Thier Own Fantasy Setting

interesting idea but the problem is that.. there are soo many Fantasy Worlds out there that we realy dont need yet another one. and the Tear factor has been tried in other games and I belvie thoes games never worked due to the fact that most players realy dont want to deal with it

Soooo many fantasy worlds you say? Well maybe so but there will be many more as guess what the current ones grow old and people look for something new and different.

Saying there is too many Fantasy worlds is like saying there are too many fantasy authors. Shall all the writers of the setting stop because there is too many writen books on the topic? or shall they put pen to paper and see what they can scratch out and oh maybe just compete with the others.

Not that it should be a compitition, but imagine for a second that David Gemmel, or R.A Salvotore (spelling sorry) or Robert Jordan said you know what I cant write that there are too many already out there.

If you write it and it appeals to the fans the fans will buy it simple.

I notice and this is no dig at anyone, but its usually fans of another system or a different setting that will say oh we dont need another one. If that were the case why do we bother having a secotion called what should Mongoose publish next. As if Fantasy is done one can only assume Scifi is next then what do we do? stop creating new and interesting game worlds?

think about it hommie :)

CARTMAG said:
interesting idea but the problem is that.. there are soo many Fantasy Worlds out there that we realy dont need yet another one. and the Tear factor has been tried in other games and I belvie thoes games never worked due to the fact that most players realy dont want to deal with it

Its not a matter of quantity Cartmag its an issue of quality ;)

The appeal of what im suggesting would not just be the setting but a rulese system that deals with the most commonly griped about issues and provides something new, interesting and workable "Mechanically". Have that backed up with an appealing setting and you have gold..pure and simple.

I would urge anyone reading this thread for the first time to check all my posts as I made each individual suggestion mechanicswise and individual post.

Neo said:
Characters could still have levels and need certain amounts of XP to go up, but instead of gaining a level in a class they gain Advancement points (a lot like folks will see in Runequest) which they can use to improve skills they have used or spend (along with cash and time order to learn a new skill), improve a statistics, improve a save or attack bonus, or purchase a Feat. Indeed all class benefits at the moment could quite easily be converted to feats or steps of improveable feats... with a system like this you would have near limitless customisability whereby the kind of character they becomes depends largely upon how they have been roleplaying.

Mutants and Masterminds use a level system based on Power Levels. So Advancement Levels, shouldn't be a problem. And too bad I didn't talk about my ideas on this particular forum instead of Conan. Those guys threw a fit whenever I mentioned trying to make modifications to the system.

I also thought the class features could be made either into feats or skills. So I'm right there with you.

dunderm said:
Mutants and Masterminds use a level system based on Power Levels. So Advancement Levels, shouldn't be a problem. And too bad I didn't talk about my ideas on this particular forum instead of Conan. Those guys threw a fit whenever I mentioned trying to make modifications to the system.

I also thought the class features could be made either into feats or skills. So I'm right there with you.

Along similar kinda appraoch as M&M's power levels but with the noted differences.

I'm a big fan of Mongoose quality of products and would certainly look at a new world created by Mongoose.

In order to have a world that is unique from the other settings available - either mechanics wise or settings wise (preferably both) - the world would need a visionary to oversea the entire production to make sure everything would fit within the original and hopefully unique idea. I like a lot of the ideas you have put together Neo mechanics wise.

But the importance of the setting can not be understated as that is what would draw in many gamers, IMO, more-so than just the mechanics. A really great setting has to have a definitive and throughly fleshed out background that builds the foundation that will be your new world. That is the creative aspect that would be the most labor intensive as the mechanics could be tweaked from other settings/games. But creating something original - that's not easy.

Great thread Neo! 8)

Strom said:
I'm a big fan of Mongoose quality of products and would certainly look at a new world created by Mongoose.

In order to have a world that is unique from the other settings available - either mechanics wise or settings wise (preferably both) - the world would need a visionary to oversea the entire production to make sure everything would fit within the original and hopefully unique idea. I like a lot of the ideas you have put together Neo mechanics wise.

But the importance of the setting can not be understated as that is what would draw in many gamers, IMO, more-so than just the mechanics. A really great setting has to have a definitive and throughly fleshed out background that builds the foundation that will be your new world. That is the creative aspect that would be the most labor intensive as the mechanics could be tweaked from other settings/games. But creating something original - that's not easy.

Great thread Neo! 8)

Thanks Strom

I agree that the detail and vision of a setting needs to be done right as well (somethign some of Mongoose's writers excel at), but one of the percieved issues I have noted with regard to most settings for D20 so far is that is all they are..just fluff and beyond a few feats, spells, prestige class they don't really offer any new insights mechanically.. That is a true shame as thier are common issues mechanically that can be dealt with and imporved ..indeed I raise a lot of them on this thread. A happy balance of fluff and mechanic would definitely be the goal to aim for.

The ideal set up in my mind would be four books.. a Setting Book (all the info needed to begin, timelin, history, regions, leaders, key locations, Guilds, Organisations, Settlements, important personages, religions, etc), a Rule Book (all the mechanics to play except character generation, task reoslutions, ability checks, combat, travel, conditions, magic, designing campaigns, adventures, city generators, encounter tables and more), a Players Book (all the necessary information to generate characters, races, professions, skills, feats, advancement, spells, religion benefits and miracles, equipments and goods and the like), and finally a Fauna and Flora Compendium (monsters and animals of all kinds, how to make them, advance them, shrink them and grow them also including humanoids of many standard types guard, watchmen, knight, priest etc.. all that can be modified by race info in order to give you a near limitless selection at your fingertips whenever you need them. finally details of all the herbs, plants and fungi of the world and effects (good or poisonous) thier preparation, season of growth, difficulty to harvest and prepare etc.).

Beyond those four books Races and Regions could be expanded more in books of thier own in the future along with adventures...but the typical four book (as above) type arrangement is usually more than enough for anyone to get on with.

I also think its important a setting not ber overly detailed..it should leave some areas'd for a GM to expand on in his own way, simply provide hooks or questions that can be answered individually to suit the flavour of your own game. I remember an old Mekton Empire supplement from R Talisorean that was like that many of the players and regions were detailed but in each section some mysteries, historical details and npc's had sections to add in your solutions or reasons for why these things happened or did what they did..it was a nice way of giving you a detailed setting but with room for everyone to make it thier own to some degree.

Strom said:
A really great setting has to have a definitive and throughly fleshed out background that builds the foundation that will be your new world.
Absolutely - good mechanics should enable a wide variety of backgrounds so that GMs and players who don't want to build their own can jump in. And strong and wide settings can easily feed subsequent setting books (making money for the publisher) as well as a strong fan base (which often breeds the less-profitable bits such as adventures)...

I think Neo's 4-book thread is a good summary of the generic pattern for many settings, being already followed in loads of setting books (even SST RPG which has all 4 in one) and enabling follow-ons.

Strom said:
But the importance of the setting can not be understated as that is what would draw in many gamers, IMO, more-so than just the mechanics.
Yeah. A lot of work. And that's the key - building a setting which can be believed in as well as easily developed by players AND the publishers. Interestingly, I think the Pavis setting (from Chaosium's Glorantha) worked within this really well - GMs had a ready-made background & raison d'etre plus a flexible location which they could tailor or not, as they required.

I suspect the Conan environment might also be one such ready-made setting. It could be a really flexible environment, as well, esp. if supported by Runequest (and no, I don't want the RQ vs D20 argument) for the gritty-feel players as well as the D&D players - multiple player-types in one go.

But how do multiple system publications really get on in the market?

Something else I'd really like to see would be more tactical combat... something more interactive and tactical than a simple roll against a static unchanging number from round to round that largely can only be modified by spell or gear.. actual skill at arms should play a more significant part.

As such I think fighting Styles should be introduced.. these should be feat trees so much as proficiencies.. for example swordfighting is not a catchall term it actually represents hundreds of different fighting styles, some culturally specific, others specific to certain weapons and so. It would be far more interesting if combat was broken down into manoeuvres... lets say
Offensive Moves
Swing. standard attack does listed damage, no modifier to hit
Chop. does x1.5 damage at a slight penalty to hit
Thrust. does .5 normal damage but provides a bonus to attack

Defensive Moves
Parry. opposed roll if successful weapon takes the damage, counterattacks with shield or offhand weapon possible
Block opposed roll if successful shield takes the damage, counterattacks with weapon possible
Avoid opposed roll if successful you avoid the blow altogether, but may not counterattack

Each round everyone must declare one offensive and one defensive manoeuvre they are using. With these three basic offensive moves and three basic defensive moves combat instantly becomes more interesting... now throw into the mix weapon styles each of which provides certain bonuses to certain moves against certain other weapon styles, while incuring penalties against other styles.

for example the master of the broadsword may be strong in swinging and chopping but weak in avoid and parry, also weak in all areas against polearm style, while strong against axe fighting style and Fencing

In this way not only what you fight with but how you fight from round to round has an instant impact..the balance of power can change from round to round..tactics become important... one trick ponies no longer constantly win simply because they have the highest strength and the biggest weapon..

And the best part is all that is changed is the base attack roll has been changed to three offensive and three defensive moves and beyond that it is all a matter of applied modifiers..no more difficult than any skill roll with situational modifiers..simplicity itself.

Halfbat said:
But how do multiple system publications really get on in the market?

Only dual statted games i'm familiar with are the Tri Stat ones put out by Guardians of Order, they seem to do well but definitely have thier own fan bases.

Neo, I've worked with tons of different gaming systems. They all have strengths and weaknesses. Many of them claim to be the ideal systems or even go so far as saying they are a true universal system. I continue to collect RPGs that may offer something new in the mechanics of the game, but although some have come close, none have succeeded. Every RPG has several distinct parts to their design, and they do not always flow well together. I'm going to explain them in separate posts on the Off Topic Discussion threads. I hope you can find time to read them, for I think you may find them informative.

I have already explained a few unique system features of other RPG games that might give you a few ideas. I will be constantly adding more game mechanics that have been invented.

Your desire is to create better mechanics for d20. But are you just modifying mechanics already in place or creating completely new ones?

If you are creating new ones, it is no longer OGL or d20, it is a new RPG. You will either end up publishing it on the net, or forever be frustrated. Because Mongoose will not be interested in it, IMO.

dunderm said:
Neo, I've worked with tons of different gaming systems. They all have strengths and weaknesses. Many of them claim to be the ideal systems or even go so far as saying they are a true universal system. I continue to collect RPGs that may offer something new in the mechanics of the game, but although some have come close, none have succeeded. Every RPG has several distinct parts to their design, and they do not always flow well together. I'm going to explain them in separate posts on the Off Topic Discussion threads. I hope you can find time to read them, for I think you may find them informative.

I shall read them Dunderm but I am by no means unfamiliar with a dichotomous array of differing RPG's myself, after 25 years of play I have run and own hundreds of systems.

Your desire is to create better mechanics for d20. But are you just modifying mechanics already in place or creating completely new ones?

A little of both

If you are creating new ones, it is no longer OGL or d20, it is a new RPG. You will either end up publishing it on the net, or forever be frustrated. Because Mongoose will not be interested in it, IMO.

I already publish plenty on the net my site is filled with fan based material.

I disagree that by altering things it won't be D20 or OGL as firstly the fundamentals of what im suggesting dont change..thereby keeping the system D20, however some fo the mechanics needs revamping and weak spots building on or replacing, which is entirely the point of the Open Gaming License. However at present the vast majority of 3rd party material isn't creating new mechanics or re-doing the weak points system wise it is simply adding on options..prestige, feats, items, spells..all the stuff that is nice but doesnt really help the system issues any.

damn neo you have some great ideas, ive only read part of the first page so far but i will come back tomorrow when its not 12:30 AM on a school night and read the rest of it. from what i have read so far though it sounds like you need to go out there and make your own RPG!! :lol: would be awesome!

veon said:
damn neo you have some great ideas, ive only read part of the first page so far but i will come back tomorrow when its not 12:30 AM on a school night and read the rest of it. from what i have read so far though it sounds like you need to go out there and make your own RPG!! :lol: would be awesome!

Thanks Veon, glad you liked the ideas :)

I was just starting to get the thread going in the hopes of getting some interest and sharing soem ideas, seeing what other people had considered or come up with as things they would like to see to improve a fantasy game and setting..with the hopes of getting the 'Goose to take note..but then Easter happened heh.

I'd love to write my own RPG and although I've had four or five things published to date none of them have been Big books or articles I doubt I'd have the patience for it unfortunately as I have a lot of things going on most of the time so by default kind of fall into the "Additional Material By.." category of writers as opposed to the "Written and Produced by.." group. I'd love to be able to site down and roll out huge detailed manuscripts like Vincent, Matthew, and Gareth etc.. do.

They could try making a deal with wizkids and making Mageknight thier offical fantasy game of choice. If you're familiar with heroclix, mageknight is just like that exsept with the fantasy element.

dunderm said:
Or you could make up a polyglot world like I did, to represent about every culture under the sun.

http://www.dunder.com/magic_myth/LegMap.html

Then they would not have to put out much effort for doing up a fantasy setting.

A world that represents "loosely" about eveery culture under the Sun is essentially what the Forgotten Realsm by Wizards is. And also Howards Conan.

I certainly like the idea of lending some cultural ideas from our own historical cultures globally as they make easy reference and descriptor points and because they are instantly recognisable by players.. but it is always nice to include something new and unique.

Im going to watch your site ;)

I like your ideas. If you ever start selling to Irish gaming shops (I dont have a credit card) count me in.

D20 has a lot of problems and I think too many companys think people only play one system these days.

I have played a heap ofd6, d8, d10 and d20 systems. And I perfer a system that has been designed to do what it does. Modern d20 while nice is not as good for gun combat as cyperpunk. And there is magic systems I like better.

Back