The little mooks that could

wyerdo

Mongoose
I believe that the original edition allowed characters to move, make an attack, and then continue to move up to their maximum standard move. I was able to use this rule to make a stunning effect recently.

The other day, I GM'ed a game wherein a gaggle of 1st level mooks were able to knock the stuffing out of a high-level highly armored opponent. The gaggle started within about 15ft from the PC. One by one, each would move and attack the PC and then continue their move away from the PC to make room for the next. The first few did little, of course. The PC easily parried their attacks, then mercilessly hacked them down until his attacks of opportunity ran out. However, as the attack pressed on the piling rule began to swing the attack in the mooks' favor. The last 1st level goober had an unbelieveable +19 to its normal attack bonus (there were twenty of them). The mook got a critical, which was confirmed easily, and the PC went down fast.

Has anyone else tried this tactic on PCs that think they can take on an army on their own? Does the AE edition change this ruling?

Heh. No, the original edition never let you take a standard action in the middle of a move action, unless you count Greater Mobility.

sbarrie said:
Heh. No, the original edition never let you take a standard action in the middle of a move action, unless you count Greater Mobility.

Uh, yes. See Fighting on the Run p. 168 Just one more way the Conan RPG increases its body count above and beyond the call of duty.

Oh and Wyerdo, good show! 8) My players are learning to fear and respect the hordes of mooks as well (though I usually prefer the usage of lots of reach weapons and aid another's for my cannon fodder). I'll have to make sure and introduce them to this trick next chance I get.

wyerdo said:
Does the AE edition change this ruling?
Nope, its the same in the AE.

That is indeed an evil trick. :twisted: It will surely raise the motivation for getting the feat Combat Reflexes.

Though, of course, none of them (except the last) can charge this way, and so they must all be within 30 feet (generally) of the character to start with.

Is there even room for that many mooks within 30 feet of a given character, without surrounding him to begin with?

>>Is there even room for that many mooks within 30 feet of a given character, without surrounding him to begin with?

That could be where I cheated. I thought that this result was a little broken. The mooks are based on American pennies rather than honest 1" squares -- and we play freeform rather than on a grid. I was able to just push them all into a tightening circle around him.

I was able to get the mooks into position by rushing the PC with the leader NPC who could take a bit more damage. The PC decided to use a full attack to bring down the leader and gave the mooks a round to get into position.

I'm sure if the PC had at least one other friend flanking him -- even just if they stood in the way to keep the mooks from pushing past -- I wouldn't have been as successful.

FYI -- the PC did have combat reflexes. He made four AoO vs. the mook parade. Next time maybe I should use reach weapons to make the challenge that much more sure.

In retrospect, I could have made it even more devastating if I had made the leader NPC hold action an initiative pulse and go *after* the 1st level guys. Does a power attack with a +20 bonus scare anyone?

wyerdo said:
Does a power attack with a +20 bonus scare anyone?
Scares the crap out of me. Just keep in mind that the bonus from Power Attack can't exceed your BAB. Otherwise, things could get a little to freaky. :wink:

>>Just keep in mind that the bonus from Power Attack can't exceed your BAB. Otherwise, things could get a little to freaky.

Yeah, I know. I was thinking more in terms of a two-handed warsword chop that could also be finessed.

wyerdo said:
>>Just keep in mind that the bonus from Power Attack can't exceed your BAB. Otherwise, things could get a little to freaky.

Yeah, I know. I was thinking more in terms of a two-handed warsword chop that could also be finessed.

I think you might mean "two-handed Broadsword" instead of "warsword".

A high STR 2-handed Broadsword finesse with max power attack.
+20(for piling on)+(DEX mod)-(1/2 Power attack)+BAB = to hit
+(1.5xSTR)+(Weapon)+power attack = damage (with 0 armor DR- probably)

If you're an finesser with a good strenth and Power attack - 2-h Broadsword is the way to go.

argo said:
Uh, yes. See Fighting on the Run p. 168 Just one more way the Conan RPG increases its body count above and beyond the call of duty.

Well, look at that. And that movement's part of the standard action?

Ain't that a heck of a thing.

>>I think you might mean "two-handed Broadsword" instead of "warsword".

Yes, you are absolutely right. I don't have my rulebook in front of me, so I just guessed. Honestly, I don't even remember for sure if 'warsword' is even a weapon type in Conan.

>>Ain't that a heck of a thing.

Yes, it is.

Beware when you introduce this that what is good for the goose is good for the gander. PCs can't move in the midst of a cleave, and they can't move farther than 5' and make a full attack. However, if your PCs go through mooks like mine do they will soon learn that they can move, do a metric buttload of cleaving, and then continue to move right into the midst of more enemies to set up their next full attack opportunity. This tactic is particularly devastating from Barbarians who more or less ignore all but the most dire threats of AoO as they slip right on by.

Let's just say that the "wall of bodies" technique of guarding sorcerers no longer works.

Anonymous said:
If you're an finesser with a good strenth and Power attack - 2-h Broadsword is the way to go.
A broadsword can't be used for finesse attacks, a warsword (in 2 hands) can.

Trodax said:
Anonymous said:

Page 137 - last sentence under Broadsword.
"A broadsword being wielded two-handed can be used as a finesse weapon if desired."

A War sword can also be used as a Martial finesse weapon if wielded 2-handed. Page 140.

So, Wyerdo - you were not incorrect.

Conrad_Joe said:
Trodax said:
Page 137 - last sentence under Broadsword.
"A broadsword being wielded two-handed can be used as a finesse weapon if desired."
Ooooh, I see! Sorry. :oops:

Back