The Sword Woman

Arkobla Conn

Mongoose
I recently ran across an unexpected find...a book by REH named 'The Sword Woman'. Anyone know anything about the book?

It was in pristine condition, had nice illustrations and I was turning books in for credit, so despite it's 10 price tag, I picked it up. I haven't read it yet, but will do so soon...

Isn't that one of the Dark Agnes stories? I think they're quite rare (I've never read one, not that that proves anything).

I think The King is right, she's a prototype Red Sonja, a swordswoman from medieval France in this instance (she's definately French, but I might have the historical period wrong).

Red Sonya of Rogatino is featured in the Robert E. Howard story, "The Shadow of the Vulture" (available in "The Sowers of the Thunder" as well as other places) which takes place in 1529 AD. That story is not collected in "Sword Woman." "Sword Woman" is a collection of Howard's Dark Agnes stories.

The Dark Agnes stories in "The Swordwoman" are really good. Her orgin is very well done. She is very hot tempered and earns her name! Enjoy. 8)

Arkobla Conn said:
I recently ran across an unexpected find...a book by REH named 'The Sword Woman'. Anyone know anything about the book?

It was in pristine condition, had nice illustrations and I was turning books in for credit, so despite it's 10 price tag, I picked it up. I haven't read it yet, but will do so soon...

If you know to read Spanish, there's a free tale of her - the first Agnes' story - in the website http://dreamers.com/lospulps/agnes.html

Back