. During second term something strange happened which caused amnestia. On third term he ran into something he shouldn't have learned and gained enemy. On fourth term he failed to qualify(I could already see the enemy pulling strings...) so ended up drafted into navy instead. By some stroke of luck he served 2 terms there(requiring double 6 on the second term to qualify...) on which first he foiled mutiny gaining an enemy and on second he suffered betrayal by friend. Yet another enemy!

With age making entry in navy pretty much impossible he ended up going to merchant trade instead for one term. Series of bad deals ended up that career though!

His last career terms ended up being as drifter(prompted by double 6 for advancement in first term...) and with second term ending in mysterious event of which he has no idea of what happened.

So we have interesting character with 2 events he has no idea about what happened and whopping 3 enemies. One contact to make up for it. Possibilities for plot hooks...Tons.

Age is pretty steep 50 but by some weird luck he didn't suffer effects from it.

Can't wait to get final product on my hand and hopefully get campaign or two of this going ;-)

Remember it's not the destination that matters it's the journey that counts.

There are many paths that lead hear ... and welcome Traveller!

Best Regards

Ewan

tneva82 said:
Only problem is why he suddenly went pirate(especially after superior officer took interest in career).

That superior officer was part of a faction of the Marines that was backing some pretty hardcore policies behind the scenes. Perhaps some extreme "pacification" operations against a world on the frontier. He was grooming your character to be part of that conspiracy, but when you found out you wanted nothing to do it, perhaps threatening to expose the whole thing. There was only one thing for that superior to do, make sure you weren't around to cause any problems. Of course he didn't expect your belief to be so strong that you would actually return to take action against the Imperial military.

rkhigdon said:
tneva82 said:
Only problem is why he suddenly went pirate(especially after superior officer took interest in career).

That superior officer was part of a faction of the Marines that was backing some pretty hardcore policies behind the scenes. Perhaps some extreme "pacification" operations against a world on the frontier. He was grooming your character to be part of that conspiracy, but when you found out you wanted nothing to do it, perhaps threatening to expose the whole thing. There was only one thing for that superior to do, make sure you weren't around to cause any problems. Of course he didn't expect your belief to be so strong that you would actually return to take action against the Imperial military.
Or maybe he was sent on an "undercover" assignment to gather information on the pirates.

The pirates don't have to be real pirates, either, they could be irregular forces operating outside the Imperial borders against non-Imperium interests. The non-Imperial state would call them pirates and officially so might the Imperium, but unofficially... And a few members of these irregular forces could, in reality, be Imperial marines and naval personnel there to train and support. Of course, *no* one would admit to that. Didn't you say a high ranking officer had just taken an interest in this PC? Hum..."Say son, how would you like an interesting assignment, a lot of adventure, and later on a really good chance at advancement? Oh, you're interested. Good! Let me tell you about...."

Dear all,

Remember that as far as regards "reasonably advanced" character ages, quite a lot of futuristic settings (including 'Traveller') have reasonable availability of anti-aging medicines and medical techniques.

So, 50+ year-olds may still not be too creaky.

Regards

Aging rolls come in at 34 and under the new rules they are fairly devastating (and expensive if you hit a crisis)

Anagathics seem easier than CT but again quite harsh on the pocket and survival rolls.

You'll be lucky to make 8 terms. :cry:

Back