The Traveller Companion - PDF & Pre-Order

JMISBEST said:
roughly how good A Diplomat is my Npc

This is an invalid question. Measuring "how good" requires some standard of measurement, which you have failed to provide and is not otherwise apparent.

Also, your question is off topic. This thread is about the Traveller Companion, not specific NPCs that can be made with it. Please avoid thread hijack of this type.

WingedCat said:
JMISBEST said:
roughly how good A Diplomat is my Npc

This is an invalid question. Measuring "how good" requires some standard of measurement, which you have failed to provide and is not otherwise apparent.

Also, your question is off topic. This thread is about the Traveller Companion, not specific NPCs that can be made with it. Please avoid thread hijack of this type.

Sorry I didn't realize you couldn't make topics within topics. Honest mistake

Some more errata from a fellow forumite who's having trouble logging in. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vwLE4yXFA2tD0FNc5n7E48bPrK-VGAOINRLAVqU88qc/edit or see following copy & paste:

Traveller Companion Errata Notes:
Format will be displayed as the following:
Page / Paragraph in question / correction

Page 2 / 2nd paragraph “This volume contains…” / full stop missing from end of paragraph.
Page 6 / 8th paragraph “On another day, ...” / Incorrect use of semicolon on line 3: “This goes badly;”. Should be a colon or full stop.
Page 6 / 8th paragraph “On another day, ...” / Incorrect use of apostrophe on line 5: Arix’ . No need for it.
Page 6 / 8th paragraph “On another day, ...” / Apostrophe on line 7 should be followed by s. Arix’s. - This is an error throughout. I won’t highlight every single one. Arix’ should be followed by s.
Page 7 / 9th paragraph “Even relatively…” / Too long a sentence in second half. On line 9 replace “...to be fun, so it is….” with “....to be fun. It is…”.
Page 8 / 11th paragraph “SOC-9-11..” / Line 7. Replace “....circle, eg. to attend…” with
“... circles, such as attending the….”
Page 9 / 13th paragraph “Effective SOC can be reduced…” / Line 3. No page number given when referring to Core book.
Page 10 / 1st paragraph “If a Traveller’s…” / Whole paragraph is one sentence. Suggested edit on line 4. “...Deception or Diplomat check. This will convince people….
Page 10 / Paragraph 3 “Increasing SOC to 11…” / Line 5, missing comma before “but”.
Page 22 / Paragraph 1 “This option enables..” / Line 6. No need for “However, “ at start of sentence. Change to: “...bases. There is also…”
Page 22 / Paragraph 3 “The amount of point..” / Line 3. Incorrect use of semicolon “...varied; 250..” Change to “... can be varied. For example, 250 points…”
Page 23 / Paragraph 2 “Benefit item…” / Line 4. Colon missing after “include”.
Page 24 / Paragraph 4 “Likewise, some…” / Line 4. No need to use semicolon.
Page 24 / Paragraph 8 “Affinity and Enmity as Indicators” / When it talks about net -1, does that mean you then use the table entry that shows -1?
Page 25 / Affinity table / 0 - No positive affinity : You’ve already declared that Affinity is positive on the previous page. Also affinity should be capitalised. Otherwise add “negative enmity” on the Enmity table.”
Why are Affinity / Enmity results of 0 worded differently? If you’re just after a net result then shouldn’t they be the same?
Page 30 - Page 32 / Entry requirements / Colonial and School of Knocks are automatic if certain criteria are met. Can a traveller still apply if the criteria are not met? Not confirmed.
Page 34 / Truther / No assignments or flavour text under qualification like other careers.
Page 38 / Paragraph 4 / “Experience Points are…” / Replace full stop with colon.
Page 38 / Paragraph 6 “These points…” / Replace “...trying to develop, and cannot…” with “...trying to develop. They cannot…”
Page 42 / Various / Missing more example skill checks showing difficulty and time of the various trades.
Page 47 / Paragraph 5 “Natural Resilience” / Line 3. Incorrect use of semicolon. Replace with full stop.
Page 47 / Paragraph 6 “Knockout blow” / Talks about: If the Traveller’s END is reduced to 0. Then about introducing it when against large number of foes. Clarify wording to apply the rule to the enemies in the combat, for example:
“When a character’s END is reduced from it’s starting value to 0 in a single attack they are knocked out instantly. Even though they may have other characteristics above 0. This is a good rule to apply to a large horde of weaker enemies that the Traveller’s may be facing.”
Page 47 / Paragraph 7 “Random First Blood” / Rephrase to read better: “...any combat is applied randomly to STR/END or DEX, and damage after that can be allocated to any other physical characteristic.” Can the Traveller change their characteristic any time they take damage?
Page 52 / Paragraph 3: “Meanwhile, Arix…” / Line 5. “..a 4-40 points of damage!” Should that be a range or a single number to show the example?
Page 55 / Gravity table / 9 is missing. Missing world size code for above ten? Eg. 10+ / 11+ ?
Page 61 / Missing entry for Atmosphere 10-11-12
Page 61 / Paragraph 11 “Extremely Dense…” / Sentence error: “(Atmosphere 13) of greater than 2..”
Skimmed until page 141. Couldn’t find any glaring issues.
Page 142 / Distance Variance table / Below the table it refers to Jump Precipitation effects. But by nature of this table, the players will have arrived at their destination. The worst result is that having arrived below 100D of their target world they may have a small time delay. What are the effects of jump precipitation when a ship hasn’t been caught by a rogue planet at the start of their journey?
Page 142 / Distance Variance & Time Variance tables / Because modifiers could be negative, amend 2 to be “2 or less”.

This is probably just a temporary thing, and might be due to new release status, but the Traveller Companion is #1 on DriveThruRPG right now: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/top_100.php . I believe this is ranked by sales.

This is probably just a temporary thing, and might be due to new release status, but the Traveller Companion is #1 on DriveThruRPG right now: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/top_100.php . I believe this is ranked by sales.

I've won enough on The Lottery to afford this Book and want my fellow users of this Website to tell me whether they think I should do A PDF or A Pre-Order and why they think I should do it that way. Thank you

PS all my earlier comments on The Traveller Companion where ideas of mine that where based on what I saw in The Full Preview

A handful of typos/clarifications for the pot:

Page 51, Crippling, critical, mortal, and devastating wounds: all are worded as "taking between X and Y times the traveller's END score in one attack". This doesn't make it clear what happens on multiples of the target's END score. For example, if a target with END 5 is hit for 15 damage, is this a crippling or a critical wound? Also, for a critical wound, I think it should read "STR, END *and* DEX are reduced by D3+1 each."

Page 52, the example with Mike is a bit off. If the dock worker has an END of 8, then 14 points of damage is not enough for a crippling injury (which would be between 16 and 32 points).

Page 140, Jump Masking, second paragraph, has a typo “100-diamter” should be “100-diameter”.

Page 141, Jump Precipitation has a typo "100-diamter" should be "100-diameter". Further on there's a sentence that I believe should read: "Thus a vessel attempting a 6-parsec jump *that* is precipitated out of jumpspace by an object encountered 1.5 parsecs from the starting point still takes the normal time for the jump."

JMISBEST said:
I've won enough on The Lottery to afford this Book and want my fellow users of this Website to tell me whether they think I should do A PDF or A Pre-Order and why they think I should do it that way. Thank you

PS all my earlier comments on The Traveller Companion where ideas of mine that where based on what I saw in The Full Preview
If you have the money do the pre order - costs £41 (including P&P), drop Matthew an email a you get the PDF as well. The PDF on DTRPG costs £23.50, so you are getting the hardback for an additional £18.

WTF? How many errors in this book? This does my head in, I mean how easy would it be for someone to spend a week reading this book properly and correcting it before its printed to stop all these errors. Ridiculous.

Common with many games anymore. You purchase the PDF and become an editor assisting in spotting errors and reporting them. Lots and lots of eyes assisting one harried editor. The PDF is updated with the information then the cleaned up version is used to produce the hardbound book while you receive the final PDF.

At least you're not purchasing a hardbound version of the playtest like Pathfinder 2 to edit. I don't believe they give you a free final edition.

This is a cottage industry, so I’m fine with it as long as they make an effort to make corrections and post an updated PDF. Given the total lack of response from Mongoose to the errata posted on this thread, I’m not optimistic.

A couple from the weaponry chapter:

Carronades (pages 164-165) do not have a tonnage listed. They use 4 hard points, which suggests that they are almost as big as a large bay. Their damage is huge for a turret/barbette, but poor for a bay. Their size is important not only for displacement, but also for determining who they crit and also whether they should have penalties to hit small targets. Lastly, contrary to the flavour text, their medium range is unremarkably short (fusion and plasma guns normally have medium range).

Page 165, ground defence guns similarly lack tonnages, which could be useful for vehicle design.

Hey everyone,

Thank you for your comments - the Traveller Companion file has now been updated. Simply re-download and you will be good to go!

Sweet! I've got a couple of questions/clarification requests that I haven't gotten around to posting yet, but I'll check the updated file first, and then try to post them ASAP if they've not been addressed.

Please do - we have drawn from comments made here, Reddit, Drivethru and Discord, but always interested in hearing more!

Sure, I'll try to check today and compile and post a list before the week is over.

Off the top of my head, it concerned the various auto ratings in the ammo chapter (RF, VRF not defined), some details regarding wilderness landings, transponders (active transponder = auto detect?) and gas giant operations (does hull configuation and aerofins affect the various checks?).

I will look forward to it - be aware though that some of those things you mentioned are more suitable for answer here than in the actual book, and some things open the door to a much wider subject than can/should be dealt with here or in the Companion. For example, I cannot think of a reason why the likes of aerofins would not help within a gas giant, but that kind of thing is probably best left to the referee to adjudicate.

Happy to discuss though!

Back