The Orieni Empire in the ISA Era for A Call to Arms

Interesting ideas.

A few things to remember:

*The ship classes from WCR which are still in service in the modern era, such as the Paragon and Prophet, have updated ship diagrams compared to the old ones - and new weapons, such as war lances and stuff.

What would you suggest for the modern-day versions of these ships?

*Internal Orieni history - do note the added details in Showdowns 11, where issues such as the integration of the Rogolons, the development of the OISF, and the camapigns in the devastated zones are detailed.

Most of that material is worth considering, too.

*Troubled Times - hmm.

Bear in mind that most of the star systems which had been on the frontiers between the Republic and Empire are now devastated zones, virtually abandoned by both sides, and even after the consolidation of the reborn Empire was still a formidable impediment to any future encroachment on the Centauri sphere of influence.

I guess it would be easier to imagine that the Centauri were keeping as much of an eye as they could on the Orieni, but were not quite ready to see how well they had developed themselves - hence the fleet deployments during the Dilgar War.

But then, what if the Centauri knew about the Orieni expansions all along, and about the fact that the Orieni were (for now) planning to abide by the Treaty of Seliffe - and thus used the re-deployment as a convenient way of keeping the Royal Navy out of the Dilgar War?

The Minbari part would perhaps have been a case of re-doubling efforts - note that Earth itself did just that at war's end, in a desperate bid to catch up to the Federation's technology level. See how one can go from Hyperion to Omega to Warlock in roughly 25 years or so, with the right 'help'...

...and it does not mean that the Orieni would get any farther than the ship diagrams in S11 and TGC indicate.

*Orien and the Babylon Project - Hmm, again.

Perhaps the Blessed saw a conveniently-timed vision, in which they were warned not to send overt pilgrimages to B5?

Of course, there could still have been agents sent to follow the Council meetings, and possibly the odd Blessed trying to sneak his way aboard - maybe even speaking to some of the Council members off-camera - but if the Empire's leaders saw a sense of wisdom in keeping their cards close to their chest in the short to medium term, and were 'persuaded' by a stern telling-off, they might well have focussed mostly on their own efforts.

Perhaps the Vorlons worried about the religious aspect of the Orieni to be disruptive to their plans for B5.

Perhaps they saw the Orieni as a useful reseve card, to call upon if the Shadow War got ugly.

Perhaps the Blessed weren't quite ready to accept a role in a club organised by a species not of their own - or needed more time to adjust to the idea than the galaxy was willing to permit them.

Perhaps the jump routes to Epislon Eridani from Orien arent' stable enough for regular contact - despite the efforts of Orieni jump-route-creating task forces.

Or perhaps the Vorlons simply abandoned them to their fate - and had already dismissed them from consideration in the Alliance of Light.

(One could argue that the Vorlons would, ironically, have been more receptive to Orieni overtures had a secular governeent been in power on Orien at the time - they are supposed to be in the business of helping species prepare for their Third Ages, after all.)

Of those, I think that 'Vorlons telling them to get lost' seems sensible - they have no problem allying with or supporting other races; allied alien races seem to be integrated fairly equally into the imperium.

Plus, as you say, it might have caused all sorts of problems for Kosh.

"Why is there a crowd of alien priests following you around calling you the 'angel of light', ambassador Kosh?"

<I assume they're trying to get me to donate to some charity...never seen them before, honest.>

"I'm not entirely sure I belive you, you know."

*The ship classes from WCR which are still in service in the modern era, such as the Paragon and Prophet, have updated ship diagrams compared to the old ones - and new weapons, such as war lances and stuff.

What would you suggest for the modern-day versions of these ships?

I'm tempted to say 'leave well enough alone'....one can do a substantial re-arrangement, but if one bit of the ship gets better, another has to get worse; none of them get increased enough to justify a priority increase (since one has to be twice as 'ard to do so). Furthermore the Paragon is already war priority and I personally feel that no ship without ancient tech should be able to reach armageddon priority - besides which that would leave nowhere for the bitek-enhanced Paragons to sit, and if you move the Prophet up to war then it becomes identical to the regular Paragon.

That said, you're right, they will need changing - if only because they now carry Templar-II fighters instead of Templars. That isn't that big a deal (compared to the fighter change in the EA Nova-class, for instance).

With the War Lance being double damage, upping the broadside weapons to War lances basically doubles a Prophet's broadside punch. That has to come at the expense of something.

Well one has to remember that the Vorlons have no problems discarding failed experiments either. Its quite possible that the Vorlons did not see the Orieni being useful because of their defeat. Personally, I think that the Orieni were perhaps part of numerous experiments by the Vorlons in terms of using telepathy.

First generation: Creation of a telepathic race such as the Ascori in order to determine how telepathy can be introduced into other races.
Second generation: Integration of Minbari telepathy to make super telepaths which become a failure known as the Kira Zhe in Minbari legend (see Minbari Factbook from RPG)
Third generation: An experiment is conducting into introducing telepathy into a race to serve as a balancing stabilizing factor that can bring order to society which is successful.
Fourth generation: A somewhat scaled down version of the Kira Zhe being introduced into the Orieni population to make a more controlled society which became a success with the telepaths being a religious leader caste who neatly bring order to Orieni society.
Fifth generation: Installation of telepathy within Humans in order to see if such an ability can be made quickly within a developing civilization.

Not really relevant to the whole conversion aspect but just thought I would jot that down.

As for why the Orieni don't go to B5... well its quite a long way for them... sure, some of the League worlds are also but the Orieni have Centauri, Vorlon and Minbari in their way which means they would either have to take the long way or go covertly both of which are difficult.

Praised the Vorlons for they had come forth and showed the enemy their true strength.

Hallowed are the Vorlons

This is the advantage of borderline insane religious zealotry. You're allowed to have double standards because anyone you wish to smite quite clearly deserves it.

The Vorlons have no problem discarding failed experiments but the problem is that the Orieni were aware of the Babylon Project, so would have been quite capable of arriving under their own steam. Short of the Vorlons actively telling them to get lost, you can't keep them out if they don't want to be kept.

We are quite able to add in to the history that the Vorlons did do so, by the way. It's just an observation that the act of ignoring the chance to help bring order and stability to the galaxy shouldn't be unexplained because it's very out of character for the Orieni.

I wonder what would have happened if it turns out the Vorlons built their very own Ark of Truth...

...things might get messy.

Anyway, sorry the thread has been so dormant - but anyway.

Based on the stuff we have in the thread so far, how far off could we be from a v1 document, good enough to actually get some playtesting in?

I've been slowly pottling through the twenty-first century war, and will put that out as soon as I get it done. I've not been covering this one but a lot of stuff repeats itself from one to the other (at least in general design)

The Orieni have to be one of my favorite races from b5wars and I'd like to share my opinion on the matter.

-Orieni worshipped the Vorlons and considered themselves "touched" by the "gods"

-Orieni hate the Drakh for betraying them and leaving their worlds defenseless when the Centauri counter attacked.

-The Orieni hate the Centauri

-The Centauri crippled the Orieni economy and industry at the end of the war

-The Drakh now hate the Orieni for destroying their homeworld

So my thoughts...

Orieni needed a lot of time to rebuild both economically, industrially, and defensively. But with an emphasis on the first two as they lost their "subject" races at the end of the war. Because of this rebuild I doubt they would throw much into R&D for military when their people suffer lack of jobs, food, and other basic needs. Further this with the Orieni seeing this loss as a "will of the gods" to end their agressive expansionism.

With nearly 250 years to rebuild and lack of any real war or battles to further military development I would say that their tech at the end of 2010 (for those that have access to b5wars sheets and those refits) would reflect what they're using today for ships and weaponry. Simply making use of what they've had previously designed.

Through peaceful negotiations, with the Abbai and other league races, they learn that the Centauri sided with the Shadows, enemies of the Vorlons, and worse yet that they both have left the galaxy. Abandoned by their gods the Orieni question their faith and try to find fault with themselves as to why their gods have left them. However, even more grave news is learned. The shadows had servents, the Drakh, of which whom have stayed behind and gone as far as to viral bomb Earth. To the Orieni Earth, at least in the form of John Sheridan, stood against the Shadows and currently standing against the Centauri attacks on traders (not knowing the Drakh are truely behind the Centauri skirmishes).

Filled with rage that the Drakh survived all so long ago, the Orieni see this as a chance to redeem themselves in the eyes of their gods. The Orieni economy and industry shifts into full war mode and begins to churn out cruisers, corvettes, and fighters. They may be of old design, but they are merely a vessel for the Orieni vengeance.

As they begin their crusade against the Drakh they learn that the Abbai have done the same. Truely the gods have praised the Orieni's actions if the once Pacifists, the Abbai, have joined in their "holy war" against the shadows of the Shadows.

locarno24 - I see.

I was hoping that a pdf could be done for an ISA-era fleet - not least so that scenarios involving other ISA-era fleets could be played out properly - but I've gotten all too rusty with ACTA to be able to treat it fairly at this stage...

blackphoenix - bear in mind that the Mongoose b5 universe is somewhat different.

For example, whatever status that world had for the Drakh, it was not their home world - their history is mapped out in the RPG's Drakh sourcebook, and such a world would be, at best, a semi-permanent colony.

Not that they would have been above trying to fool the Orieni into thinking it was their home planet, mind you...

hmm true re history re the rpg - but also worth remembering that MGP are also quite detached from the RPG in ACTA (odly) and ignore when it suits them - eg Darkness and Light...........

Back