Thinking about buying some of the current line....

rvrratt

Mongoose
or should I wait for the evo models? I hear the miniatures are hard to put togther and a real pain. My idea was to buy some of the current models and try out the new evo rules. I'm thinking of starting out with a light Mobile Infantry box set. What do ya guys think?

The MI are just fiddly, that's all. I found them no harder to assemble than the Space Marines from 40K.

The LAMI were a REALLY good deal, and while they're still awsome, you might find the best bang for your buck being Pathfinders.

Buy into the game now, show up at a SST:Ev table with figures that you put time and effort into, and rub that fact into the kids' noses! :D

The light armor guys are really easy to assemble since they are single-piece casted metal miniatures. You just have to put them into a slotted base. If you go that route, you'll want to keep in mind that you'll probably have to add more non-painted guys if you want them all to match. I am guessing it will be pretty tricky to get a good paint match with the prepaints.

The other short coming with the current LAMI box is that while you get 2 10-person squads in the current box, you get a few minis that might not have a decent function. The sniper and coms trooper have no evo rules as of yet. Further, you'll have to do some conversions for more missile launchers. The ML conversion was simple IMO, as the launcher is pretty boxy. I got a square basswood piece of similar width and cut it to length of the launcher. You can detail it to your liking, I just made the cut part where it rests on the shoulder. Once done just glue it to the back of another trooper(make sure its not the reporter). Another reporter can be made in the same fashion, but the camera replaces the morita. The retreating female makes a good candidate for a reporter as she is holding her gun out, making it easy to chop and replace with a camera.

I would say that the current LAMI box would make a good demo set. You can make 2 squads with reporters and 2 MLs(with conversions). If you want to make an LAMI army later, you can choose whether to add more metal LAMI, or just start over with prepaints.

It's only really a few of the big bug models that are awkward to put together (tanker+variants and brain, Plasma goes together beautifully).
Rest of them are pretty easy once you've built a couple. The light armoured troopers are metal and mostly fully-formed straight out of the box, so no problems there. If you want bugs you might want to pick up one of the warrior mega-swarm sets as a core force (think they're included in the 25% discount on SST plastics if you order directly from Mongoose). The LAMI box should give you 2 squads, but will be a bit light on heavy weapons (think you get one of each, and one of those isn't included in the basic EVO rules stats). You can check out the contents on this site's catalogue and order singles as spares to round out the squad.

Cool! Sounds good and might as well take advantage of some of the deals going on. It may be quite a long time till we see Starship Trooper Evolution so might as well try it out now.

Thanks for the advice! :D

The Cap Troops are a bit fiddly but are pretty nice figures. The Pathfinders are most excellent.

I like the LAMI. You don't need to convert a missle guy since you can buy the LAMI specials pack.

I also really love the ExoSuits. I am pretty eager to get the full rules for those since there's only a Cougar LT and a Grizzly Squad, whereas my guys are made into groups Grizzly LTs and NCOs and Cougar squads.

I'm also a big fan of the current Skinnie models.

Of course I've been going through a buying and painting binge in SST stuff lately so my opinion is definately a bit different than some.

Wow, I'm excited! I will be ordering the this stuff soon but in the meantime I will be focusing on ACTA2ed for demos. Too many games, not enough time!

Tell me about it, rvrratt. I end up painting way more than I play.

I've painted 2000 points of Bugs, 2000 points of Pathfinders, about 1000 points of Skinnies, two 40k armies, one Warhammer Fantasy army, two WarMachine armies, and several DBA armies this summer.

You know what game I've played the most, though? Battlefield Evolution. Figures I end up spending all my time playing a game that's prepainted when I've been painting like a fiend.

CaseyGMU said:
Tell me about it, rvrratt. I end up painting way more than I play.

I've painted 2000 points of Bugs, 2000 points of Pathfinders, about 1000 points of Skinnies, two 40k armies, one Warhammer Fantasy army, two WarMachine armies, and several DBA armies this summer.

You know what game I've played the most, though? Battlefield Evolution. Figures I end up spending all my time playing a game that's prepainted when I've been painting like a fiend.

Battlefied Evolution is my main game too. Love it man. As we speak I have some ISA Ships and a PLA J-12 Fighter/Bomber on my paint table and here I am talking about Starship Troopers! I need some help man! Heck, I'm lucky if I get a game in once a week. I guess I get most of my gaming in at the cons.

Sounds like you been quite busy too!

Add a box of Roughnecks to it.

Will the plastic Cap Trooper is a nice model and easy to convert, you'll find that the Roughnecks are splendid.

I just chopped off both Rico's and Dizzy's head, and replaced them with a regular helmeted one.

Now they are part of Haldeman's Dust Devils (and that T'Pai model is truly good also)

s

MI plastics are a pain to assemble.

But the MI metals are all one piece items. The Cap trooper Veterans is a box I'd recommend.
The metal kits like the CHAS and exosuits are fairly simple, and you don't need that many.
Plastic MI you just have to sit there and assemble them. I've got another 15 to go before I can paint them, and it makes me really appreciate things like Veteran Cap troopers.

I never found the MI to be difficult to assemble. Sure, the very first one took me a while, but after that it was no problem. If anything, they are fantastic for the ease of customization.

rvrratt said:
or should I wait for the evo models? I hear the miniatures are hard to put togther and a real pain. My idea was to buy some of the current models and try out the new evo rules. I'm thinking of starting out with a light Mobile Infantry box set. What do ya guys think?

CAP troopers can be a bit of pain, but once you've doen a few you get used to them. The thing that bugs me most about them is the shoulder and armour pieces, always seem to ge more glue on me than on the figure at times :D

The bugs are easy enough to do , though if you get hoppers you might want to modify how the wings fit in as otherwise they stick straight out, which personnally I think looks V.poor.

Tankers are ok, though take your time when fitting the back small legs
hope this helps

Back