Third Age EA changes; yays and nays

angelus2000

Mongoose
A thread to throw down all the yays and nays about changes to 3rd age EA.

Yays!!!
1. Avenger. Its at Raid! and it didn't lose hardly anything. Same fighters, nearly the same stats. Now a completely valid choice even for those that don't use fighters heavily. More importantly, the fighter deployment changes means all of its fighter can be out by second turn, and the Fleet Carrier recovery traits is now good on all fighters, not just its own ( Not sure about the last bit, might have been reading the rules wrong). The real winner of the 2e changes if your fighter happy.
2. Posiedon! More fighter goodness! Hull 5! Bigger nastier guns! Did I mention the 6 extra fighter flights?
3. Warlock back to war! Nuff said.
4. Artemis! I play 3rd Age EA, but this little bugger is now ridiculous. I had 2 pairs of these romping around the middle of a Vree fleet, they accounted for more damage to the Vree than even my omegas and Novas. I expect to hear the whistling of the Nerf bat soon..
5. Olympus! Virtually unchanged, but its no longer Beam bait!
6. More Broadside AD. I very much enjoy this change. Pulse Omegas are now ridiculous, Novas gained more AD as well. Hyperions got mroe viable Arcs now too, as its no longer F arc as dependent. The Command Omega benefitted more from this than any other ship.
7. Fighters! If 3rd Age was heavily fighter oriented before, its even more so now. Avengers are more easily taken, Posiedon got more of them. Even Patrol Wings have more flights (? I think). Only the Gaim can beat EA in this category now, and thats due to sheer numbers rather than quality. Hull 5 on Auroras is a huge improvement
8. Fighter Speeds! Both Auroras and T-Bolts gained 2 inchs of movement.
9. Badger Starfury! Quite nice from stats veiwpoint, I'd expect these to be a tourney and campaign fave due to its flexibility, for one off games Tbolts and Auroras are the better choice.
10. Omegas/Command Omegas! If you thought these were beastly before, you'll be drooling like I did upon seeing the stats. Omega gained Beam Dice, evened out the pulse cannon dice between P/F/S, and picked up some Mini beam in the P/S arcs. Command Omega got nothing but weapons improvements, its raw damage potential is staggering now. Lumbering trait kinda sucks, but not as big of a disadvantage as it is with the Nova.

Nays!!
1. Novas! I was really hoping this ship would get better, IMO its now the worst choice in Raid PL and worse in 2e than it was in 1e. The amount of things left unchanged or degraded is not made up by the improvements. Very hard to justify using 2 of these now over a Hyperion and Avenger. Lumbering especially hurts now.
2. Afterburners! Wah, I want them back. Not really a nay though, keeping track of which fighters had afterburned was a pain, and the 2 extra inchs of normal speed makes up for it.
3. Ship choices! The 3rd Age list is the smallet of three, it was like that in 1e, but even more so in 2e. Only the Omega at battle, most of the raid and Skirmish variants are gone, though the base line ships themselves are much better. Only War level gained in improvement, gaining the Warlock. I'd expect so see future 3rd EA lists to be heavily concentrated in the Battle/War PL range
4. Light Laser Cannons on Omegas! Still haven't quite figured what to do with these. Only 4 AD and SL, the Mini Beam and extra range are nice. Not really a Nay!, more like a WTF!, if they werent SL easily a Yay!
5. Anti-Fighter trait! Farily prevalent in Early and Crusade Era, seems to be lacking in 3rd age to a large degree. Not a big wrinkle though, as its even easier to field fighters now, and the starfury has now the speed to intercept almost anything.
6. Dodge 3+ on T-Bolts. What the Aurora gained, the T-Bolt lost. If the loss of Dodge on Tbolts was done to justify the Hull 5 on Auroras, I'd much rather it back to the old Arma stats.

Summary.
By and large I love the improvements. More and better fighters, the emphasis on P/S arcs over F arc, the Warlock back etc etc. I loved playing the only real EA Fleet list, and almost eveything is an improvement. Great Job!

However I did say.. . almost everything. My only serious rankle and whiff of nasty is the Nova. 2 AD more in the P/S arc do not justify the Lumbering trait in any way, shape, or form. Hoping for Hull 6? Nope. More Damage? nope. AP or DD? Nope. More range ? Nope. More inteceptors? nope. Its 2 real advantages in 1e were its fighters, which got seriosuly eaten away by the Avenger move, and its P/S broadsides, which is now questionable as its much harder to get into a position were its useful due to Lumbering. Either give it Hull 6 (which I think it should have always had), increase its Damage/Crew track (its very nearly as big as an Omega), or reduce the AD back to 12 and give it AP. Something, anything. The only real bonus it got in 2e is that its not as easy to kill with Beams, and thats a mere side effect, not an intentional change.

Well, the lumbering on the Nova (or other big ships) can be overcome with deployment.

If you deploy them about 2 moves worth of distance to the side of your main `block` of ships (you know where you want them roughtly to be after all in turn 2) and deploy them in a more or less sideways position, they will end up nice and comfy in the middle of your battle line, with the Broadsides facing the enemy and its front and rear arcs covering the flanks of your main fleet and provide a solid firebase around which you can force teh battle to be played.

Usually works, I even did it that way in the 1st edition. Only the Vree and the ISA with their speed / superdoopermooper moves might proof a bit hard for that, but then again they are fast as hell for non lumberings as well...

thing is, most players could do this for most lists. Lumbering is no where near as bad as you seem to make out, good initial deployment and a decent thought out move and it shouldn't matter really.
At the end of the day most things just require a change in your thinking, heck, least you haven't had a complete fleet change like the poor centauri.

Hey don't feel sorry for us, I love the change. It's much more faithful to the source material and iconic ships are born-again hard. We've come out on top of this one.

Incidentally, since my books still haven't arrived from ID, can anyone run through the Lumbering trait for me?

A ship may only make one turn, and cannot move after it has turned.

And yeah, I love what they've done to the Centauri, made me rethink tactics a bit, but Vorchans went from near-useless targets to OMG! Which can only be a good thing

Lord David the Denied said:
Hey don't feel sorry for us, I love the change. It's much more faithful to the source material and iconic ships are born-again hard. We've come out on top of this one.

Incidentally, since my books still haven't arrived from ID, can anyone run through the Lumbering trait for me?

Phone em up and pester! they did run out of books but as far as i know got another order in quite quickly

Eh, thunderbolts were always overpowered. They had defensive stats exactly the same as the aurora, with twice the firepower. This brings them more in line with what you should expect, though they are still really nasty for the numbers of them you get.

I like the Dargan at Battle as it fits in the speedy centauri fleet where as you can also do the Bruiser Slugger fleet of the slow ships.

I feel 2e is going to be more about close range slug-fests of batteries of guns blasting the decks out of one another. It does make for some good gaming.

I felt with 1e that alot of people just designed long range beam fleets and with the odd man or 2 it was a 20-30 inch contest of who had the bigger gun.

so wait, the Novas no longer have laser/pulse arrays, just pulse cannons?

edit: and no more Hyperion CC? why did they take that out? it really helps

Which is kinda funnny, new beam rule would have made utilizing the Laser mode a lot more beneficial in 2e. Gah, Nova screwed again! :(

Can you imagine how good that would have been on the Warlock though. Aswell as your main boresight beam having the potential of another strong beam in each arc. Ouch. :shock:

Back