Things We Do Not Love About B5 RPG (please get involved!)

For me (mostly repeating what others have said before) :

• * Better indexes
    * Labeled pictures for races and ships
    * "Modernisation" of rules; i.e. new names for skills sounding more sci-fi and rely less on fantasy leftover (as suggested by Black Campbell)
    * An official GM screen

In that case, don't let him. think of those poor fools playing...... On second thoughts, let him. The problems can get tried out on them first.

I agree the Fasa Trek system had some merit, if nothing else as a set of instruement panel based ship forms that depend on the ship's size. Keep in mind most small ships only need one pilot though, and we never really delve into ship positions as we do in Star Trek Personally I would almost prefer if they limit ships to Starfighers and shuttles for any real detail and reserve big capital ships for a bigger game. (ACTA or SFOS) or perhaps sell the phip system seperately for those who intend to run life on a ship kinds of campaigns.

Minis, I personally would be fine with a CMG set up ala D&D miniatures as they work well for both skirmish gaming and roleplaying, but I am sure players would argue my logic here,

I applaud the decision to go OGL, but please keep in mind that this also gives you a chance to really tweak the rules and make things more attuned to the B5 universe (rather than a D&D afterthought like Star Wars and Spycraft) take a page from green Ronins Mutants and Masterminds (not that I am saying copy thier revision, just that it is a good example of how much you can alter the d20 engine make an excellent game that feels both unique but still has enough in common with the original game to not feel alien.)

I'm completely down for the OGL thing. As I said over in my review @ revolutionsf.com I don't know why the didn't go OGL to begin with.

KaosDevice said:
I'm completely down for the OGL thing. As I said over in my review @ revolutionsf.com I don't know why the didn't go OGL to begin with.

The power of the D20 logo in marketing I assume.

And the bit that I REALLY hate.
Concentration being off the Constitution stat. Concentration is a case of mind over body NOT the other way around. It should be a wisdom based skill NOT constitution.
How healthy you are bears no resemblance to how well you can concentrate on what you are doing. Look at any person with a physical "disability" especially the ones who does let it disable them but work around or straight through it.

Looking through the new Starship Troopers RPG the vehicle system is a big improvement over the current B5 one. Maybe Mongoose could adopt it for the Mk2 version.

Or if there is going to be a bigger change then perhaps a Tri-Stat version of B5?!

DW

Yes! As much as I would hate to buy all those supplements again :roll: , I would much prefer to see a Tri-Stat conversion. That would be the way to go! Ahh, the dream...

Mopngoose are already looking at bringing out new vehicle movement rules, at least for spacecraft combat. And I think they know better than to invalidate all the preexisting siupplements, or they'll have me to deal with! Ted Chang or no Ted Chang!

:lol:

LBH

Existing supplements will not, repeat NOT, be invalidated. Parts of them will (such as the stat blocks for ships, as we will likely have a new system for them) but we wil make this as painless as possible. For ships, for example, we will have all major ships (with new stat blocks) in the main rulebook. Every other ship that has ever appeared in B5 (and our past supplements) will be updated in one volume, Ships of the Galaxy - a mighty tome that will look so pretty, you are going to want it anyway :)

That, I believe, will be the biggest change in terms of existing supplements - we will likely have a small chapter in the main rulebook devoted to other changes needed to supplements if, indeed, that much is needed.

So is ships of the Galaxxy going to be held off until the 2nd edition, and will character and NPC stas be similartly updated for all the supplements. Like a Who's Who of Babylon 5.

Good to know I haven't wasted all my money so far MAtt!

LBH
:D
(Happy now)

Actually that would be really useful, a list of NPC's, main & generic for those who find that they haven't written up what they need just before4 they are due to start. Just what you might run into or away from.

Back