The Traveller Companion - PDF & Pre-Order

Aye, I’m aware that some (perhaps most?) of what I’ve got is better suited for discussion rather than book entry, but in the off-chance that something should be in the book I’d prefer to voice it before the book goes to print :)

I’ve sadly not had the opportunity to read the entire book yet, but here’s what I’ve got so far:

P.47 what are rapid fire and very rapid fire? Simply higher auto ratings?

If so, what are the auto values for them? Something like rapid fire = auto 5+ and VRF = 9+ perhaps?

Disabling wounds (p.50)
Presumably the character’s normal END modifier is used, and not the current, modified-by-damage value? Otherwise everyone would be at -3, since END gets reduced first..?

Landing in rough terrain (p.85-86)
Finding a wilderness landing spot using passive sensors:
the Recon or Pilot skill can be used but the check is Very Difficult (12+) and the landing is subject to all the potential hazards of a wilderness landing.
Does the last part mean that if the 12+ pilot check is failed, a wilderness table check is done? And if the 12+ check succeeds the landing is a normal one?

Jump precipitation (p.141)
Does the jump still expend the full amount of fuel?

Transponders (p.158)
Am I right in assuming that a transponder set to active mode mean that it will be automatically detected by anyone in range?

P.160 dogfight missiles, two per firmpoint. Is this in addition to any weapon carried on the firmpoint? Meaning a standard light fighter could carry two dogfight missiles as well as a pulse laser?

Also, they follow missile rules, right? So the +4 to hit helps ensure to hit the target, but won’t translate to additional damage due to effect?

Finally, please ignore my previous question regarding gas giants. That was a case of me not thinking clearly...

As a devoted Mongoose Traveller fan who has been very vocal in my criticisms regarding not correcting errata, let me say THANK YOU for posting the corrected Companion.

Still can’t figure out how or why a stingstorm has Persuade 1. :D

Rapid Firing: Bear in mind that these rules are designed to fit any campaign, and do not link solely to the CSC (and we did not want to illustrate the rule with every weapon fitting into every category). It comes down tot he individual referee to play with, but I would advocate anything above Auto 6 as being Very Rapid Fire. Use the examples on the next page as a guide.

END Checks: I would not make that presumption, no - the lower your END, the harder things get (same with healing in the Core Rulebook, for that matter).

Rough Landings: Yup, hit them with that table if you feel it appropriate.

Jump Precipitation: Absolutely, the fuel is burned. I would venture that the fuel (or most of it) is burned at the point of making the jump, but that will open a can of worms - burn the fuel immediately to make things simple.

Transponders: I would call that a plot thing - yes, detection is automatic, until the referee needs it not to be (for reasons).

Dogfight Missiles: Not the intention to mount them alongside other weaponry, but if you want a fighter to do so... can't see an issues, Some aircraft do that with ASRAAM and similar today. They do indeed follow missile rules.

msprange said:
Thank you for your comments - the Traveller Companion file has now been updated. Simply re-download and you will be good to go!

I purchased the PDF direct from the Mongoose website rather than via drivethrurpg and just re-downloaded it, but it doesn't seem to be an updated version.

Thanks,

Dan.

Rapid Firing: Bear in mind that these rules are designed to fit any campaign, and do not link solely to the CSC (and we did not want to illustrate the rule with every weapon fitting into every category). It comes down tot he individual referee to play with, but I would advocate anything above Auto 6 as being Very Rapid Fire. Use the examples on the next page as a guide.
Well, regardless of if we use CSC or not, the terms Rapid Fire and Very Rapid Fire are, to my knowledge, undefined, as opposed to single, burst and full auto. Hence my question. Looking at the examples, the Vulcan machinegun is auto 6 and the VRF Gauss Gun auto 12, so using 6+ as VRF works. As you imply, the exact numbers aren't that important, knowing that the additional fire modes mentioned are simply higher auto ratings lets us use the table. Thanks.

END Checks: I would not make that presumption, no - the lower your END, the harder things get (same with healing in the Core Rulebook, for that matter).
Alright, so the table is designed assuming that under normal circumstances, most travellers rolling on it will be at -3? Looking at the table, it seems to work out fine!

Rough Landings: Yup, hit them with that table if you feel it appropriate.
Well, that's how I interpreted the quoted part. I do note that there's a difference between
Using passive sensors said:
the landing is subject to all the potential hazards of a wilderness landing.
and
Just land right there said:
they are exposed to all the risks of a wilderness landing.
"Potential hazards" being the key.

Jump Precipitation: Absolutely, the fuel is burned. I would venture that the fuel (or most of it) is burned at the point of making the jump, but that will open a can of worms - burn the fuel immediately to make things simple.
Sounds reasonable, and probably how I'd do it if I didn't have anyone to ask. The potential lethalness of being stranded in the middle of nowhere means I'd most likely only use it as a plot device though.

Transponders: I would call that a plot thing - yes, detection is automatic, until the referee needs it not to be (for reasons).
Great, thanks!

Dogfight Missiles: Not the intention to mount them alongside other weaponry, but if you want a fighter to do so... can't see an issues, Some aircraft do that with ASRAAM and similar today. They do indeed follow missile rules.
I just don't see why anyone would mount two dogfight missiles instead of four regular missiles on a hardpoint, especially since each regular missile slot can fit 4 dogfights. Granted, it seems only regular missile launchers can carry 4 dogfight missiles per missile slot, but still 2 mini missiles or 4 regular?

Same with the interceptor missile, and it even states
If carried on a small craft’s firmpoint,one interceptor missile can be carried on a rail, or a standard missile rack can be used.
So I can mount a single interceptor missile, or up to 8 if using a regular launcher?

ochd said:
I purchased the PDF direct from the Mongoose website rather than via drivethrurpg and just re-downloaded it, but it doesn't seem to be an updated version.

Can you have another go? I uploaded that myself :)

Thanks, I just did again -- I searched for one of the errors pointed out above (page 140: 100-diamter limit) and it still appears.

Dan.

ochd said:
Thanks, I just did again -- I searched for one of the errors pointed out above (page 140: 100-diamter limit) and it still appears.

Try another - that was not an error, and was answered with the reasons why just a few posts above :)

Oh, I might have misunderstood, in that case. I thought that the updated PDF included corrections to minor errors that were pointed out on this thread (like 'diamter' on p.140 or the lack of a full stop at the end of the second para on page 2).

If not, then no worries. I can live with mistakes like that -- particularly if it allows for Shadows of Sindal to come out sooner :D

Thanks,

Dan.

Those were fixed - just checked the file again, in case I went mad the first time.

I have re-uploaded it to our site. Could you try again, please?

Thanks for the release, the re-release, and your responsiveness here!

I just want to make sure I'm understanding I understand what happens when a ship is precipitated out of Jump:

1. The normal amount of fuel is used, as if the ship completed the full jump.

2. If the ship precipitated out of jump because you rolled under 100 diameters on the Distance Variance table, you roll the Bad Jump END and INT checks, and then you roll on the Very Bad effects table with a -2 DM. In this case, you'd know there was something wrong during the jump

3. If the ship precipitated for another reason (e.g. passing too close to a rogue planet), then the Jump Precipitation section says "The crew may have no warning that this has occurred until they re-enter normal space." Does this mean that you would not roll the END and INT checks (since those effects imply a sense of disorientation and unease throughout the jump, which the crew would most definitely notice), but then you roll on the Very Bad effects table anyway with the -2 DM, so that your jump drive might still be damaged?

Thanks!

Just a quick semi-related question - Is there any idea when any of the new Traveller books will be added to the Bits & Mortar website? The last updated files were back in June of last year... ;_;

Minelayer bays:
Just a thought, but Is the capacity of minelayer bays perhaps a bit too limited? They can deploy a single mine every 2D minutes, so on average one per round, space scale.

The bays do not hold any mines, unlike other physical ammo bays, so the entire bay would presumably be geared towards mine deployment, but they’re still limited to one per round?

Perhaps it’s just me, but it does sound a bit low? Same with manual deployment, on average an hour per mine? Not that I’ve done much mine-deployment in space myself :)

On the other hand, thinking a bit more about the matter... If an earth-sized planed counts as adequately covered by less than 50 mines, they’re gonna be spread quite thin so actual deployment speed isn’t nearly as important as travel time between deployment points...

Please be aware that these comments are not official, and this is an area where the referee can use his own judgement, as befits his campaign. This is just what i would do if it happened on my gaming table right now. And is certainly subject to me changing my mind!

Jump Dave said:
1. The normal amount of fuel is used, as if the ship completed the full jump.

I would say yes.

Jump Dave said:
2. If the ship precipitated out of jump because you rolled under 100 diameters on the Distance Variance table, you roll the Bad Jump END and INT checks, and then you roll on the Very Bad effects table with a -2 DM. In this case, you'd know there was something wrong during the jump

This seems reasonable - though a referee might rule the Travellers know nothing until they emerge. I could see it going either way.

Jump Dave said:
3. If the ship precipitated for another reason (e.g. passing too close to a rogue planet), then the Jump Precipitation section says "The crew may have no warning that this has occurred until they re-enter normal space." Does this mean that you would not roll the END and INT checks (since those effects imply a sense of disorientation and unease throughout the jump, which the crew would most definitely notice), but then you roll on the Very Bad effects table anyway with the -2 DM, so that your jump drive might still be damaged?

What is making me hesitate here is likening these effects to O2 deprivation - to an extent, the crew might not at all be aware something is wrong. Again, I would likely leave this to the individual referee and the needs of his campaign and the current adventure.

Basically, plot trumps science.

If you wanted a hard rule though, making those checks would alert the players and so it might make sense to pass that onto their characters.

Lime2K said:
Just a quick semi-related question - Is there any idea when any of the new Traveller books will be added to the Bits & Mortar website? The last updated files were back in June of last year... ;_;

We should be up to date on those files (let me know if that is not the case), and the next to be added will be Element Cruisers.

msprange said:
Lime2K said:

We should be up to date on those files (let me know if that is not the case), and the next to be added will be Element Cruisers.

As of right now, Marches Adventure 2 - Mission to Mithril (MGP40017) and Reach Adventure 5 - The Borderland Run (MGP40018) are not on Bits & Mortar.

Another thing regarding missiles (p.160-161):

The dogfight missile gets DM+4 to hit, including when used with point defence reaction. This suggests that, on average, a single dogfight missile takes out several incoming missiles.

The larger interceptor missile has DM+2 to hit, not stated outright to include point defence reactions.

So far, it looks like dogfight missiles are superior as long as we just look at point defence reaction. Interceptor missile are possibly equal to a (one use only) triple laser turret (depends on if their DM counts for reactions as well) whereas dogfight missiles would equal a quintuple turret if that was a thing (+1 per additional weapon in the same mount). Even if we assume that each missile can only shoot down a single incoming missile, the small dogfight gives us better DM - and strictly following the point defence reaction rule, they can both shoot down a number of missiles equal to the effect of the gunnery roll.

When using the missile combat rules on p.161 however, interceptor missiles automatically destroy one incoming missile while dogfight missiles have a 3+ chance of success.

Suddenly the interceptor looks more attractive, especially since it can be used before point defence reactions, to thin the numbers. Both weapons can shoot down a single missile (which is reasonable) but the more agile dogfight missile has a harder time doing so. Weird, considering how difficult it is to fail a regular gunnery roll with DM+4...

Am I missing something here, or would I be better of using missile combat rules to fire interceptors and then switch to regular point defense reaction rules when launching dogfight missiles?

Do container-launchers count as turrets or fixed mounts for tonnage requirements? A fixed mount generally requires no tonnage while a turret consumes 1 dt...

Back